Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The 2010, Honorary Member Welcoming, Undergraduate Degree Results Chat Thread Mk. V Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m:)ckel)
    How many optional courses can you take in the second year?

Remember, you get a free choice in the final year so you can steer well clear of Analysis.
    Think it's 1 or 2, probably one.

What worries me most is that I know I've screwed up this year. I have approximately 2 good friends from halls and none really on my course. I did badly last term and I've started this term badly too.

I'd carry on the course if I thought I'd get a 2:1, but it's extremely unlikely as far as I can tell. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennikay)
    Degree maths is nothing like A level maths. It's a load of 'prove this RIGOROUSLY cause I said so lolololol even though it's obvious' :facepalm:

I don't enjoy it, neither am I good at it.

I'm thinking most likely CS (well, computing, at Imperial). The modules I've liked best over the past 6 months have been computing and stats and mechanics tbh, and maybe geometry/algebra. Methods and analysis are just a big no for me.

I have no idea if they'll let me do it. I tried searching the imperial forum but it looks like I might have to get a 2:1 :erm: which just isn't going to happen.
    I see. Yeah, that's one of the reasons I didn't apply for it tbh. And I suppose it's better to have something more applied, because the skills will be more necessary and transferable to your intended career. Computing sounds like the best route for you then...it seems really enjoyable, from what I've heard, and there are some good job prospects. The A Level requirements are A*AA at A level this year, I think, but I suppose you'd need to show good consistent work throughout this year. Is there no way you could get a 2:1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    I see. Yeah, that's one of the reasons I didn't apply for it tbh. And I suppose it's better to have something more applied, because the skills will be more necessary and transferable to your intended career. Computing sounds like the best route for you then...it seems really enjoyable, from what I've heard, and there are some good job prospects. The A Level requirements are A*AA at A level this year, I think, but I suppose you'd need to show good consistent work throughout this year. Is there no way you could get a 2:1?
    I probably *could* do it but I'd have a ******* miserable rest of the year. But then if I don't I may well have a miserable two years, so who knows. :erm:

I do technically have an A* in maths (i.e. >90 UMS in my A2 modules, and 90% overall) and I do still have my all As in modules.

I think I need to talk to my dad, and my personal tutor. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, got a bit carried away.

Spoiler:
    Show
    That's a pity. I got lucky because I had 4 choices, but I think they changed things up for the year after mine.

It doesn't sound like you're having a good time doing maths. I can't imagine how I would've felt if I had no friends on the course, but I would say that that can change, even as your progress through the year. Loads of my good friends graduated after 3 years, so I was a bit worried going into my fourth year, but I still managed to form a really good friendship with someone in the year below who I'd literally never spoken to, or barely seen before then. So I wouldn't give up on that front.

As far as the course goes, I would warn you that the general consensus was the second year is more difficult. I don't know if that's down to the actual difficulty of subjects, the quality of teaching (which I'm sure you've seen can vary significantly), relaxing too much after the first year, or whatever. Maybe things are different after the change of syllabus. But that's what we all thought at that time. Most peoples' marks (including mine) went down. But I managed to pull through eventually.

Now, of course, I'm biased. I went through with it and I got my 2:1. In all fairness, I was never very far off the borderline so I always felt that with some extra effort, I could make it. But it was a little close for comfort - a friend of mine who got marginally lower marks in each of the first two years was not allowed to stay on the MSci course and had to change to a BSc. I must have been very close to the cut-off point, basically. But if you're saying it's extremely unlikely, then maybe you're a bit further off. Remember you need to take the weighting for each year into account - is it still 1[s]4[/s]4? If you can push for a mid-2:2, then don't rule yourself out.
    However, there is another difference between us from what I can see: I never had any interest in studying anything else. Partly out of an enjoyment for maths, but also because I really wouldn't like to do Computing, Engineering etc. If you have an interest for other things, then that's certainly something to factor in.
    [Btw, I know a lot of people who did 2 years of maths, then switched to "Maths and Management" and spent the final year dossing in Tanaka. Ok, I don't know if they were dossing... Anyway, that's if you're interested in the Finance route]

ReputationRep:
    Btw, if you are looking into Computing at IC, then please try to talk to someone on the course about it, if possible. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that it will be very different to doing things like Maple and Matlab. They work them hard over there.

