Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"You won't get into as good a Uni as a 1 A* and 8 A student" Watch

ReputationRep:
    Earlier this week my form teacher (who personally I think is a bit of a git, but anyway) said to me (with 7 A* and 2 Bs, see sig for exact details) that I simply won't be able to get into as good Unis as people with 1 A* and 8 As in any subject because of my 2 Bs.

Now as far as I see it, when I'm applying for Computer Science, my Bs were in French & English Lit, and especially when I already show an almost unhealthy interest in that area of things, this is plain wrong, but I'm interested in whether anyone thinks this is actually true. I'm hoping to apply for Imperial or Cambridge next year as well as some closer to home ones like York.

ReputationRep:
    Well, they clearly have no idea what they're talking about.
    Just ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    Load of ******** - coming from someone who received offers from St A's and UCL last year with no A*s and only 3 A's at GCSE.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    What an eejit.

/

<3

ReputationRep:
    It isn't even really true for very competitive subjects like medicine, so it's ridiculous him saying that for a subject that isn't anywhere near as competitive. Plus the Bs are in subjects that aren't really related to what you want to do. Your AS level results are going to be a much more important factor than your two Bs in GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    Well, oxford gave me an offer dispite 1 A* and a load of B/Cs... If you're intelligent and can demonstrate it at interviews/in PS, then GCSEs will fade to insignificance... :p:

ReputationRep:
    He is noob. That is all.

ReputationRep:
    screw your teacher. after all what does he know anyway.

you have great chances. dont let the git put you off.

ReputationRep:
    I have a C in GCSE German and got an offer from UCL (not sure if I'm the best example :P) - that teacher doesn't know what he's talking about.

ReputationRep:
    What a tit. And yeah, absolute bull. I got 2A*s, 8As and 2Bs and I've got a place at Cambridge - usually considered a good university...

ReputationRep:
    ignore your teacher! Just make sure you select appropriate subjects for next year!

ReputationRep:
    What an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    In future you might not want to show your 2 Bs, but really since you have A*s, and if you get good A Levels you needn't worry.

I know I'd prefer to have A*s and 2 B's than 8 As and 1 A*.

ReputationRep:
    To pretty much all posters so far (way too many to quote) - thanks, quite reassuring to see that everyone agrees with me about what he's saying.

(Original post by moonlight_freakout)
    ignore your teacher! Just make sure you select appropriate subjects for next year!
    Same as this year - Further Maths, Physics, and Chemistry. Haven't actually got anything to drop, but don't need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 46Bit)
    Earlier this week my form teacher (who personally I think is a bit of a git, but anyway) said to me (with 7 A* and 2 Bs, see sig for exact details) that I simply won't be able to get into as good Unis as people with 1 A* and 8 As in any subject because of my 2 Bs.

Now as far as I see it, when I'm applying for Computer Science, my Bs were in French & English Lit, and especially when I already show an almost unhealthy interest in that area of things, this is plain wrong, but I'm interested in whether anyone thinks this is actually true. I'm hoping to apply for Imperial or Cambridge next year as well as some closer to home ones like York.
    I possess an offer from UCl.

My GCSEs: A*(Short Course RE) A*A*AA(Btec IT) AAAAABB

Think that probably proves him wrong.

ReputationRep:
    If only...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 46Bit)

Tell him to shut up tbh.

You're doing exactly the same subjects as I did last year. Feel free to pm if you need helps

What an uninformed and destructive thing to say...

ReputationRep:
    It would depend on the course. And I get out your form tutor means because to get into cambridge or oxford, they rank all their applications. Giving points for GCSE and AS level. I know people who rejected from Oxford with 9 A* and 1 A and straight A's for AS. And from Cambridge 10 A* an 5A's and 1 B for As level got rejected as well. So if you are aiming for the oxbridge it is hard, but it depends on the course mostly. To be honest you just have to ace at the interview becuase they give interviews out to 60% of the applicant according to the open day I went to.

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for computer science including some top ones such as Warwick, Southampton & Bath
    I've been invited to an open day/interview with Southampton and I image I'll get an offer, Bath I've had an offer and Warwick I'm expecting one.
    What are my gcses? 1A*, 1A and the rest B's & C's.

However my A level predictions are A*AAA, it depends more on your A levels really. Well, maybe not at Oxbridge, but certainly some that I've applied to, top 10 uni's for computer science still though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.