Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chap54)
    Your doing fine OP, I wouldn't worry about your marks. Its very difficult to say whether your grades are good or bad really. I mean one mans 2.ii is anothers first. Marking is a very subjective thing, so I would just make sure you do your best to get a 2.i overall. It does make me laugh that so many TSR members automatically give a response with their own grades as if trying to get some kind of 'pat on the back' from other posters. Its not impressive, its just marking.
    Marking is to a degree subjective, but there is a substantial difference between work that gets a 2:ii and work that gets a first.

It isn't difficult to say whether grades are good or bad, though. Objectively speaking, a third is a poor mark. A first is a strong mark. Whether the marks or deserved, or would have been awarded differently had the marker been different, is a different question. But there's nothing difficult about saying that a First or an A is better than a C or 2:ii. Even if it is "just marking", employers set store by the "just marks" that universities award, and universities set store by the "just marks" students earn in A levels. Don't be naive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Personally, I don't believe that tutors should award extra marks for disabilites (and I have Asperger's syndrome, similar to dyspraxia). University is academic: if, for whatever reason, you aren't suited to academia, it should be reflected in your grades. As you say, you only want a minimum wage job anyway, so it's not as though it's a necessity for you to do very well. It's no good having high grades on the basis of disability and then not being able to do what an employer might expect you to. Harsh, but fair. I'm sure you can improve anyway -- dyspraxia, to my mind, has very little effect on academic performance (in fact, if anything, it's associated with higher than average IQ/academic performance) and dyslexia can easily be overcome in essays with the wonders of spell-check software (indeed, your spelling seems not to have posed any problems here).

If you want to do better, just make sure you're on top of things and put in as much work as you might any other part-time job. Even if you're at the class late, find out what you need to read/do (ask/e-mail the tutor, if necessary) and read/do it! Also, don't be complacent: doing the minimal work set will, of course, result in your getting minimal grades. It's easy to improve, if you're willing to put in the effort. As Thomas Edison said, "Genius is one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration"; true, too.

I have been waiting for a Aspergers assesment since about December 08 since I have all the warning signs for it and have no friends (2 really but only spoke to 1 once in 3 months) and if I am late for a lecture I pretty much stand at the door too nervous to go in and wait till someone comes out and lecturer sees me and says its ok to come in or break time.

As for employment I am very ocd at jobs and apart from one I had at 18 where I was bullied by this boss who was bitter as she just got divorced and said men were all scum and lazy and not to be trusted and gave me a formal warning because one time when she said I was lazy as it took me ages to clean up(not my fault customers kept coming in AFTER closing time) she said women were better than men at cleaning and I replied with so its not a mans job then and got yelled at and accused of being sexist!

When I leave employment I get the bosses calling me into office and "begging" me to stay as I am a very hard worker and take so much abuse from customers and other staff.

Now I dont think I should get extra marks for my disabilies but be marked slightly less harshly on certain aspects as I am bound to have bad points I need improving but dont want to be given a bad grade because they havent taken something into account so I prefer to be marked on the quality of my work rather than marks taken off because my structure is bad because of my disabilites etc

Probably not making sense of what I really mean though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjarvis)
    Marking is to a degree subjective, but there is a substantial difference between work that gets a 2:ii and work that gets a first.

It isn't difficult to say whether grades are good or bad, though. Objectively speaking, a third is a poor mark. A first is a strong mark. Whether the marks or deserved, or would have been awarded differently had the marker been different, is a different question. But there's nothing difficult about saying that a First or an A is better than a C or 2:ii. Even if it is "just marking", employers set store by the "just marks" that universities award, and universities set store by the "just marks" students earn in A levels. Don't be naive.
    I don't recall mentioning employers in my response, so that's not relevant. I was merely making a remark about how subjective marking can be, and yes indeed one mans 2.ii can be anothers first. Its far more subjective than standardised marking such as that in A-level type examinations.

ReputationRep:
    I started in the 50s and now I'm up to a 1st so don't worry, it's all about getting used to the essaying and writing style at uni, you'll get there

plus I'm a mature student too, not sure that's relevant but you know, meh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chap54)
    I don't recall mentioning employers in my response, so that's not relevant. I was merely making a remark about how subjective marking can be, and yes indeed one mans 2.ii can be anothers first. Its far more subjective than standardised marking such as that in A-level type examinations.
    You mentioned the need to get a 2:i; this is primarily driven by what employers want. I also never said that you did mention employers. I merely state that marking does matter, and it isn't "just" marking.

There are standardised marking schemes at each university; second markers consider borderline work and work that fails; external examiners also look at the cohort to see whether marking has been administered fairly. There's a lot of standardisation within universities, although between unis there's probably substantial variation.

ReputationRep:
    You mentioned the need to get a 2:i; this is primarily driven by what employers want. I also never said that you did mention employers. I merely state that marking does matter, and it isn't "just" marking.

There are standardised marking schemes at each university; second markers consider borderline work and work that fails; external examiners also look at the cohort to see whether marking has been administered fairly. There's a lot of standardisation within universities, although between unis there's probably substantial variation.
    The reason I mention a 2.i is because its the minimum of what is considered 'good honours', this wasen't on the basis of what an employer wants.

Whilst marking schemes may be of a standard, they are applied subjectively based on what a lecturer is looking for in each of the assessments they set. And yes, there is likely to be huge swings between universities when considering marking.

ReputationRep:
    What course and what uni is this? I'm going on the basis of top unis, which tend to have 60% or more graduating with a 2:i or better. First year marks might be a bit different, but note that in some subjects (law, for example) first year marks matter a lot.

