Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I want to apply for Msc in Management or maybe finance ( don't know much about them, maybe you can help me out?) next year. I already have a first grade in Mechanical engineering from Leeds uni and now doing my MSc in Mech eng in UBC, Canada. Do you think having another MSc helps to get into LES or LBS? I have already looked at Cass and IC and I think those are good unis but it seems like LES and LBS are much better. Cass is currently have 2nd best business school in the UK ( after LBS) but i've read so many bad things about it on this forum. What do you guys think?

Also, what do you think is good for an engineer to get into. I sort of want to use my engineering skills as well so all these past years won't go to waste. I worked hard:p: !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babulixe)
    Hey,

I want to apply for Msc in Management or maybe finance ( don't know much about them, maybe you can help me out?) next year. I already have a first grade in Mechanical engineering from Leeds uni and now doing my MSc in Mech eng in UBC, Canada. Do you think having another MSc helps to get into LES or LBS? I have already looked at Cass and IC and I think those are good unis but it seems like LES and LBS are much better. Cass is currently have 2nd best business school in the UK ( after LBS) but i've read so many bad things about it on this forum. What do you guys think?

Also, what do you think is good for an engineer to get into. I sort of want to use my engineering skills as well so all these past years won't go to waste. I worked hard:p: !
    Not being facetious, surely it's good for an engineer to get into engineering? What are your career goals and what is driving you to pursue a masters degree in a new field? It would be helpful if you can answer what you believe a management masters is going to give you that two degree have not already? (not a trick question...)

Let's clarify one thing. Cass is not the 2nd best business school in the UK (not even close) however its MSc Management programme is certainly well ranked in the FT. Part of the reason you are reading bad comments is because a not insignificant part of their reputation comes from their very astute marketing rather than academic rigour. But make no mistake, it's not a bad school (and they certainly have good connections into 'The City' if you're eyeing up a move into financial services) but they aren't yet at the level they are proclaiming.

Regarding your specific question about gaining entry to LBS or LSE, it would be worth putting some focus into other aspects of your application such as whether your GMAT is competitive etc - as assuming you have good grades at undergraduate level, your MSc is largely superfluous.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an engineering grad (majored in operations research) who recently got accepted into LSE MSc Finance. Even without your MSc in engineering you'd probably still have a decent chance of getting, as long as you have good grades/references.

I was under the impression that LBS required work experience for most of its courses though, which may or may not be a problem (I didn't apply there because of this).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makaveli121)
    I was under the impression that LBS required work experience for most of its courses though, which may or may not be a problem (I didn't apply there because of this).
    The LBS MSc Management is a pre-experience programme.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for replies. Well, to answer your questions about my objectives I should say I don't really know. I just feel a managerial job would fit me much better. I started to looking at a management degree more seriously about a month ago. First I thought I get into to a PhD in the US but i do lack some basic business knowledge which would make it hard for me to get into PhD programme. Some friends constantly saying it's much better for me to do finance or economics because I'm quite comfortable with maths but I'm just not sure about it yet. Finance seems much better than economics to me I should say. But anyway, the plan is doing a MSc in management and get some general knowledge, work for a few years maybe in consultancy, and then proceed to do a PhD in strategic management or operations management. I also do like to start up my own engineering/ consultancy firm. But the problem is since I am very new to the whole thing I don't have a clear view of the jobs I can possibly get with such degree. That's why i'm calling for your help! The reason I said LES or LBS is because I thought It'd be easier to get job while you graduate because of the reputation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.