Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a bit of a problem with student finance.

I am going to University in September, and will be staying at home. However, I have a lot of commitments such as paying off my car, car insurance, phone bills, and other bits and bobs, which the maintenance loan on its own will struggle to cover. To pay for everything and 'get by' I worked out I am going to need to work at least 20 hours a week on top of attending university and getting assignments done. To commute to the University is going to take about 45mins to an hour, so between an hour and a half to two hours each day.

Therefore I am really going to struggle to have any time to get my assignments done and earn enough money

Does anyone know if I can tell the student loan company that I am 'living away from home' to get the slightly higher loan? Would they actually check I am living away from home?

I understand it would get me into more long term debt, but at the end of the day it will get me into the career I have always wanted.

Any suggestions??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcm1988)

I am going to University in September, and will be staying at home. However, I have a lot of commitments such as paying off my car, car insurance, phone bills, and other bits and bobs, which the maintenance loan on its own will struggle to cover. To pay for everything and 'get by' I worked out I am going to need to work at least 20 hours a week on top of attending university and getting assignments done. To commute to the University is going to take about 45mins to an hour, so between an hour and a half to two hours each day.

Therefore I am really going to struggle to have any time to get my assignments done and earn enough money

Does anyone know if I can tell the student loan company that I am 'living away from home' to get the slightly higher loan? Would they actually check I am living away from home?

I understand it would get me into more long term debt, but at the end of the day it will get me into the career I have always wanted.

Any suggestions??
    thats fraud

ReputationRep:
    hmmm... I guess so. I am paying rent though, so technically it is costing me money like it would living away from home...

The only reason I'm not is because I wouldn't get enough work done away from home

ReputationRep:

Any suggestions??
    its illegal to do that...you might just have to cut out some of your luxuries like the rest of us

ReputationRep:

Any suggestions??
    do you have a particular reason why you need to stay at home? because it sounds like you'd be better off in halls as that way you'd save on costs of the car and commuting, bills would be included in the rent and you'd get a bit of extra money so you wouldnt need to work so much.

ReputationRep:
    join the real world. You can't run a car as a student without a job or a rich daddy.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you're really struggling, ask your parents about the rent/cut down your phone bill to PAYG/no luxuries etc.

I'm at uni, living away from home, and I have literally no money for ANY "luxuries" at all. It's the real world, we all struggle.

ReputationRep:
    They do checks especially if they feel that you are going to a uni close enough to your home that you could be living at home still.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    join the real world. You can't run a car as a student without a job or a rich daddy.
    thanks for the kind words....

I have a brand new car which I bought just a couple of months before I had decided to go to university. I cannot simply just get rid of it as I have only made 5 payments on it. There is a certain amount which has to be paid before they will consider taking it back.

I will also need the car to get to university.

I am not going to stay at universirty simply because first time round I did not do the work, simple as that really. I want to get through University so much now that I am not going to make the same mistakes again, and staying at home eliminates a lot of that.

Thanks anyway everyone

ReputationRep:
    So you've bought a brand new car and to try to fund it you suggest defrauding the tax payer by lying about where you live and then resent being told what a pillock you sound!

ReputationRep:
    Buying a brand new car on credit just before stating uni probably wasn't the best idea. I suspect that, even assuming it is impossible to get to uni without a car, you could have found something much cheaper. Sounds like you need to cut back everything else. If you can't get by at home on the maintenance loan then something is very wrong. You need to look at all your outgoings and seriously consider whether or not they are essential. As hypocriticaljap has said, defrauding the tax payer isn't a solution to this problem.

ReputationRep:
    1. I didn't know I was going to University when I bought the car, and the reason I did so was because I am doing reasonably well in my job and am now running a leisure centre on decent money. I have since decided to go to university and looking at my options.

2. It wouldnt be 'defrauding the taxpayer' as it is a loan... a loan is repaid...

Anyway, it was only a simple question, no need to get so worked up

ReputationRep:
    It does count as fraud, and if the SLC found out, they would demand immediate repayment of all things paid and wouldn't fund you in the future.

If you can't move out, you'll have to work or ask your parents for help. If you really can't afford either, then defer this year and save.

ReputationRep:
    2. It wouldnt be 'defrauding the taxpayer' as it is a loan... a loan is repaid...
    Erm, yes it would.

(Original post by Fraud Act 2006)
    2 Fraud by false representation
    (1) A person is in breach of this section if he—
    (a) dishonestly makes a false representation, and
    (b) intends, by making the representation—
    (i) to make a gain for himself or another, or
    (ii) to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss.
    (2) A representation is false if—
    (a) it is untrue or misleading, and
    (b) the person making it knows that it is, or might be, untrue or misleading.
    (3) “Representation” means any representation as to fact or law, including a
    representation as to the state of mind of—
    (a) the person making the representation, or
    (b) any other person.
    (4) A representation may be express or implied.
    (5) For the purposes of this section a representation may be regarded as made if it
    (or anything implying it) is submitted in any form to any system or device
    designed to receive, convey or respond to communications (with or without
    human intervention).
    It doesn't matter if it is a loan or not, you'd be making a representation you know to be false with the intention of making a gain, the increased loan, from doing so.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.