Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Beautiful Nightmare)
    How much do they get paid?
    It depends where you are in your career. Anything from £21,102 to £109,658 gross per year.

ReputationRep:
    Con: stressful and high rate of nervous breakdowns.

I certainly remember being in classes where the teacher had to leave to room to cry, and ours was a good school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    It depends where you are in your career. Anything from £21,102 to £109,658 gross per year.
    Seeing as there are no fast track head teacher programs anymore, I think :confused: How long would it take the average teacher to become head teacher?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Buy him some breath mints. Then he can be "cool" like me.
    People have actually told him that his breath reeks and offered mints to him but he simply doesn't seem to get the message.

ReputationRep:
    I always wanted to be a secondary school teacher, until about 2 years ago when I decided that teachers do not get paid enough for the **** they have to deal with these days.
    Sad really. I am keeping secondary school teaching as a back up option though, as I may still like to do it.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's a rewarding career in terms of sharing knowledge, but I think the major con would be bad behaviour- if everywhere else is anything like my school, I can see how it would put people off.

Off topic, but it makes me laugh how there's also the word 'google' in your bookworm sig.

(Original post by Angelil)
    The only con I can really think of is that the behaviour can just sometimes be horrific; behaviour management is the most difficult thing about the job in my view.

Everything else counts as a pro - sensible working hours, great holidays, I get to use subjects I'm good at, some of the kids are great fun, if you're organised and meticulous then you'll thrive...etc.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by suicidaloverbusiness)
    People have actually told him that his breath reeks and offered mints to him but he simply doesn't seem to get the message.
    I recommend you spell it out to him.

"Sir, your mouth honks like a rotten kipper!"

It's for his own good.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jonjon123)
    Seeing as there are no fast track head teacher programs anymore, I think :confused: How long would it take the average teacher to become head teacher?
    Well the average teacher does not become a head teacher. At my school, there are 85 teachers and 1 head teacher. It is rare to become a secondary head until you have spent at least 10 years in the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I recommend you spell it out to him.

"Sir, your mouth honks like a rotten kipper!"

It's for his own good.
    Like I said before he has a very bad temper and snaps at the littlest things when he's in a bad mood, increasingly towards me for some reason. I wouldn't dare suggest it but others have. I like your suggestion though, it's hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLobsterQuadrille)
    I guess it's a rewarding career in terms of sharing knowledge, but I think the major con would be bad behaviour- if everywhere else is anything like my school, I can see how it would put people off.

Off topic, but it makes me laugh how there's also the word 'google' in your bookworm sig.
    lol well done. hadn't noticed that one before :p:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by suicidaloverbusiness)
    ... and snaps at the littlest things when he's in a bad mood, increasingly towards me for some reason.
    His snapping wouldn't coincide with the whole class fitting gas masks by any chance would it?

ReputationRep:
    Great holidays, good pay, get to teach what you enjoy etc.

However, you get put with right ****faces most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    con: you're a secondary school teacher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma363)
    what do you think are the pros and cons?

I'm still in school but I'm just wondering what peoples opinions are because It's something i'm interested in
    thanks
    If your thinking about becomming a teacher and you're still in school the best advice I could give you is to become a lunchtime supervisor/ prefect. If you can't handle this, in my opinion, your not teacher-material. I did lunchtime supervising in year 13 (I got paid too :p:) and I think it's a great experience i.e. test of wills lol. I feel I got a real impression about what it would be like to be a teacher after i'd done it.. they even all called me 'miss' lol.

ReputationRep:
    Pros: If you get into a non-chav school the kids are at least not a danger to your life, and I remember my high school teachers as generally awesome (ie, be one of those :P) though I was at a private school.

Cons: Kids will ***** about you, that's a given (if you're not fantastic that is) and you might get a crap job in a **** school.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Installation)
    you might get a crap job in a **** school.
    Only if you apply there. Teachers are not deployed in the UK, they choose where they work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Only if you apply there. Teachers are not deployed in the UK, they choose where they work.

when your starting out though, unless you went to a great uni, you may not be able to be so picky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    You might have to go there, to get money to er... eat and stuff :P
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Installation)
    You might have to go there, to get money to er... eat and stuff :P
    Not if you are any good at your job.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jjackson18624)
    when your starting out though, unless you went to a great uni, you may not be able to be so picky.
    It very much depends which subject you teach. Mathematics/physics teachers are as rare as hens' teeth for example.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.