Turn on thread page Beta

What is the biggest/best campus based University? watch

ReputationRep:
    Warwick definately for the Campus experience!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Nottingham or Birmingham: they even have their own train station there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raisin.)
    Oh, also, I should probably mention I'm at Sussex.

The surrounding area is lovely and green, and it really is lovely in the summer - but I'd go as far as to say it's the campus university for people who don't really like campuses. The facilities themselves aren't great because Brighton's only down the road and most people much prefer to go there to eat/drink/shop etc. So if you're looking for a really comprehensive campus in which you can choose to remain in a little university bubble (nothing wrong with that - just doesn't appeal to me personally!) then here probably wouldn't be ideal. I'd visit places and get a feel for them though - I'm not big on campus universities but I compromised to come here. Equally, I couldn't stand UEA!
    Why couldn't you stand UEA? I'm a bit curious as I might be going there next year and I haven't got a chance to actually visit the place first.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys..
    Does anyone know anything about Aston or Surrey or Kent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boudi140)
    Why couldn't you stand UEA? I'm a bit curious as I might be going there next year and I haven't got a chance to actually visit the place first.
    I just found it very.. Depressing. I went there for my sixth form's residential induction trip, so I got to stay a few days. Some of the newer accommodation was quite nice and they do have a fair amount of facilities, but the campus itself is probably the worst example of a 'concrete jungle' I've ever witnessed. Some parts of it are newer and more modern, but other parts looked like they belonged to a high security prison. Also, I found it quite remote because the surrounding area (Norwich) isn't that great. People say it's fine if you're more of a pub person than a club person - which would seemingly appeal to me - but I just really didn't like it. In my opinion, there was nothing 'special' or attractive about it - it was just dull.

Some people love it though, so it's probably best to take my opinion with a pinch of salt and visit it for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I think Warwick is a love it or hate it place. My friend visited and said it's the most horrible campus she's seen. It's all concrete buildings, I think she said, and she just felt that she'd be miserable living there for three years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delight :))
    Thanks for the replies guys..
    Does anyone know anything about Aston or Surrey or Kent
    I hated Aston when we went with sixth form. It's horrible. But lots of people like it.

ReputationRep:
    i liked swansea's campus. right by the beach

ReputationRep:
    Loughborough!

Needs to be big because the town isn't great. But close to Birmingham, Leicester and Nottingham so tis all good. But yeah, the campus is awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    I hated Aston when we went with sixth form. It's horrible. But lots of people like it.
    Ohh ok..
    Does it look modern

ReputationRep:
    birmingham or UEA... not that I'm at all biased :P

ReputationRep:
    Bath is really nice, Royal Holloway is too just for Founders Building
    Nottingham has a nice campus I just wouldnt want to go there.
    Exeter is also very nice and a nice town too.

ReputationRep:
    Notts or Sussex.

ReputationRep:
    Keele - physically one of the biggest campus' - over 600 acres. But not a massive amount of students.

ReputationRep:
    lancaster xD

ReputationRep:
    UCLA? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Rhul is very campusy, can't get to class without seeing someone you know! only thing is it an get a little insular...

ReputationRep:
    Ohh ok..
    Does it look modern
    Yeah, from what I remember, it's fairly modern. Lots of tall big buildings. It's walking distance from the shops in Birmingham, so feels very busy and crowded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    Yeah, from what I remember, it's fairly modern. Lots of tall big buildings. It's walking distance from the shops in Birmingham, so feels very busy and crowded.
    Ohh ok.. thanks for the reply
    What type of people, if you know?

ReputationRep:
    Ohh ok.. thanks for the reply
    What type of people, if you know?
    Do you mean what type of people like it?

Of the people I know who have applied, they are quite varied - most of them are going for businessy type subjects. IA lot of them are the people who aren't allowed to apply to unis far away though. It is a good uni for that sort of thing, I just found it kind of soulless - but then, I'm a sucker for old buildings. If you aren't bothered by architecture and want to be somewhere that's busy and has a lot going on, then Aston is a good choice.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.