Turn on thread page Beta

Top 5 unis watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Gates dropped out (after he made his first million I think) though didn't he?
    Yeah, he's still officially "on leave" - although I don't think they expect him to come back!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    a) Cambridge
    b) Oxford
    c) London School Of Economics - Imperial College
    d) UCL - Warwick - Nottingham - Bristol
    e) York - Bath - St Andrews

One of the few ratings that I (vaguely) agree on, although I personally wouldn't seperate Oxf/Cambridge, perhaps both joint as number 1. Also, again as someone pointed out it depends on whether the emphasis is on teaching or research. For many doctoral programmes, (i.e. the research element) LSE for instance is clearly better and more prestigious than Oxbridge. Overall I'd rank Oxbridge 1 as they actually teach their students (unlike the LSE), and also have a very good research profile (although in Economics and International Relations clearly not as good as LSE). UCL is probably a little overrated, I don't think its as good as Warwick/Notts/Bristol, as all 3 have higher A level performance on average. Question here being, if UCL's as good, then why does it attract lower grade students on average?

ReputationRep:
    I think York is underrated by a lot of people. It's higher than Notts, Bristol and Warwick in the league tables but never seems to be perceived as one of the very best universities in the country.

(Original post by Seer)
    I think York is underrated by a lot of people. It's higher than Notts, Bristol and Warwick in the league tables but never seems to be perceived as one of the very best universities in the country.
    probably because its a bit..well..dull to be honest

i choose manchester as my insurance over york, bath (*shudder*) and exeter, despite the fact its a lovely campus, simply because there's not a hell of a lot to do there

hence despite the fact teaching is arguably better at york i imagine people avoid it for reasons such as mine, there's not much the uni can do about that though..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)

League tables are highly subjective, the arument x is better than y as it does better on a league table is just plain daft, cmon....6th formers can do better than that I hope! Best to look at the criteria used in the tables and prioritise according to your needs.

ReputationRep:
    I think Loughborough could make a big jump from 12th to somewhere in the Top 8 within the next few years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Agreed League tables (especially the Times') double count many criteria.

For example...a good research score generally makes it easy to recruit high quality students - resulting in a good A level entry average score, good A level entry standards are closely related (an r^2 of over 0.8 when looking at entire cohorts) to a high proportions of 1sts and 2iis, which leads to a high employment rating...and of course "clever" students are less likely to drop out so a higher efficiency score. Strangely the teaching scores are the most uncorrelated facor.

Plus the weightings are completely arbitrary, Cambridge beat oXford in ever catagory for the last 2 yrs...apart from the spend per student (ie Cambridge had a higher research, teaching, A levels, 1sts and 2ii, employment and efficiency score)..both yrs Oxford came top of the tables.

Most people who study league tables consider there to be an error margin of +/- 5 places.

Agree, although I don't consider it to be an error margin as such, just it's reflective of the highly subjective nature. Personally, I always go on a/v A level score, I think it's the most reliable figure, if a university is all that fantastic, it shouldn't have any difficulty in attracting the best students. And for the next poster, that's one reason I would not put Loughborough anywhere near 8th.

ReputationRep:
    what's a 'valid victorian ??????????????????????????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    One of the few ratings that I (vaguely) agree on, although I personally wouldn't seperate Oxf/Cambridge, perhaps both joint as number 1. Also, again as someone pointed out it depends on whether the emphasis is on teaching or research. For many doctoral programmes, (i.e. the research element) LSE for instance is clearly better and more prestigious than Oxbridge. Overall I'd rank Oxbridge 1 as they actually teach their students (unlike the LSE), and also have a very good research profile (although in Economics and International Relations clearly not as good as LSE). UCL is probably a little overrated, I don't think its as good as Warwick/Notts/Bristol, as all 3 have higher A level performance on average. Question here being, if UCL's as good, then why does it attract lower grade students on average?
    Indeed u know what u r talking about, LSE graduate!
    ...LSE and imperial have specialized on Social Sci and Sci ...wheras UCL hasnt and that lets it down....e.g. they have a good maths and economics department and if u wanna studying Maths or Eco there u gotto have AAA-AAB...but if u wanna do engineering there u can get away with BBB...and subjects like that bring down their avrage...
    It had to think about b4 putting Oxford below Cambridge but I think....u gotto give cambridge some credit...i know oxford is v.good but in both taching and research but cambridge is slightly better and deserves to get the gold medal for it :/

