Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Is a 1st anything above 70%?

I am a mature student and I started at University this year.

I received my first exam grade and my assignment grade on Friday, scoring 96% and 73% respectively.

Very happy with myself, and just felt like I had to share!

Will the 73% go down as a 1st?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Once you have completed your 3 year degree, if your overall grade is 70% or higher then yes, you have acheived a first.

Congrats on your assignment.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I was under the impression that some unis capped results... so would give the top X percent a first, then the next y amount a 2i and so on. Could well be wrong.

<3

ReputationRep:
    70% and above is a first! Congrats on your excellent results!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, part of me was thinking it was 75% and above.

I still would have been happy if that was the case, but I am really pleased with myself. I have one more exam result to come, so I will keep you posted on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    I was under the impression that some unis capped results... so would give the top X percent a first, then the next y amount a 2i and so on. Could well be wrong.

<3
    No they don't

Not officially anyway, but they might mark on a curve (so if your borderline and many people got a first you might get 69)

The way degree marks are calculated are easy to find on uni websites/departmental booklets etc...

ReputationRep:
    Generally, yes. Marks are still open to moderation and adjustment until a while after they're published. But yeah, it's a 1st
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by crackingod)
    No they don't

Not officially anyway, but they might mark on a curve (so if your borderline and many people got a first you might get 69)

The way degree marks are calculated are easy to find on uni websites/departmental booklets etc...
    Oh ok then, thank you =]

I will have a search around tomorrow when I'm not as tired

<3

ReputationRep:
    :yikes: 96% on an exam!?

Bloody hell, that's amazing!

Well done on both your marks and I wish you well for your pending exam mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBez)
    Thanks guys, part of me was thinking it was 75% and above.

I still would have been happy if that was the case, but I am really pleased with myself. I have one more exam result to come, so I will keep you posted on that.
    Don't forget that many (if not most) courses don't count first year results for degree classification purposes, and even if they do count it will only be for perhaps 10% of the degree. It also gets a lot harder after the first year.

ReputationRep:
    Not always. Often, for example, you have to get firsts in certain core modules as well, to achieve a first overall.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.