Turn on thread page Beta

How much does dress sense, body and grooming matter for a guy? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd say confidence is more important.

But i've been informed that having decent "going out" clothes is important, which meant i was taken on a terrible shopping trip by my uni mates in which my answer to "do you prefer this or this?" was always "i have literally no opinion on the subject" - got a nice pair of shoes though, but you can't drive in them which is annoying

But then i'm gay, so that sort of means i should make an effort since the playing field is more level if that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    I've recently tried to make my wardrobe acceptable :ahee:, so I've bought slimmer clothes, but they're still kind of baggy

:beard: What makes them awesome?
    Because comfortable and tbh you don't look you best after being up till6 am anyway so may as well be in a giant hoody and have a nap :p:

Ah, I will buy clothes one day but currently I like wearing clothing that brings looks of pure horror on the tube (My personal favourite is my incest is best t-shirt)

ReputationRep:
    i keep a very very simple dress sense, although i can pretty much guarantee its your confidence and aura that has the real impact on people..

(Original post by crazylemon)
    Because comfortable and tbh you don't look you best after being up till6 am anyway so may as well be in a giant hoody and have a nap :p:

Ah, I will buy clothes one day but currently I like wearing clothing that brings looks of pure horror on the tube (My personal favourite is my incest is best t-shirt)
    :rofl: Why!? :yucky:

I might try shortening my tops somehow. But it's an irreversible process, amirite? :ahee:

Sorry, this is going off-topic. What can I say?

Erm, most of clothes are really basic. I have bare trouble finding tops that fit well, and I like to be clean when I go out, more for my sake than anyone else's. It's not as if anyone else cares. :mfing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)
    I'd say confidence is more important.

But i've been informed that having decent "going out" clothes is important, which meant i was taken on a terrible shopping trip by my uni mates in which my answer to "do you prefer this or this?" was always "i have literally no opinion on the subject" - got a nice pair of shoes though, but you can't drive in them which is annoying

But then i'm gay, so that sort of means i should make an effort since the playing field is more level if that makes sense
    I have been told this same thing, I have so far chosen to ignore said individual and have fortunately yet to be dragged on a shopping trip. Having said this in retaliation to this I did go out the next day (in december) in shorts, sandals and incest is best t-shirt with this guy. Oh boy was he pissed at having to be associated in public with me like that XD

But then I am not so bad as to get turned away at clubs (unlike, ironically, someone who normally dresses better than me)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    :rofl: Why!? :yucky:

I might try shortening my tops somehow. But it's an irreversible process, amirite? :ahee:

Sorry, this is going off-topic. What can I say?

Erm, most of clothes are really basic. I have bare trouble finding tops that fit well, and I like to be clean when I go out, more for my sake than anyone else's. It's not as if anyone else cares. :mfing:
    I must admit it has yet to bring me any positive female attention as a technique, but I do it cause the looks on people faces is priceless.
    Apparently I do get some attention but having no ability to get the hint nothing ever happens...

And yes shortening something is somewhat permament

ReputationRep:
    I have been told this same thing, I have so far chosen to ignore said individual and have fortunately yet to be dragged on a shopping trip. Having said this in retaliation to this I did go out the next day (in december) in shorts, sandals and incest is best t-shirt with this guy. Oh boy was he pissed at having to be associated in public with me like that XD

But then I am not so bad as to get turned away at clubs (unlike, ironically, someone who normally dresses better than me)
    I would happily wear the same thing every day. But i'm told you need to change to go out (seems silly to me). But I was forced to go shopping with them. When I insisted on calling them Trinny, Susannah and Gok Wan they got annoyed.

Actually got some jeans at a reasonable price though, only the equivalent of five packs of ****!

Why on earth i bought shoes that i can't drive in I have no idea!

(and don't get thin)

ReputationRep:
    I would happily wear the same thing every day. But i'm told you need to change to go out (seems silly to me). But I was forced to go shopping with them. When I insisted on calling them Trinny, Susannah and Gok Wan they got annoyed.

Actually got some jeans at a reasonable price though, only the equivalent of five packs of ****!

Why on earth i bought shoes that i can't drive in I have no idea!

