D.T B
    Citizenship B
    Maths C
    English Literature C
    History D
    Spanish E
    IT (DIMPLOMA PASS, EQUIV. GCSE:A)
    A,A,B,B,B,B,C,C,D,E & Diploma pass

Im currently syudying the following AS subjects at college: Chemistry, Biology, Maths & Business

My targets for these subjects are poor, CDDD, this in mainly based on my GCSE score which is low because of spanish & history, not majorly worried.

Iv also got the following work experience;
    6 weeks veterinary practice (3 seperate vets)
    8 weeks animal sanctuary (2 sanctuaries)
    8 weeks kennnels ( 2 sanctuaries) & i plan to do more over the next couple of years.

Course details for the particular course im wanting to do can be found here;
    http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Undergraduate/V...quirements.cfm

They require me to get a B in GCSE maths (I've resat and get my results in March) If i get a B - then GCSE wise i meet their entry requirements.

They also require me to get CCC at a level (or at least be targeted CCC) in Chemistry, Biology and any other subject (Business - i find Maths too hard)

I'd appreciate people views on my chances of securing a place on the course, my chances of getting CCC at a level based and combined with my GCSE results along with any tips for success. Im really determined but at times feel like failure :/

Do you think these are minimum requirements? Do universities ever take on students that get slightly less than the academic requirements? (I'll try to stun at interview and when writing my personal statement )

Id appreciate it if you could have a look at the link and let me know,
    Cheers fellow TSRers

ReputationRep:
    I applied for rvc gateway both last year and this year. I got an offer and gained BCD as A level, D being in chem. Because so many people apply, I couldnt have a place so Im redoing chem. It varies year to year, 2 years previously a girl had BCD and got a place. It just depends. You shouldnt feel like a failure though, just because you have lower grades really doesnt make you a failure. Id also try to get some good work experience, they dont require it but it makes you look more determined I think.

ReputationRep:
    Lincoln/Nottingham also do a similar course by the way. Its the lincoln health certificate. Have you done anything like DoE? And Bristol do a similar course too but you cant have done science at A level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostwithoutyou)
    Lincoln/Nottingham also do a similar course by the way. Its the lincoln health certificate. Have you done anything like DoE? And Bristol do a similar course too but you cant have done science at A level.
    Cheers - whats the lincoln health certificate?
    Yeah - Iv done bronze & silver D of E and got my certificate for both
    Is veterinary science the same as vet med? I noticed you had a couple of offers
    Il look into the Lincoln Nottingham courses - are they vet med?
    Its biology im worried about :/ I believe you can resit for the gateway though, they dont mind.
    Im determined to get a place but it doesnt seem likely :/
    Let me know how it goes, look forward to a reply.
    What GCSEs did you get?
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/fabs/_cours...ce/default.asp Thats a link to the health certificate, I think its just like the rvc gateway, there is someone on tsr thats currently at lincoln doing this. I think they offer a lot less places though. Iv got offers for animal science/animal behaviour science, if I dont get an offer from rvc Im gona do one of these instead and try for vet med as a graduate although it is a lot harder to get a place this way and fees are sky high! Yea you can resit, Ive resat chem too many times to count! Im doing a new syllabus this year though which im doing well on, whereas last year I was getting U/E in my exams. I got 2A* 7A and a B.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by peblo123)
    Its biology im worried about :/ I believe you can resit for the gateway though, they dont mind.
    What GCSEs did you get?
    Cheers
    Veterinary science is essentially the same course as veterinary medicine, not sure if the terms mean anything different though. I've applied for lincoln, they only have 10 places I believe though, and if you complete it and get 60%+ you get onto the main nottingham vet course for 5 year. You need CCC to get in, and extenuating circumstances; like receive EMA, be the first entrant in your immediate family to enter higher education.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    just be warned....nottingham are really strict on the health sci... most people dont get an interveiw as they only accept 5 people onto the course... so for the interveiws they only have about 30 people so that they can easily get it down to 10 offers!! RVC are very good......normally people that send in an application get an interveiw!!!

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham/Lincoln are no longer doing the Health certificate after this year...they infomed me off this today! Instead nottingham are just doing a 6year course where you stay there for the whole 6 years, they are currently discussing the entry requirements etc!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peblo123)
    What GCSEs did you get?
    Cheers
    as i have just mensioned below...didnt read this...no point reading into the Lincoln nottingham course...after this year they arnt doing it again, instead nottingham maybe...its not deffo yet, be doing a 6yr course with lowered grades so keep your eyes out for this!!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    Ouch really? I'm the last intake?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to sound a bit thick but is there 3 gateway courses for the vet course? lincoln, nott & RVC? Or is lincoln the gateway course for the nott 5yr vet course? im confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeridotEyes93)
    Sorry to sound a bit thick but is there 3 gateway courses for the vet course? lincoln, nott & RVC? Or is lincoln the gateway course for the nott 5yr vet course? im confused.
    RVC do a gateway course http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Undergraduate/VetGateway/Index.cfm If you past the first year you get a guarenteed place on their 5 year vet course or you can have an interview at Bristol Liverpool or Glasgow. You have to meet a few criteria like be first person in your family to go to uni, be getting ema etc. CCC is needed.

Lincoln did a gateway to Nottingham but I'm pretty sure its finished now, I'm not sure if theyve replaced it. I know they have a few criteria to meet too. There will be people on here who can help you with that more than I can. Found it - Theyve upped the grades you need from CCC to BBC http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/...se&code=021635

Bristol also do a kind of gateway course, I think you cant have done any science A levels though. You still need AAB though. http://www.bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/...ntro#progstruc

I think I saw someone say Liverpool have just started a similar programme but I'm not positive.

ReputationRep:
    RVC do a gateway course http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Undergraduate/VetGateway/Index.cfm If you past the first year you get a guarenteed place on their 5 year vet course or you can have an interview at Bristol Liverpool or Glasgow. You have to meet a few criteria like be first person in your family to go to uni, be getting ema etc. CCC is needed.

Lincoln did a gateway to Nottingham but I'm pretty sure its finished now, I'm not sure if theyve replaced it. I know they have a few criteria to meet too. There will be people on here who can help you with that more than I can. Found it - Theyve upped the grades you need from CCC to BBC http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/...se&code=021635

Bristol also do a kind of gateway course, I think you cant have done any science A levels though. You still need AAB though. http://www.bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/...ntro#progstruc

I think I saw someone say Liverpool have just started a similar programme but I'm not positive.
    Thanks! And thankfully i meet the criteria for RVC!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.