I'm stunned at how few people were managing a 2:i in first year--my first year marks were almost all 2:is (one 2:ii, one 1st).

Same here, before I came to university I thought a 1st would be very difficult to get, like 90% and up or something, I'm really shocked at how people find it difficult to get firsts/ 2:1s when I get them for papers I write the night before hocked up on caffine pills [yeah I suck at time management, oh if only I could apply myself] so far this year I've had 15 assessments so far: 5 were firsts [average mark 73], 9 were 2:1s [68] and one was a 2:2 [a 58- gutted]

ReputationRep:
    Those are good marks for first year. I really wouldnt worry about it anyway, first year marks dont count towards your classification. If you really want to get in the 60s ask your tutor to give you some tips and you'll be grand

The ego's from this thread is just oozing . . .

OP, your mark is reasonable. In my first year I started off on 50-60s and I have just worked to improve on them throughout the past 2 and a half years. Like 'irish_and_ proud' said if you wish to be hitting the 2:1 band, go to the module tutor and seek advice on how to improve.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    I don't mean to put you down but so far I have got above 80% in all my work. You shouldn't worry though because the first year does not count toward your final grade so you should take this as practice and you should use the feedback from these assignments to get higher marks later on.

Why would that put the OP down?

If the OP had an ounce of "secure" ness i.e. isn't insecure she/he wouldn't be bother about what you get.

ReputationRep:
    And those are alright marks OP! As long as you improve.

ReputationRep:
    Those are good marks. I'm in my first year and am thrilled if I get a low 60's score, but am averaging low-mid 50's. Its the first year afterall, and there is another 2/3 years to hit the higher marks if thats what you're aiming for. I'm certainly not worried with where I am.

ReputationRep:
    I just want to say that you shouldnt listen to these people that are saying you have to improve on your marks. The marks that you got are great...and they will naturally get higher, if thats what you are worried about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KadeK)
    Why would that put the OP down?

If the OP had an ounce of "secure" ness i.e. isn't insecure she/he wouldn't be bother about what you get.
    I know I am superior to other individuals but I was not wanting to portray this via that post in this instance, so I was just making certain.

ReputationRep:
    They're decent enough marks.

I am pretty impressed at the fact that you managed to get them with just sketchy notes and no in-depth research. See your tutor for advice on research techniques and information on referencing and you'll soon be flying. If you can pass with almost no resources, you clearly know how to write an essay already, so just work on having more stuff to put in it A bit more planning and you'll do fine.

As far as I know universities do not give you extra marks because of a learning difficulty or disability - but they will take it into account in as much as if they see you are attempting to make a point, they will be a little more relaxed about the conventions of essay writing and spelling/grammar. You may also be allowed extensions in extenuating circumstances and extra time in exams - and it's also worth asking about stuff like a note-taker or dictaphone for lectures if you have trouble keeping notes - a lot of this stuff can be done through your university's learning support team.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MittenKrust)
    Now I dont think I should get extra marks for my disabilies but be marked slightly less harshly on certain aspects as I am bound to have bad points I need improving but dont want to be given a bad grade because they havent taken something into account so I prefer to be marked on the quality of my work rather than marks taken off because my structure is bad because of my disabilites etc

Probably not making sense of what I really mean though.

Unfortunately, a lucid structure and writing style is paramount to conveying your point effectively. I am all for giving people with writing difficulties extra time to show that they are deserving of a good mark but for an examiner to give a better mark than the written work in front of them warrants is ridiculous. Where do we draw the line? Will there be a scaling system for those falling within a certain IQ range?

I'm ******* tired of this ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimothy)
    Unfortunately, a lucid structure and writing style is paramount to conveying your point effectively. I am all for giving people with writing difficulties extra time to show that they are deserving of a good mark but for an examiner to give a better mark than the written work in front of them warrants is ridiculous. Where do we draw the line? Will there be a scaling system for those falling within a certain IQ range?

I'm ******* tired of this ****.
    Lol I actually have a "high" IQ higher than I thought actually and am not expecting a "better" mark but not to be marked as harshly on certain things i.e I am known to write good content but bad at structure as in I start off then change to another topic/idea then go back to the first idea im NOT saying I should get marked up for awful content just like if someone had the same idea as me and writes it better, yes they should get better marks.

Besides IMO the only reason why so many people on here and no offense to them get grades as high as they do is because they have only left school in the last few years so its stilll in their system, when I went to college and uni direct from school I got A's and B's straight away but I have forgotten writing styles and learning styles plus I suffer from severe depression, really I remind myself of Marvin The Paranoid Android from the movie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    The ego's from this thread is just oozing . . .
    OP, your mark is reasonable. In my first year I started off on 50-60s and I have just worked to improve on them throughout the past 2 and a half years. Like 'irish_and_ proud' said if you wish to be hitting the 2:1 band, go to the module tutor and seek advice on how to improve.

Good Luck
    Isn't it just...

I think this is probably good advice, just keep on working to improve and you'll please yourself in due course.

(Original post by Thingeh)
    Isn't it just...

I think this is probably good advice, just keep on working to improve and you'll please yourself in due course.
    Glad someone agrees . . .

ReputationRep:
    those are good marks and as you keep doing more and more work the level you achieve should hopefully increase, as you become more knowledgable as to what the markers are looking for in a good essay/presentation/exam .

and i agree with some of the others; egos are definitely oozing!

Ruth xx

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.