Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I dont really find it attractive, mostly because if I go out with a guy that smokes and he lights up, even outside, it make me stink of smoke; clothes, hair, skin.. everything!

Also most of my friends have bad breath I know thats not the case for evey smoker but most of the smokers i know do.

all in all the fact that i dont smoke myself means i wouldnt really like a bf to but i wouldnt ever not go out with some one just because they do

ReputationRep:
    nope not at all attractive :nah:

ReputationRep:
    No no no. Unless it's cigars, because that means you're rich, and THAT'S attractive.

Jokes, cigars are also disgusting

i love it when a well spoken girl smokes decent cigarettes, especially on long summer evenings in a 1960's car.....ahh beautiful

ReputationRep:
    BIG TURN OFF !

I really really dislike it. The thought of having to kiss a guy if he'd been smoking yuk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    'cause it's not like some of the greatest intellectual figures in history were smokers, right?
    Ok ok, but you get my point

ReputationRep:
    As a smoker myself, I generally find other smokers more attractive than non-smokers. Having a smoker and a non in a relationship is never great, in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lazuliblue)
    Um, no.

It just makes me think he doesn't have the intellectual ability to see how ridiculous smoking is.
    I love this argument. It fails to take into account that you are unable to see why people could possibly do it. Smokers know the risks, its simply that they choose the pros over the cons.

It is stupid to suggest that your opinion is correct, and that others simply "fail to see it" due to a lack of intellectual ability.

Take a look through history, see how many of the greats did it.

I bet everybody who is arguing about the physical effects of smoking would have been puffing away 50 years ago. But some social sheep never change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niall_001)
    I love this argument. It fails to take into account that you are unable to see why people could possibly do it. Smokers know the risks, its simply that they choose the pros over the cons.

It is stupid to suggest that your opinion is correct, and that others simply "fail to see it" due to a lack of intellectual ability.

Take a look through history, see how many of the greats did it.

I bet everybody who is arguing about the physical effects of smoking would have been puffing away 50 years ago. But some social sheep never change
    Please list the pros! As far as i'm aware there aren't any at all...not even 1.
    how many of The greats did it....smoking had nothing to do with their greatness

ReputationRep:
    I don't like it personally. I don't smoke so maybe that's why, I don't think I've ever found anybody less attractive for smoking though. But I quickly go off the idea of dating them if they do, just because I don't like the idea of kissing someone who probably tastes like ashtray and I don't imagine a smoker/non smoker relationship working (maybe it has worked, but I can't see it working for me)

ReputationRep:
    I find it very unattractive!

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. With new people it is an absolute dealbreaker... but other more special people will experience tolerance from me, within reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gm15)
    Please list the pros! As far as i'm aware there aren't any at all...not even 1.
    how many of The greats did it....smoking had nothing to do with their greatness
    It had nothing to do with their greatness. That's what I was trying to say. It annoys me when people equate intellect with smoking habits. I was simply showing that it isn't a stupid decision as people may lead you to believe.

The pros will be different from person to person, some people find it relaxing, some people enjoy it as an activity in itself and others use it as a social function. If you look at the scientific effects on you, then it seems meaningless and pointless, I will grant that. But I bet you drink. Exactly the same argument may be used for alcohol. When you look at the actual effects it seems silly, it doesn't tap into any part of your brain that will increase your happiness. Needless to say it stains your teeth and screws up one of your internal organs (sound familiar??). Smoking is a habit, and humanity finds meaning in habit. If you have a rational reason to drink then you have one to smoke.

I am not saying people should smoke, I am simply saying people argue against it in the wrong way. There's nothing more annoying than someone who seriously believes you are unaware of the blatantly obvious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niall_001)
    It had nothing to do with their greatness. That's what I was trying to say. It annoys me when people equate intellect with smoking habits. I was simply showing that it isn't a stupid decision as people may lead you to believe.

The pros will be different from person to person, some people find it relaxing, some people enjoy it as an activity in itself and others use it as a social function. If you look at the scientific effects on you, then it seems meaningless and pointless, I will grant that. But I bet you drink. Exactly the same argument may be used for alcohol. When you look at the actual effects it seems silly, it doesn't tap into any part of your brain that will increase your happiness. Needless to say it stains your teeth and screws up one of your internal organs (sound familiar??). Smoking is a habit, and humanity finds meaning in habit. If you have a rational reason to drink then you have one to smoke.

I am not saying people should smoke, I am simply saying people argue against it in the wrong way. There's nothing more annoying than someone who seriously believes you are unaware of the blatantly obvious.
    You can be a genius and still make stupid decisions like smoking.
    There are other ways of relaxing that can't give you cancer. You can be social without smoking.
    if you look at the scientific effects on you, then it seems meaningless and pointless, I
    Thing is the scientific effects of addiction, ageing, cancer etc are kind of a big deal and i don't see how can look pass that.
    Also i don't drink at all.
    There's nothing more annoying than someone who seriously believes you are unaware of the blatantly obvious
    I don't think smokers are ignnorant of the facts...quite the opposite in fact...its the fact that they know the effects and do it anyway.

I think almost the same of alcohol. Why else would i be tee-total

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gm15)
    You can be a genius and still make stupid decisions like smoking.
    There are other ways of relaxing that can't give you cancer. You can be social without smoking.

Thing is the scientific effects of addiction, ageing, cancer etc are kind of a big deal and i don't see how can look pass that.
    Also i don't drink at all.

I don't think smokers are ignnorant of the facts...quite the opposite in fact...its the fact that they know the effects and do it anyway.

I think almost the same of alcohol. Why else would i be tee-total
    Well, if you are tee-total then I have a lot more respect for your opinions as you appear to be without paradox!

In that case it all boils down to lifestyle and what you place value on, if its the future or the now.

I wasn't trying to start a huge immature argument by the way, just that the common view is fairly grating. If you can see what I was getting at!

Some people just have a completely different perspective. Addiction is only an issue for those who dislike the habit. And the others who value long life I guess.

ReputationRep:
    But its pretty damn attractive to stop spoiling the thread.

ReputationRep:
    C'mon is question is old as earth itself.Stop trolling you know the answer yourself.

ReputationRep:
    The reasoning for why the person smokes is what decides whether it's attractive for me. Not got a good reason for smoking or something like that, I probably won't even pursue a conversation any further.

But some people smoke for their own good reason which is respectable and sometimes admirable because they get a lot of stick for doing something they like. So I can respect them as being an individual, I find that attractive.

ReputationRep:
    The attitudes of TSR girls on smoking are nearly as amusing as when they get asked what clothes look good on a guy and tend to prove that the majority of people on here are utterly clueless

Particularly amusing is the connection of smoking with intelligence people try to infer, as if anyone taking a risk is automatically a complete moron

And all this rubbish about premature aging and yellow teeth only happens with heavy smokers, I have like 5 a day, though I haven't smoked since Friday actually and continuing in this manner is not going to make my teeth turn black and make me age prematurely by 20 years, the difference will be negligible

Personally I don't think life would be better without cigarettes, alcohol, drugs and a bit of risk and unpredictability thrown into the mix

ReputationRep:
    To look at... not unattractive. BUT would not date a smoker, purely because I hate that the smell makes your clothes, hair and skin absolutely stink. So basically...smokers stink. :-/

I prefer to smell nice.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.