Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Was in my friend's room the other day, and before I came in I believe some of them had been smoking weed because the room stank of it. Anyway, I knew that some of them did it, and didn't mind (even though I don't do drugs). About 10 minutes after I entered the room, security knocked complaining that there were strong smells of cannabis coming from the room. She then came into the room, looked around and confiscated a bag of weed and styrofoam cup with discarded joints in.

I had to attend a meeting at my halls, along with all the other people who were in the room at the time (interviewed separately) and I defended myself by explaining that I had only just come into the room, and that there was no actual drug use going on whilst I was there - which is true (although I was forced to admit I knew there were drugs in the room due to the blatent smell and obvious position of the weed on the table). Following my interview with the residence manager, my case has now been sent to the main university where I have a hearing for reasons of drug misuse. I feel very frustrated in this situation as I cannot prove that I wasn't involved in using drugs within the room, and I fear severe consequences such as expulsion. They clearly didn't believe what I said otherwise they wouldn't have taken it to the main university.

Also it says that anything involving breaches of the law will be referred to the "academic registrar" (whoever that is, I don't like the sound of it), and my head of department will also be notified.I feel that it is extremely unfair that I should be accused of drug use when I definitely wasn't using drugs. I also am very worried about what the university can do to me. Please help! I literally was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

ReputationRep:
    It's wrong isn't it, they don't mind when people get horribly drunk but it's always a big deal whe you smoke. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    just smoke the chronic and relax

ReputationRep:
    Quick, ask for a drug test.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god I feel for you; they've gone that crazy over weed? :eek:

At my university, they turn a blind eye to it. I've heard of/witnessed many cases of residential advisers and security saying 'if we don't see it, we'll assume it doesn't happen. if you're going to do these things, just make sure you're safe'. I guess that speaks volumes about where I am, though.

I don't know what to suggest because it's your word against theirs. Haven't the other people in the room owned up themselves and said that you had nothing to do with it? Other than that, I don't think there's much you can do. I can't see them really doing much though - is it not more just a warning/threat to put you all off doing it again?

ReputationRep:
    apparently cannabis stays in your system for 3 weeks, get a drug test done and get it signed and dated. you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Explain this to them.

No point telling random people on the internet.

Chance of them believing you is small but it's worth a go.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Drugs test would be the obvious solution.

Unless you have something to hide. :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    I did explain this to them in the last meeting and yes my friends have all said that I wasn't involved. However they claim not to be involved either. My friend leaves his room unlocked and people can come in and out, so it could have been anyone who smoked in the room, and anyone's weed. This is at least what was claimed.

Drugs test I don't really want to do...

ReputationRep:
    ask for a drug test and prove them wrong, they cant prosecute you if they decline to give you one.

ReputationRep:
    if they can't prove that you were doing drugs then they can't kick you out of uni

ReputationRep:
    they don't need to prove anything. The burden of proof is nothing like as rigorous as a court.

ReputationRep:
    The warden of the halls i used to live in actually said uni is for experimenting and we should take or do what we like, just not to be stupid as he has to sort it out then.
    The guy who lives underneath my boyfriend is always smoking weed. So in theory, because we smell it we should "tell on him" if your university has it right. Sounds like utter ******** to me frankly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.