ReputationRep:
    J.S. u ve studied in LSE ...would u rate their Economics department No1 in uk? not sure if they can beat cambridge at teaching but maybe at research they r better...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    J.S. u ve studied in LSE ...would u rate their Economics department No1 in uk? not sure if they can beat cambridge at teaching but maybe at research they r better...
    Welll....as an undergrad. I'd go for Cambridge Econ., as LSE doesn't have any particularly special emphasis on teaching arrangements. The teaching/degree at LSE is pretty much the same as other highly regarded institutions, i.e. Warwick/UCL/Notts, i.e. lecture/seminar and then you're on your own!

As for the research faculty, LSE Econ is certainly better than Cambridge (esp. as Amaryta Sen is leaving Camb. soon!), it's more prestigious in academic circles, although of course both are excellent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Welll....as an undergrad. I'd go for Cambridge Econ., as LSE doesn't have any particularly special emphasis on teaching arrangements. The teaching/degree at LSE is pretty much the same as other highly regarded institutions, i.e. Warwick/UCL/Notts, i.e. lecture/seminar and then you're on your own!

As for the research faculty, LSE Econ is certainly better than Cambridge (esp. as Amaryta Sen is leaving Camb. soon!), it's more prestigious in academic circles, although of course both are excellent.
    oh yes he was the Master of trinty college ...now leaving for Harvard..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    what's a 'valid victorian ??????????????????????????
    I think that person meant vale dictorian (no idea how to spell). It's the person who's on the top of the class grade-wise

ReputationRep:
    3 yrs ago Bath jumped in the Times' League table from around the 10th mark to 4th - it's stayed in the top 5 for the last 3 yrs and is likely to stay there for a good while longer.

On paper it's a better all-round Uni than Nottingham, Durham, UCL etc etc - but when it comes to employability a Notts Degree will look a bit better on your CV than a Bath one - they've sorted out their quality but the general public don't seem to have spotted it yet.
    Too much emphasis is placed on prestige these days. I notice it quite a lot on these forums.

ReputationRep:
    1) Oxford (still has more worldwide recognition than Cambridge methinks and I have visited it and it's a lovely place)
    2) Cambridge
    3) LSE
    4) Imperial
    5) UCL

ReputationRep:
    digressing from the debate a little...

...reading about why average alevel score is the best measure as a league table, and noting that many criticise a uni for it, why is Durham's average alevel score so low (just under abb)? Is this anything to do with the new Stockton campus do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)
    digressing from the debate a little...

...reading about why average alevel score is the best measure as a league table, and noting that many criticise a uni for it, why is Durham's average alevel score so low (just under abb)? Is this anything to do with the new Stockton campus do you think?
    Durham made me an offer last year of BBC, when in the prospectus it is much higher than this. I know 1 other person, and there's also 1 person on this board, that were offered AAB for the same course. Both of these people actually scored better than me at AS level aswell, I scored ABB and they both scored AAB/AAA I think.

The only reason I can find for this is that they wanted me to accept their offer more eagerly than they did the other two people (this is the reason I like to think anyway ). Maybe Durham, or certain colleges at Durham, have a policy (or maybe just on certain occasions) of giving lower offers to the students they would prefer to accept.

Im really just stabbing in the dark, but I could be looking in the right direction.. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    No Durham's average has been constant at about the same level for yrs - long before they encorporated Stockton. It's low because it just doesn't attract the real high flyers (or rather it doesn't attract enough of them outside of certain subjects like law, english and history). I was offered a place at Durham of CCC (back in 1997) in some subjects there just aren't the market of good students and the few that are around get snapped up by Oxbridge.
    That's propably a much better explanation than mine

ReputationRep:
    i want to go to durham but if its going to be full of people with mediocre alevels maybe i wont get the intellectual stimulation i want? :confused:

does anyone think that the students at castle college will be likely to have better alevels than average due to the high app:acceptance ratio (14:1) (as thats where id be going)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    i want to go to durham but if its going to be full of people with mediocre alevels maybe i wont get the intellectual stimulation i want? :confused:

does anyone think that the students at castle college will be likely to have better alevels than average due to the high app:acceptance ratio (14:1) (as thats where id be going)?
    lol, stimulation.

Sorry.

IC would look more impressive.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.