The Student Room Group

I need help with my gcse decision

I thinking of retaking my gcse in the summer because they weren't that great, for me to get into the uni's . I thinking of retaking English lit and lang and science but here's were the problem comes in I realized that It might affect my A level's which I don't think I did particularly well in for Jan , so I am probably going to retake them leaving me with 13 exams in the summer . Is it wise to retake my gcse to meet the requirement or should I focus entirely on Alevels. Thanks TheMiestero
Reply 1
imo, focus on your a-levels. they're much more crucial to getting into a uni.
Reply 2
This probably depends on the type of course you are interested in. For some courses, especially in the Mathematical and Scientific sphere, a certain GCSE grade is usually required. This will vary between universities. A GCSE at grade C or above in English and Maths is usually essential for nearly every programme of study.
Reply 3
It also depends how much work you are willing to put in to the exams this summer. A levels are largely more important, however if you are able to bring your GCSE grades up and still do well in your A levels, then why not?

If you think that the English GCSEs will affect your getting into university (i.e. a competetive course, or an essay-based course) then I advise you retake. Otherwise, just focus on A levels.
Reply 4
If you are taking a subject in which you want to do the re-take, then you will probably improve your performance without doing much extra work because you will be developing skills in the subject all the time. When I was in the Sixth Form, one of my friends took eleven exams in the same session and obtained his highest marks in them, so it is certainly doable.

Latest