Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Im 5 foot 8, a size 10 normally but a size 12 in some places.

Im getting pressure from all ends to lose weight, the guy im seeing not only likes slim girls he likes skinny girls which means, slim isnt slim enough :sad:
    It makes me feel obese or something, i know yes drop him...but before i didnt have the thoughts that i needed to lose weight, but not i do :sad:

ReputationRep:
    well he clearly doesnt like skinny girls that much otherwise he wouldnt be with you (not that im calling you fat or anything but you know what i mean)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Im getting pressure from all ends to lose weight, the guy im seeing not only likes slim girls he likes skinny girls which means, slim isnt slim enough :sad:
    It makes me feel obese or something, i know yes drop him...but before i didnt have the thoughts that i needed to lose weight, but not i do :sad:
    At that height your size is perfectly average and healthy.

If you're feeling pressure/uncomfortable, talk to your boyfriend, tell him how you feel. Talk to your parents and friends. You don't want to start having negative body perceptions because they can easily spiral out of control!

If you're really concerned, look at your diet and excercise, if you can honestly say you're eating healthily/well and do enough to remain active, you have nothing to worry about.

Try not to conform to the pressure and succumb to the need to be thin. Often being dangerously thin is just as (if not more) dangerous than being obese.

There's plenty of places you can go for advice such as:
    http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealt...outweight.aspx

I hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    but curves are pengggg
    much better than shapeless sticks, in my personal opinion (unfortunately i am one of those)

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you are gorgeous and your weight it perfect! you dont want to be like a skeleton, he probably just makes out he likes skinny girls because its 'cool' alot of guys do and then when actually asked, admit this is not the case!

Considering your height that's a fine weight, IMO I think you need to put on some weight

ReputationRep:
    My mum is the same height and size as you, works out loads, and is bloody gorgeous. As, I'm guessing, are you.

You said yourself it's never been an issue before so just try to push it out of your mind and dismiss it as insecurity. A number one rule to have in life is never let anybody but you (especially a guy!) dictate how you feel about your own body. If you were happy before, then it's all good, alright?

Obviously it might be slightly different if you actually were fat, but you're not so you don't need to worry. In any case, the point about other people would still stand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tatty_)
    I'm sure you are gorgeous and your weight it perfect! you dont want to be like a skeleton, he probably just makes out he likes skinny girls because its 'cool' alot of guys do and then when actually asked, admit this is not the case!
    My eyes :nooo:

OP, you're NOT obese and the pressure to be thinner is really deceptive. Were you happy with your looks before you've met your bf? If so, you should just dump him. Losing a few pounds won't dramatically boost your confidence I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    'From all ends'?

Nobody should make you feel unnecessarily bad about yourself; not family, not partners, not even yourself. You have no need to lose weight, and it won't make you happier, more successful or more attractive.

Accept yourself as you are.

ReputationRep:
    If there is a girl who can understand, learn and accept who they are without listening to the media then come foward. I Still haven't found someone who doesn't listen to media ******** and what other pricks say. Sorry but that's how I operate. Size 8, 10, 12. Does it matter? Are you obese? No. Are you in good shape? Yes. Then what's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    Don't loose weight for the guy Just don't.

The only reason you should loose that weight is for YOU, do it for someone else and you won't even feel remotely good about yourself for it.

Do you really want to be with someone who makes you feel that crap about yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Your have the same height and clothes size as my sister, OP, and she is perfectly normal figure-wise. I know all body shapes vary, but with your specifications you can't really go wrong - you're just right. Your boyfriend sounds crappy - not because he prefers skinny (and unnaturally skinny, by the sounds of it) girls, but because he's gone into a relationship with you expecting you to change for him. And not in a way that's good for you. He can be attracted to what he wants, but don't feel you have to cater to his aesthetic preferences, OP. If he doesn't appreciate you as you are, you need to get out.

ReputationRep:
    Don't change because a guy wants you to, change because you want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ('',))
    Don't change because a guy wants you to, change because you want to.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    If there is a girl who can understand, learn and accept who they are without listening to the media then come foward. I Still haven't found someone who doesn't listen to media ******** and what other pricks say. Sorry but that's how I operate. Size 8, 10, 12. Does it matter? Are you obese? No. Are you in good shape? Yes. Then what's the problem?

*waves*

i like the way i am and dont listen to the media at all nor to what other people say, if I look in the mirror and I like what i see then im happy, if I dont like what i see then i would change it but for me, no one else

loads of people have called me fat and i havnt taken any notice and i sure as hell wouldnt take notice of a bf called me fat, if that ever happened he would have to **** right off because theres no way in hell i would change for him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

If you stay on the 10 side of things rather than 12, you really aren't carrying extra weight & are a good size (working on this chart:
    http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/help/w...ze-charts.html ).
    If you really are bothered about your figure go workout at a gym. It's hard to think you look bad when you've a good body looking back at you in the mirror :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    *waves*

i like the way i am and dont listen to the media at all nor to what other people say, if I look in the mirror and I like what i see then im happy, if I dont like what i see then i would change it but for me, no one else

loads of people have called me fat and i havnt taken any notice and i sure as hell wouldnt take notice of a bf called me fat, if that ever happened he would have to **** right off because theres no way in hell i would change for him
    hi.

Yes exactly, people should be happy with what they have and if they don't like their weight then they can change it. I just hate it when these weak minded females just keep telling themselves that they're fat when they're clearly not. They're either

1)Looking for attention
    2)Just plain weak.

It's really hard to find people who aren't like this. TSR is another medium where people (girls) at size 12, 10, 8 think they're fat and ugly when they're not.

What a weird society we live in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    *waves*

Really? Then why did you change your diet for him?
    *oops* :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    hi.

Yes exactly, people should be happy with what they have and if they don't like their weight then they can change it. I just hate it when these weak minded females just keep telling themselves that they're fat when they're clearly not. They're either

1)Looking for attention
    2)Just plain weak.

It's really hard to find people who aren't like this. TSR is another medium where people (girls) at size 12, 10, 8 think they're fat and ugly when they're not.

What a weird society we live in.
    totally agree, they are so weak minded that they let others opinions get into their brain, its sad to see, its sad (as well as annoying and frustrating) to see a pretty/thin girl go on like that

tbh though its not just girls, my sister is the same (and shes a woman of 40) she constantly thinks shes fat (shes 5ft5, about 140-147lbs, shes a size 10/12 mostly 10 in clothes) and shes in no way fat yet she thinks she is and i just want to shake her and say BE HAPPY BECAUSE YOU ARE GEORGEOUS!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Really? Then why did you change your diet for him?
    *oops* :p:
    did i change my diet to lose weight for him.....erm no

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.