The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
jjarvis
What course are you doing, that media is so very much better?

education studies and maths.

year 1 counts for 10% of my degree. Easiest 10% i'll ever get!
Reply 21
daytona01
education studies and maths.

year 1 counts for 10% of my degree. Easiest 10% i'll ever get!

I wouldn't necessarily say your degree's any less respected than media. If anything, the fact that it has maths suggests it might be more reputable.
Reply 22
jjarvis
I wouldn't necessarily say your degree's any less respected than media. If anything, the fact that it has maths suggests it might be more reputable.

I took Psychology and Maths combined at a more reputable university a few years ago, and the level of maths in this course is dire.

Hope uni was ranked bottom of the league tables last year and have declined to publish their rankings for this year.

It is a bad university, and I would take on media at a more reputable one without a second thought if i thought it was going to lead somewhere!
jjarvis
I would have thought more people would be in the 2:i/first bracket than that at Hull. I stand corrected...

marking at hull can be pretty stingey.

out of Law first year modules only about 4 got a first and the % of 2.2's is higher than 2.1s'
Reply 24
daytona01
I took Psychology and Maths combined at a more reputable university a few years ago, and the level of maths in this course is dire.

Hope uni was ranked bottom of the league tables last year and have declined to publish their rankings for this year.

It is a bad university, and I would take on media at a more reputable one without a second thought if i thought it was going to lead somewhere!

Ah. Have you considered the Open University? Probably better reputation than Hope... (What a charmingly ironic name...)
Reply 25
Broderss
I don't mean to put you down but so far I have got above 80% in all my work. You shouldn't worry though because the first year does not count toward your final grade so you should take this as practice and you should use the feedback from these assignments to get higher marks later on.

I am slightly different from most though since when I did a part time uni course at 19 I just finished a ND media couirse so still had most of my school and college work in my mind and got A's and B's(was a Scottish uni)

I seem to have gotten worse academically the last few years due to being out of the system plus the reason why I didnt go to uni at 21 or 22 was due to a family death.

For me what I already have is a massive accomplishment but I dont want it to be my peak, I would be happy in the 60 range i.e if I got 61% would be happy and relaxed, 64% would me be boasting(not in a smug way) to my friends and this was 2 essays I did with no notes and no idea what I was doing since I started course late I had no course material to work from.

I'm not a big uni, I am at a small campus(not even in Hull) where there is little equipment and funding and tiny classes.
Reply 26
jjarvis
Ah. Have you considered the Open University? Probably better reputation than Hope... (What a charmingly ironic name...)

nah a degree is a degree.

i'm not entitled to funding anyway until i'm in year 2. No point leaving it now. I'm just gonna try and get a first and hope it doesn't look TOO bad :smile:
What do you want to do after graduating? In other words, why did you want the degree?

Also, if you don't use notes/books, you'll not get a 2.1 -- dyslexia (and dsypraxia) or not! Did you not have any references? Were you supposed to?
jjarvis
What are you studying? Unless you're doing an arts subject it's not really a fair comparison. (As a mark of comparison, I reached the highest mark ever awarded in one of my modules--not this year, but in the time the class has been taught. I got a 75. Anything over 70 is a big deal in most arts courses.)
I got 75 in my first essay. :o:

I suppose it's not altogether uncommon, just very much in the minority.
Reply 29
jismith1989
What do you want to do after graduating? In other words, why did you want the degree?

Also, if you don't use notes/books, you'll not get a 2.1. Did you not have any references? Were you supposed to?

Had no idea what to use as because I transferred in late I could not access blackboard and had to literally get a photocopy of the essay titles and spend a while googling info.

I dont know if the marker took that into account as he said he would but dont know how much if any same for disabilities.

After graduating to be honest I dont really plan to do anything major, just a job that hopefully pays about double minimum wage or even £10 a hour but not sure how I will feel in a few years time when I plan to settle down and meet someone as I know kids and mortgages cost a lot!
Reply 30
jismith1989
I got 75 in my first essay. :o:

I suppose it's not altogether uncommon, just very much in the minority.

