Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I recently got my Tort assessment back. On the cover sheet, it has a 60% crossed off with 55% written on it. There are 4 places in my assessment where it says this is a quote. Two of these four quotes are from statutes. e.g section 1(A) of the Fatal Accidents Act 1976 which says a claim for damages for bereavement shall only be for the benefit for....

I forgot to add speech marks after says. I dont understand where they think I got the other two quotes from as I wrote them in my own words. I am very upset and angry with this. loosing 5 marks seems very harsh for just a few missing speech marks. I am going to ask to see the turnitin report.

The heard of Tort has told me she can investigate it but I will probably be found guilty and given zero or the work will be returned to her and she will be asked to mark it down with the warning on my record.

I would like to know what others think or know about this subject matter? All advice is welcome.

ReputationRep:
    Forgot? You did it. Now you pay the price. Lucky they are being lenient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voldo2009)
    I recently got my Tort assessment back. On the cover sheet, it has a 60% crossed off with 55% written on it. There are 4 places in my assessment where it says this is a quote. Two of these four quotes are from statutes. e.g section 1(A) of the Fatal Accidents Act 1976 which says a claim for damages for bereavement shall only be for the benefit for....

I forgot to add speech marks after says. I dont understand where they think I got the other two quotes from as I wrote them in my own words. I am very upset and angry with this. loosing 5 marks seems very harsh for just a few missing speech marks. I am going to ask to see the turnitin report.

The heard of Tort has told me she can investigate it but I will probably be found guilty and given zero or the work will be returned to her and she will be asked to mark it down with the warning on my record.

I would like to know what others think or know about this subject matter? All advice is welcome.
    Art is either plagiarism or revolution. oh **** i forgot speech marks and didnt reference the source

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I did reference the source, its there: section 1(A) of the Fatal Accidents Act 1976 which says...

ReputationRep:
    I think they have issue because you have used the phrase 'which says....'

This indicates that verbatim text (the quote) will follow instead of summarising which is where you do not have to use quotes, just the mention of the author/reference, and put the text in your own words/use some of their text (about 50% is acceptable).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stretcho)
    I think they have issue because you have used the phrase 'which says....'

This indicates that verbatim text (the quote) will follow instead of summarising which is where you do not have to use quotes, just the mention of the author/reference, and put the text in your own words/use some of their text (about 50% is acceptable).
    Exactly, I was meant to add speech marks and forgot. I was meeting a tight dealine. My other 3 assesments have been fine so I think it is harsh in this assesment to take of 5 marks.

My uni is crap and full of double standards. I have seen other peoples assessments who have done same thing as me and got away with it. Obviously I am not going to grass them up. In other forms of assessments, the uni has double standards which makes me angry.

ReputationRep:
    I guess forgetting is not a reason here. It just depends if you have a good teacher or not. I feel my tutor is not all that because all of our class got low marks even though there are really clever people in there.

In one essay I just didn't bother and my references were rubbish, that means I'll be marked down and I knew that.

Just take it as a lesson for next time, leave plenty of time in advance to check through that later. Speech marks are important. I think I'm at the same university as you and I have to help you my tutor is not good at all...

ReputationRep:
    Hi

That does seem tough given you have made clear you are summarizing and certainly for a statute you shouldn't need speech marks. Do you use the footnote system, I go crazy referencing, even if you summarize in your own words also footnote at the end of the sentance or paragraph, then in the footnote state who the author was, what publication and what page you got it from. That way you are always covered.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.