Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I start uni in two weeks, and I'm in a manual wheelchair, as I have Cerebral Palsy.

I'm really worried about getting around campus, especially getting lost as I have a poor sense of direction. Have been for a tour around my lecture theatres and they don't seem too bad, but I'm still very nervous about it all.

I'm studying Law, Sociology and Philosophy.

I'm also worried about the social side of things. I didn't have many friends in high school, but I'm hoping to change that. It's just there seems to be so many students I'mnot sure how I'm going to get to know any of them well enough to become friends.

Does anyone have experience in this area? I'd really love to talk to anyone who has, if that's okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canty10)
    I start uni in two weeks, and I'm in a manual wheelchair, as I have Cerebral Palsy.

I'm really worried about getting around campus, especially getting lost as I have a poor sense of direction. Have been for a tour around my lecture theatres and they don't seem too bad, but I'm still very nervous about it all.

I'm studying Law, Sociology and Philosophy.

I'm also worried about the social side of things. I didn't have many friends in high school, but I'm hoping to change that. It's just there seems to be so many students I'mnot sure how I'm going to get to know any of them well enough to become friends.

Does anyone have experience in this area? I'd really love to talk to anyone who has, if that's okay.
    Im afraid i dont really have any advice to give either than everyone ive met at university have been really nice and helpful - unlike the almost immediate dislike secondary school students have for anyone. How are you studying 3 topics at university? Whats the degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Im afraid i dont really have any advice to give either than everyone ive met at university have been really nice and helpful - unlike the almost immediate dislike secondary school students have for anyone. How are you studying 3 topics at university? Whats the degree?
    That's good. Reassuring at least.

I'm doing an LLB and a BA. So a double degree.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently a first year studying journalism at university and I have CP. I'm able to get around with an electric wheelchair. Like you, I was worried about the social side. I didn't attend freshers week due to my adapted halls not being ready.

I'm not going to lie, making friends is hard for anyone but more so when disablity is involved. I think it's important to participate in freshers week as much as you can and try and join societies.

I'm hoping to transfer to English next September at my uni and so will be a first year all over again. I definitely want things to change in the social department!

Funnily enough I too have a poor sense of direction. It is pretty awful! I think I need to work on that!

Nerves come with the experience and remember that making friends will take time. In the meanwhile, you can just try and get used to university life as much as possible.

ReputationRep:
    My uni offered me orientation support at the beginning. I have a visual disability and I had a student allocated who would accompany me the first time I went anywhere new if I wanted them to.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.