Oh yeah, I've got marks like that in other essays. It varies marker to marker/course to course/uni to uni. In history I've found it easier to reach high firsts than in politics. The highest mark in one module I did last year was a 73, in the module where I had the highest in the time it's been offered it was a 75. 75 isn't my highest mark--but it is higher than anyone else (out of 60 students) got in this course. It sounds like we're both anomalous, though.
Reply 31
The_Goose
marking at hull can be pretty stingey.

out of Law first year modules only about 4 got a first and the % of 2.2's is higher than 2.1s'

True, but law is generally considered to be a much tougher course than media. (Also, I have no idea what first year marks at Edinburgh cluster around, and I knew people who had to retake first year, or who got a string of thirds and 2:iis. My own experience might well be deceiving...)
MittenKrust
I dont know if the marker took that into account as he said he would but dont know how much if any same for disabilities!
Personally, I don't believe that tutors should award extra marks for disabilites (and I have Asperger's syndrome, similar to dyspraxia). University is academic: if, for whatever reason, you aren't suited to academia, it should be reflected in your grades. As you say, you only want a minimum wage job anyway, so it's not as though it's a necessity for you to do very well. It's no good having high grades on the basis of disability and then not being able to do what an employer might expect you to. Harsh, but fair. I'm sure you can improve anyway -- dyspraxia, to my mind, has very little effect on academic performance (in fact, if anything, it's associated with higher than average IQ/academic performance) and dyslexia can easily be overcome in essays with the wonders of spell-check software (indeed, your spelling seems not to have posed any problems here).

If you want to do better, just make sure you're on top of things and put in as much work as you might any other part-time job. Even if you're at the class late, find out what you need to read/do (ask/e-mail the tutor, if necessary) and read/do it! Also, don't be complacent: doing the minimal work set will, of course, result in your getting minimal grades. It's easy to improve, if you're willing to put in the effort. As Thomas Edison said, "Genius is one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration"; true, too. :smile:
I wouldn't be happy with it but whatever makes you happy.

One of my friends just got an 85 back from her first essay. And she goes to SOAS, not some poly.
Reply 34
MittenKrust
I know 40% is generally a pass and above 60% is great but what is 50-60?

Just very paranoid since I started course later than others but lecturer said he would take that into account plus meant to get leniency for my dyslexia and dyspraxia but dont know if they have, and if they have if they marked me up because of this and my work isnt good

There is no way to please you, is there? >_<
jjarvis
Oh yeah, I've got marks like that in other essays. It varies marker to marker/course to course/uni to uni. In history I've found it easier to reach high firsts than in politics. The highest mark in one module I did last year was a 73, in the module where I had the highest in the time it's been offered it was a 75. 75 isn't my highest mark--but it is higher than anyone else (out of 60 students) got in this course. It sounds like we're both anomalous, though.
My highest grade was 80 recently, which I was very impressed with. On the whole, though, I've got more 2.1s than firsts: I can ace essays, but exams are a tougher breed. It's a shame that essays count for so little! :rolleyes:

Of course, though they can pretend otherwise, there's always some degree of subjectivity in marking arts essays, so as long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters. First-class grades can be relatively rare though.
Reply 36
jismith1989
My highest grade was 80 recently, which I was very impressed with. On the whole, though, I've got more 2.1s than firsts: I can ace essays, but exams are a tougher breed. It's a shame that essays count for so little! :rolleyes:

Of course, though they can pretend otherwise, there's always some degree of subjectivity in marking arts essays, so as long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters. First-class grades can be relatively rare though.

Interesting. I got a number of 80s on history essays in second year, and an 80 on one exam question last year. My final marks last year all clustered 70 to 73, so I was pretty happy with that--apparently the variation between exam/essay performance (sometimes better in one, sometimes in the other) ultimately evened out.
Reply 37
Bubbles*de*Milo
I wouldn't be happy with it but whatever makes you happy.

One of my friends just got an 85 back from her first essay. And she goes to SOAS, not some poly.

:eek3:

Wow. That's the highest mark I've ever heard of for (presumably) an arts course at uni. Well done her. Those marks are few and far between, and tough to come by.
jjarvis
:eek3:

Wow. That's the highest mark I've ever heard of for (presumably) an arts course at uni. Well done her. Those marks are few and far between, and tough to come by.

She does History of Art. Honestly I was like :eek: :eek: :eek: where's this genius been hiding!?
Reply 39
Your doing fine OP, I wouldn't worry about your marks. Its very difficult to say whether your grades are good or bad really. I mean one mans 2.ii is anothers first. Marking is a very subjective thing, so I would just make sure you do your best to get a 2.i overall. It does make me laugh that so many TSR members automatically give a response with their own grades as if trying to get some kind of 'pat on the back' from other posters. Its not impressive, its just marking.

Latest

Trending

Trending