Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    The attitudes of TSR girls on smoking are nearly as amusing as when they get asked what clothes look good on a guy and tend to prove that the majority of people on here are utterly clueless

Particularly amusing is the connection of smoking with intelligence people try to infer, as if anyone taking a risk is automatically a complete moron

And all this rubbish about premature aging and yellow teeth only happens with heavy smokers, I have like 5 a day, though I haven't smoked since Friday actually and continuing in this manner is not going to make my teeth turn black and make me age prematurely by 20 years, the difference will be negligible

Personally I don't think life would be better without cigarettes, alcohol, drugs and a bit of risk and unpredictability thrown into the mix
    What he said, people who complain about the smell don't go out enough.

ReputationRep:
    the only thing i think when i see a guy smoke is thank god he won't be giving me lectures about how smoking is bad for my health..

as to whether it's attractive or not, each to their own i guess. I don't find it improves a guys attractiveness.. he's either attractive or he's not.

i can't stand people who nag me for smoking or give me disapproving looks because of my choices. i'm not smoking around them or inflicting them with lung cancer, i'm enjoying my life..

ReputationRep:
    I don't like it if a girl smokes. I mean, if I really liked a girl I'd put up with it but I'd try to convince her to give it up. It smells bad + it kills, and it just doesn't look nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RabbitCFH)
    I don't like it if a girl smokes. I mean, if I really liked a girl I'd put up with it but I'd try to convince her to give it up. It smells bad + it kills, and it just doesn't look nice.

That's not really putting up with it, if you're trying to convince her to quit. Why not just get with someone who you don't have to try and change? Let people make their own decisions.

ReputationRep:
    I smoke and my teeth are very white.

shrug

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AHughes)
    What about dating someone that has a thing for weeing on you?

or in you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisyesterday)
    That's not really putting up with it, if you're trying to convince her to quit. Why not just get with someone who you don't have to try and change? Let people make their own decisions.
    I wouldn't like her to have a lung cancer some day, that's why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RabbitCFH)
    I wouldn't like her to have a lung cancer some day, that's why.

Why would that be your choice? It'd be different if you were already with someone and they decided to take up smoking, but if they already smoke it's really nothing to do with you. You got with her knowing the situation.

ReputationRep:
    I smoke. Can't say I find it attractive or otherwise. It's just a thing someone does, like washing up dishes.

ReputationRep:
    Very attractive
    http://images.google.co.uk/url?sourc...P9sfG9Z9k5z-hg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome-o)
    Very attractive
    http://images.google.co.uk/url?sourc...P9sfG9Z9k5z-hg
    Hilarious! :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farmboy_Pip)
    i can't stand people who nag me for smoking or give me disapproving looks because of my choices. i'm not smoking around them or inflicting them with lung cancer, i'm enjoying my life..
    I'm exactly like this. Non smokers who get on their high horses about how vile and disgusting they find smoking and how it's idiotic and people who smoke are stupid, I can't abide.

And smoking can look sexy, unless it's a trackie-clad chav with a rollie hanging out the side of his mouth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by armageddonbride)
    I'm exactly like this. Non smokers who get on their high horses about how vile and disgusting they find smoking and how it's idiotic and people who smoke are stupid, I can't abide.

And smoking can look sexy, unless it's a trackie-clad chav with a rollie hanging out the side of his mouth.
    We're not on a high horse if we are simply right
    What's not vile and stupid about a habit:
    -That greatly increases your chance of a host of diseases
    -Makes you stink
    -Turns bits of you yellow eventually
    -Prematurely ages you
    - Reduces your fitness
    - Enduces coughing and hacking stuff up
    - Offers no advantage that would justify ignoring the above?

ReputationRep:
    Smoking is awful. I would not go out with a guy who smoked. I can get the same affect licking an ash tray.

ReputationRep:
    never
    its disgusting and any guy who thinks its cool is sad
    ...just an opinion lol

ReputationRep:
    I am not a girl, but I don't see how it would be attractive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gm15)
    We're not on a high horse if we are simply right
    Its nice to see people so open about beliefs these days. Don't you hate those fundamentalists....

ReputationRep:
    Some like it, some don't. :dontknow: Oh and some are indifferent.

From a guy's point of view, it can often be really hot to see a girl smoking... but it depends. It's sort of a rebellious, independent and power-enhancing symbol, and I can see where the sex-appeal of it comes from.

And yes I do biology and I know very well the compelling evidence for the harms of smoking, before I get hit with the anti-smoking brigade. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niall_001)
    Its nice to see people so open about beliefs these days. Don't you hate those fundamentalists....
    I'm not a fundamentalist its just nobody provided a genuine positive of smoking but the negatives are established and rather important

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gm15)
    I'm not a fundamentalist its just nobody provided a genuine positive of smoking but the negatives are established and rather important
    I think its more the harmful effects dont reveal themselves until its too late. Most youths I know who smoke just take it as "yeah..I might die..who gives a sh!t?" attitude- and once they start seeing harmful effects they're too hooked to alter their lifestyle.

I was a heavy smoker, who quit, and has now gone into social smoking, trying to cut down altogether.

Like it or not, people who smoke tend to be more sociable than those who don't. There is a definite social appeal in the habbit, add that to its addictive effect, and the fact its harm isnt aparent- its easy to see why people do it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.