(and don't get thin)
    I change to go out, I put on a shirt and remove the hoody.
    But buy wearing the same jeans I infuriate well dressed man :p:
    I suspect my time for a shopping spree will come once I realise I have money and can be bothered to change...it just I do smart or slob with nothing in between...

:rofl: at names

(I wasn't planning on becoming anorexic)

ReputationRep:
    I change to go out, I put on a shirt and remove the hoody.
    But buy wearing the same jeans I infuriate well dressed man :p:
    I suspect my time for a shopping spree will come once I realise I have money and can be bothered to change...it just I do smart or slob with nothing in between...

:rofl: at names

(I wasn't planning on becoming anorexic)
    It was odd in the start because they'd all say "lets go out, meet back here in 15 mins changed and ready". I'd say "wtf? changed? changed?!!! i'm wearing clothes!"

I would avoid shopping for as long as you can, you don't even have cigarettes to distract you! Though neither do i anymore since i've given up (apart from cigars but they don't count)
    Wish i had money

(that's good, it's nice having something to hug :p: )

ReputationRep:
    It was odd in the start because they'd all say "lets go out, meet back here in 15 mins changed and ready". I'd say "wtf? changed? changed?!!! i'm wearing clothes!"

I would avoid shopping for as long as you can, you don't even have cigarettes to distract you! Though neither do i anymore since i've given up (apart from cigars but they don't count)
    Wish i had money

(that's good, it's nice having something to hug :p: )
    I just didn't change, as I have said never been refused entry yet...

We will see on the shopping front, it is something I should probably do something about (plus plenty of people who do dress well who can shout at me for once again picking up the joke t shirt). having said this I always get asked whether someone's dress looks good (this is always a wtf moment of 'you are asking ME when there are 2 guys on the same corridor who know about fashion and can dress themselves so they do not look like a slob and you pick ME to evaluate you dress, Really?')

ReputationRep:
    I just didn't change, as I have said never been refused entry yet...

We will see on the shopping front, it is something I should probably do something about (plus plenty of people who do dress well who can shout at me for once again picking up the joke t shirt). having said this I always get asked whether someone's dress looks good (this is always a wtf moment of 'you are asking ME when there are 2 guys on the same corridor who know about fashion and can dress themselves so they do not look like a slob and you pick ME to evaluate you dress, Really?')
    :rofl:

I never get asked if people dress well, but guys ask me if they're attractive, or they ask me if another guy is attractive :p:

I so nearly bought a Jeremy Clarkson t-shirt that says "change gear, check mirrors, murder a prostitute" but i resisted

ReputationRep:
    Even if it is just your confidence increasing, thats probably better. A guy with a great body and no confidence won't get anything.

ReputationRep:

I never get asked if people dress well, but guys ask me if they're attractive, or they ask me if another guy is attractive :p:

I so nearly bought a Jeremy Clarkson t-shirt that says "change gear, check mirrors, murder a prostitute" but i resisted

I would have bought it :p:

I think I probably get asked as the snob of the corridor as I am used to more formal black tie events.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's just because you have confidence. If I bother to get dressed up I feel great, but if I know I look awful I'll shy away from people. As for if girls like it, it completely depends on the girl. I kinda like guys to look like tramps...but then again they need to look like organised tramps, if that makes sense...clean but rugged I think is what I'm getting at. I really hate pretty, clean shaven guys.

ReputationRep:
    i smoke so apparently i can put any amount of effort in but that just kills everything

How much does the "buff"ness of a guy matter to girls? On a purely visual level, would girls choose someone with some muscle on them but who dressed kind of averagely over someone who put a lot of effort into their clothes but was skinny as a stick? (assuming the personality and grooming levels for the two guys were more or less the same)
    Just wanting to check if all my effort in the gym but not much effort with the wardrobe is the right course of action.

ReputationRep:

I would have bought it :p:

I think I probably get asked as the snob of the corridor as I am used to more formal black tie events.

I do love black tie - imo there's either not bothering and there's black tie but nothing in between :p:

Give me a tinkle sometime during the week

ReputationRep:

I do love black tie - imo there's either not bothering and there's black tie but nothing in between :p:

Give me a tinkle sometime during the week
    Going on train for 6 hours now, you will be called :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.