Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.

Ok, simple question. What exercise can I do despite having an injured knee? I usually cross train and/or use the treadmill and rowing machine for about 30-60 minutes total, a few times a week. It's for purely aesthetic purposes, sorry, I am just vain and know how easily I gain weight during term time. But a few days ago, I think I pulled a muscle or something in my knee (possibly whilst cross-training) and now I have quite bad pain in that knee when I bend it, especially when putting pressure on it whilst it's bent.

I can walk alright, except the occasional twinge. The problem at the moment is stairs; because pressure can't be put on my right leg while the knee is bent, I have to either hobble up and down stairs holding on to the rail, or step onto every step right foot first keeping it straight, which takes ages and drives me mad.

I'm really no good at sitting still for long periods of time, so the college nurse's advice to rest the leg is difficult. My mum had an ankle injury recently and insists that the way she got through it was staying active but not putting *too* much strain on that ankle.

Basically, I want to stay fit and not have to laze around with my foot on a stool for a week. Firstly, I'm just too restless a person, and secondly I've gained weight as it is this term, and really don't want lack of activity to lead to more. After a week where I've gained a few pounds through stress and irresponsible eating, my plan was to get into a daily routine of hitting the gym every morning and evening this week. But now I can't, it seems.

Any advice? Would maybe walking on the treadmill on the flat be ok? I guess the cross trainer and rowing machine are out because I'd need to bend.

Sorry for the long post, I ramble on waaay too much.

Any advice much appreciated.

B xxx

ReputationRep:
    Arm exercises?
    Keep it easy on the knee!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EducatingBrogan)
    Basically, I want to stay fit
    You aren't going to get unfit after a couple of days to a week rest unless you were never fit in the first place.

Firstly, I'm just too restless a person
    Sometimes you have to make a sacrifice for your own well being, whether it's forgoing socials to revise for an upcoming exam or resting an injury.

The better you rest now the quicker you will recover and get back to working out properly.

secondly I've gained weight as it is this term, and really don't want lack of activity to lead to more.
    Revise your diet to reflect your activity level (ie; inactive) - cut back on your calorific intake to prevent/reduce fat gain.

After a week where I've gained a few pounds through stress and irresponsible eating
    Take the time to clean up your diet and relax then.

Any advice? Would maybe walking on the treadmill on the flat be ok? I guess the cross trainer and rowing machine are out because I'd need to bend.
    1) Rest

2) Clean up your diet

3) Gentle exercise, perhaps some walking and/or swimming but if it's uncomfortable keep it to an absolute minimum to avoid further agravating the injury.

4) Look into perhaps some upper body resistance work, pullups, chinups, dips, overhead pressing, pushups, seated rows, bench pressing, etc.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.