Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For the last 10 years (i think) the top 4 unis in this country have Been Ox, Cam, Imp and LSE.

Can anyone see any of the other universities breaking into this top 4 and causing some disruption? The Sunday Times suggests York.....I understand their reasoning, it's just got 4 new professors, a 25 million pound science complex, and new medical students, it's looking up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    For the last 10 years (i think) the top 4 unis in this country have Been Ox, Cam, Imp and LSE.

Can anyone see any of the other universities breaking into this top 4 and causing some disruption? The Sunday Times suggests York.....I understand their reasoning, it's just got 4 new professors, a 25 million pound science complex, and new medical students, it's looking up
    UCL?

ReputationRep:
    Top 5 for what?

Research? (and in what subject?)
    Teaching? (and in what subject?)
    Campus/Accomodation?
    Nightlife?
    Loose women?
    Fit women?

It's all subjective.

ReputationRep:
    Alround! Judging by the criteria used in most university guides.

ReputationRep:
    Well I would go as far as to say there is not one uni that is excellent in every area. For instance, Cambridge might be great academically, but it has no nightlife (I should know, I live 10 miles away!)... Also, Cambridge et al aren't necessarily "the best" in each and every subject. In maths for example, Bath is supposedly the best in the country...

ReputationRep:
    depends which subject though eg natural sciences at durham is a very good degree

IMHO the "big ones" are Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE and Edinburgh!!! Of course this is entirely dependent on which course you look at but in my own opinion they are the best!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    IMHO the "big ones" are Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE and Edinburgh!!! Of course this is entirely dependent on which course you look at but in my own opinion they are the best!!!
    nah, best would indicate exeter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)

harvard all the way ( i kno i kno its only supposed to be england)

(Original post by Ollie)
    nah, best would indicate exeter
    I thought it wrong to compare Exeter and Cambridge when its clear that Cambridge wouldn't stand a chance!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    harvard all the way ( i kno i kno its only supposed to be england)
    if you have the money to pay for the 15000 a year fees or whatever it is!

(Original post by leekey)
    I thought it wrong to compare Exeter and Cambridge when its clear that Cambridge wouldn't stand a chance!!!
    well obviously!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    if you have the money to pay for the 15000 a year fees or whatever it is!

well obviously!
    its 45000 a yr....but 95% of the students get financail aid.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    its 45000 a yr....but 95% of the students get financail aid.....
    45000 a year, so how many of your average americans go to harvard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    45000 a year, so how many of your average americans go to harvard?
    only 2000 graduate from harvard a year.....its VERy prestigous.....and then theres stanford which is the harvard of the west.....which costs the same but is a BIT younger....

out of everyone who meets the requirements only 1 out of every 42 are excepted! both schools turn away on average 4000 valid victorians a year!

ReputationRep:
    Bill Gates (Microsoft) and Steve Jobs (Apple) both went to Harvard. Its must be bad turning out graduates like them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Bill Gates (Microsoft) and Steve Jobs (Apple) both went to Harvard. Its must be bad turning out graduates like them
    im sure the whole of the hp thread (10 squillion members) are backing exeter - jk rowling went!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Gates dropped out (after he made his first million I think) though didn't he?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    im sure the whole of the hp thread (10 squillion members) are backing exeter - jk rowling went!
    Why did she go there, when UEA is the best in the country for creative writing? I guess she's just not that good of an author..

ReputationRep:
    Manchester had the Chemical Brothers and AJP Taylor a Historian with balls.

Manchester Univeristy; this world isn't good enough for you.

ReputationRep:
    a) Cambridge
    b) Oxford
    c) London School Of Economics - Imperial College
    d) UCL - Warwick - Nottingham - Bristol
    e) York - Bath - St Andrews

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.