Turn on thread page Beta

Someone please help me with this Maths Question? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Please help me, I am stuck!!

okai question:

A ball is dropped from a height of 10 m. It bounces to a height of 7 m and continues to bounce. Subsequent heights to which it bounces follow a geometric sequence. Find out:

a) How high it will bounce after the fourth bounce.
    b)The total distance travelled after it hits the ground for the sixth time.

For a) I got 2.401 which is right.
    b) Answer is meant to be 48.82 but how do you get that?

Thanks sooo much!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Your Future Doctor)
    Hey! Please help me, I am stuck!!

okai question:

A ball is dropped from a height of 10 m. It bounces to a height of 7 m and continues to bounce. Subsequent heights to which it bounces follow a geometric sequence. Find out:

a) How high it will bounce after the fourth bounce.
    b)The total distance travelled after it hits the ground for the sixth time.

For a) I got 2.401 which is right.
    b) Answer is meant to be 48.82 but how do you get that?

Thanks sooo much!!
    I've moved this thread to the Maths forum, as the A-Levels forum isn't the best place for subject-specific help.

You just need to add up the terms of a geometric progression. Separate out the initial fall (as this is only one-way, rather than up then down), then consider the distance travelled for each successive up-down motion (which is 7/10 of the previous distance each time). Do you know the formula to find the sum of terms of a GP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    I've moved this thread to the Maths forum, as the A-Levels forum isn't the best place for subject-specific help.

You just need to add up the terms of a geometric progression. Separate out the initial fall (as this is only one-way, rather than up then down), then consider the distance travelled for each successive up-down motion (which is 7/10 of the previous distance each time). Do you know the formula to find the sum of terms of a GP?

Thank you! Im new on TSR so I cant work out how to put thread into different categories :confused:

Yup! I used the sum of terms and I got the answer now! Thanks a lot for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Im new on TSR so I cant work out how to put thread into different categories :confused:

Yup! I used the sum of terms and I got the answer now! Thanks a lot for your help.
    Glad to hear that you've got it sorted.

To see a full list of the forums on the site, click on the "Forums" tab at the top of every page. We have subject-specific academic forums for most common subjects, and more general 'umbrella' categories to cover the rest (such as the Maths, Science and Technology Academic Help forum that this Maths forum is part of). Of course, TSR isn't just about academic questions, so I'd encourage you to explore the wider areas that the site covers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Glad to hear that you've got it sorted.

To see a full list of the forums on the site, click on the "Forums" tab at the top of every page. We have subject-specific academic forums for most common subjects, and more general 'umbrella' categories to cover the rest (such as the Maths, Science and Technology Academic Help forum that this Maths forum is part of). Of course, TSR isn't just about academic questions, so I'd encourage you to explore the wider areas that the site covers.
    Wow! Thank you for telling me this. I just checked it out and now I know how to create a thread under a specific category/sub-forum.:woo:
    Yeah I am still discovering TSR and learning some new things.
    Thanks again.
    Are you at Uni?

ReputationRep:
    Wow! Thank you for telling me this. I just checked it out and now I know how to create a thread under a specific category/sub-forum.:woo:
    Yeah I am still discovering TSR and learning some new things.
    Thanks again.
    Are you at Uni?
    Graduated

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 7, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.