ReputationRep:
    I probably *could* do it but I'd have a ******* miserable rest of the year. But then if I don't I may well have a miserable two years, so who knows. :erm:

I do technically have an A* in maths (i.e. >90 UMS in my A2 modules, and 90% overall) and I do still have my all As in modules.

I think I need to talk to my dad, and my personal tutor. :erm:
    I see. Yeah, your personal tutor would probably help a lot, and he'd understand if you really didn't want to carry on with maths. Hope it all works out for you

ReputationRep:
    Mmmm. Scary stuff. :erm:

I'll speak to my dad and see what he thinks.

Did you say you'd apply for engineering or computer science? Those seem like the best choices tbh, as I think the maths in that is more similar to that in A Level FM.
    Would Imperial allow you to do that?
    Yo for real. Maths modules straight up.

But Fluids is jacked up.

Thermodynamics is like Physics

Me too! :ahee: But I'd get shot down if I told anyone I had an A* :mmm:

What worries me most is that I know I've screwed up this year. I have approximately 2 good friends from halls and none really on my course. I did badly last term and I've started this term badly too.
    :afraid:

:sogood: Herbaliser

P.S. Hi. I woke up really late so I can't even really do any reading which I planned to do. :shifty:

Aw man everyone's gone into stasis. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I'm here. Kinda hungry but I don't want to get food cause I cba. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    Yo for real. Maths modules straight up.

But Fluids is jacked up.

Thermodynamics is like Physics
    :yep: niiice. Are fluid good doe?
    Also, if thermo is similar to thermal-physics (I guess the name suggests so) and gas laws, I might just die

Me too! :ahee: But I'd get shot down if I told anyone I had an A*:mmm:

:afraid:
    I only need 83/100 in C4 for an A* in maths :jiggy: And it was an easy paper :yep:

I have a fat sandwich, compiled of everything I could find in the fridge.

EDIT: Finished now :sad:

:yep: niiice. Are fluid good doe?
    Also, if thermo is similar to thermal-physics (I guess the name suggests so) and gas laws, I might just die
    Fluids, I've just started, but I've missed a few lectures. When you first look at it, it makes sense, then you look harder and it makes you recoil. :lolwut:

Gas laws are a small part of thermodynamics yes, but you need them in every section.

This is my working for an open book practice paper I did a few weeks ago. I got 51/60 :ahee:

Ooh 1333, nice RAM clock speed. :yep:

****. I was hopin' to do some work.

But no. Now I have to go to a ******* computer lab at 2, but I'm not ready.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    Fluids, I've just started, but I've missed a few lectures. When you first look at it, it makes sense, then you look harder and it makes you recoil. :lolwut:

Gas laws are a small part of thermodynamics yes, but you need them in every section.

This is my working for an open book practice paper I did a few weeks ago. I got 51/60 :ahee:
    :lolwut: That looks scarily complex. But the maths looks delightfully confusing. :nooo:
    I like your writing, too :love:
    Is it all interesting? Because I remember you telling us how much you hated thermodynamics one time.
    And well done on 51/60 :ahee:

It's cool :ahee:

Thanks :flutter: It gets a bit when I'm writing fast though.

Yeah it's very interesting, and I did hate it at one point (the new enemy is fluids :ninja:) but once you understand it it's cool

Thanks again

Leet post!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1&postcount=17

:mmm:

(Original post by m:)ckel)
    Oh yeah, you know your sig hasn't worked in months? Possibly years? The size bit is messed up.

:coma:

ReputationRep:
    Um...I'll sort it out later :hmmm:

I need to go, I'm late for maths again :facepalm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.