Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I thinking of retaking my gcse in the summer because they weren't that great, for me to get into the uni's . I thinking of retaking English lit and lang and science but here's were the problem comes in I realized that It might affect my A level's which I don't think I did particularly well in for Jan , so I am probably going to retake them leaving me with 13 exams in the summer . Is it wise to retake my gcse to meet the requirement or should I focus entirely on Alevels. Thanks TheMiestero

ReputationRep:
    imo, focus on your a-levels. they're much more crucial to getting into a uni.

ReputationRep:
    This probably depends on the type of course you are interested in. For some courses, especially in the Mathematical and Scientific sphere, a certain GCSE grade is usually required. This will vary between universities. A GCSE at grade C or above in English and Maths is usually essential for nearly every programme of study.

ReputationRep:
    It also depends how much work you are willing to put in to the exams this summer. A levels are largely more important, however if you are able to bring your GCSE grades up and still do well in your A levels, then why not?

If you think that the English GCSEs will affect your getting into university (i.e. a competetive course, or an essay-based course) then I advise you retake. Otherwise, just focus on A levels.

ReputationRep:
    If you are taking a subject in which you want to do the re-take, then you will probably improve your performance without doing much extra work because you will be developing skills in the subject all the time. When I was in the Sixth Form, one of my friends took eleven exams in the same session and obtained his highest marks in them, so it is certainly doable.

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.