Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi, I'm going to DMU in September and so I've obviously been researching accommodation early. From what I can tell, the best halls of residence at DMU seem to be:
    1) Victoria Halls
    2) Newarke Point
    3) Grosvenor House, although Bede doesn't look too bad either

I was just wondering if anyone who goes to DMU or went could give me info on any of those, or any any of the halls of residence at all as any available info seems either a little scarce or just out-of-date. Do any halls have a particularly good or bad reputation? Are there any that should be avoided at all cost?

Also, a bonus question: How likely is it that I'll get my first choice of accommodation? Does it matter at all on how early I apply?

Can't comment on victoria halls or newarke point, but grosvenor house is quite nice (although there do seem to be occasional problems with the heating/water). Its close to campus, close to the town centre, plenty of pubs nearby. Also en-suite. A bit expensive, but not the most expensive (I think that title goes to newarke point, but someone else may be able to confirm/correct that).

As for getting your first choice, if you apply as early as possible, then you might do. I applied a few months before getting my results and got my first choice. However, that was 3 years ago before all the accommodation shortage problems. If you apply early though, you might do.

i live in new wharf at the moment but have quite a few friends at newarke. from what i can gather they are very nice, en suite but expensive.
    I have a friend who lives in victoria who doesnt like it that much because its not a socialable place to live. a lot of internationals live there as they provide cutlery etc.
    not heard anything about grosvenor.
    only halls that i would avoid is grange court!!! although saying that a friend lives there and says its fine! just its reputation around the uni!

accomodation allocation was a joke this year with a lot of students spending their first few weeks in hotels. i cant imagine they will let that happen again but i would apply as early as you can. i got my 1st choice and i applied as soon as!

The accommodation problem DEFINITELY will not happen again, the uni have taken steps to ensure this is the case. My timings to uni are accurate, not marketing crap where "5 minutes" is actually 20!

Benefits/drawbacks of accommodation:

GROSVENOR - 2 mins to uni
    + LITERALLY 2 minutes to uni, 1 minute to town.
    - Next to a three lane road, may be quite noisy.

VICTORIA - 4 minutes to uni
    + "free" Sky TV, cutlery/crockery included. I lived here, throroughly recommended!
    - Next to an 8 lane road, though this makes very little noise - I lived on the road side. I won't say you can't hear it, but it's hardly noticable.

NEWARKE - on campus
    + excellent location!
    - can be hard to escape the uni "bubble"

All are really modern, built within the past 10 years. To be honest, with any of these you'll be happy. DMU definitely has great accommodation, and it can make a lot of difference. Some unis that I looked at had really bad accommodation. Liberty might be worth considering too.

"top" accommodation, tends to cost the most:

"Middle" accommodation:

What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.