Turn on thread page Beta

Possible diabetic? watch

Hi so basically my parents are pressuring me to go and see a doctor about possibly having diabetes as I do have a few of the symptoms (lost weight, drinking more, toilet more, tiredness etc) plus my dad is a type 1 diabetic.

The thing is I think the symptoms are more down to the fact I'm not eating as much food, I find it hard to sleep hence the tiredness and I can't explain why I drink more but obviously I'm going to go to the toilet more if I drink more.

I know the only way of knowing is to go and get the test but honestly I'm too scared of it being positive. I'm the type of person who thinks that if you try and forget about something it will go away.

I asked my friend to come with me to the doctors at uni so my parents wouldn't know but then I kind of forgot about it and never made the appointment...to be honest I don't even know if I need an appointment with a doctor or if a nurse could do it, does anyone know?

Also just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience really.

ReputationRep:
    Just go for it - it'll be better in the long run if you go earlier, since the high sugars tend to knock out your ability to concentrate too. It's a really simple test, you'll know within the day. I got diagnosed type 1 diabetic two years ago and it's really not bad at all, if anything it's improved the way I eat and treat myself and how I hope with things.

EDIT: Book an appointment with your GP and say you think you're diabetic. He'll book you a blood test, test the sugar levels, and then you'll see. The longer you leave it, the sicker you'll get - look up Diabetic Ketoacidosis.

That's the thing I see it as bad because of how I've seen it affect my dad when he has a hypo, I know it's not that often but it's horrible when it does happen.

I can go a day without eating til about 8pm so I would have thought if I was diabetic surely I would have collapsed or experienced something by now?

I was actually in the exact same position as you like a month ago.

My parents were completely pissing me off and categorising all of the things I was experiencing as a symptom of diabetes.

I had the tiredness, loss of weight, more thirsty, more toilet going, shaky-ness.

My dad made me an appointment one day and told me half an hour before, so I HAD TO GO TO IT!

I was mad as hell with him but I went, the nurse was quite quick about it and turns out I do have Diabetes.

. . .It's not as scary as it sounds but it's better to know what's wrong than for it to get out of hand.

You'll feel much better knowing what your body's up to, trust me don't leave it unchecked.

Anyway it could still be nothing to worry about, one of my friends was having the same problems and her blood sugar was fine, turns out she was having anxiety problems!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    That's the thing I see it as bad because of how I've seen it affect my dad when he has a hypo, I know it's not that often but it's horrible when it does happen.

I can go a day without eating til about 8pm so I would have thought if I was diabetic surely I would have collapsed or experienced something by now?
    Hypos are completely avoidable and treatable - I have NEVER had a hypo where I've not been able to treat it, and the lowest my blood sugar's gone is 2.2 mmol/l. I find hyperglycaemia alot worse - I hate the headaches, the tiredness, the eye pain, and the general stupidity it forces on me. I can't concentrate, and then you have to take the right amount of insulin to bring it down, and then you have to wait for the insulin to take effect... sucks. All of it's completely avoidable though, if you test your blood sugar regularly and watch what you're eating.

If you're undiagnosed, then you wouldn't have collapsed - when you're developing diabetes and your insulin production goes down, your body swaps from glucose to muscle as food. So, all the weight your losing is really muscle... Your blood sugar's just going to stay high. It'll fluctuate of course, with what your eating and how much sugar your kidneys can filter from your blood (hence increased urination), but you wont collapse.

I was actually in the exact same position as you like a month ago.

My parents were completely pissing me off and categorising all of the things I was experiencing as a symptom of diabetes.

I had the tiredness, loss of weight, more thirsty, more toilet going, shaky-ness.

My dad made me an appointment one day and told me half an hour before, so I HAD TO GO TO IT!

I was mad as hell with him but I went, the nurse was quite quick about it and turns out I do have Diabetes.

. . .It's not as scary as it sounds but it's better to know what's wrong than for it to get out of hand.

You'll feel much better knowing what your body's up to, trust me don't leave it unchecked.

Anyway it could still be nothing to worry about, one of my friends was having the same problems and her blood sugar was fine, turns out she was having anxiety problems!
    That is so true, it's really pissing me off. Out of curiosity how long had you been experiencing the symptoms?

Thanks for the information muffinz, I know I should get it checked out it's making me upset even thinking about it though hence wanting to take a friend for support. I'll try and go sometime this week.

ReputationRep:
    That is so true, it's really pissing me off. Out of curiosity how long had you been experiencing the symptoms?

Thanks for the information muffinz, I know I should get it checked out it's making me upset even thinking about it though hence wanting to take a friend for support. I'll try and go sometime this week.
    Really? My parents saw it as symptoms of teenage laziness and threatened to send me to social services if I didn't go to school. T.T I made my Mum feel so guilty when I got admitted to hospital and was on a ******* drip.

It'll be fine, really. The sooner you go and get it checked out, the better. Diabetes really isn't bad - it's not like it's leukaemia or something, y'know?

EDIT: I'd had symptoms for just over a year.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'll have to agree with Muffinz and say that the sooner you go the better. When I was diagnosed around a year ago, I ignored all the symptoms for months, and my health really deteriorated and i lost around 12kg. I was in such a bad state when I was finally admitted to hospital that I had to spend over a week on an IV getting my blood sugar levels stableised.

So yeah go in for the test with an open mind and hope for the best. And if it turns out you've got the big D don't be downhearted too much, it's turned me into a fit healthy and happy person, and for some bizarre reason I've been getting drunk twice as quick on insulin

all the best! kiyon x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiyon)
    Yeah I'll have to agree with Muffinz and say that the sooner you go the better. When I was diagnosed around a year ago, I ignored all the symptoms for months, and my health really deteriorated and i lost around 12kg. I was in such a bad state when I was finally admitted to hospital that I had to spend over a week on an IV getting my blood sugar levels stableised.

So yeah go in for the test with an open mind and hope for the best. And if it turns out you've got the big D don't be downhearted too much, it's turned me into a fit healthy and happy person, and for some bizarre reason I've been getting drunk twice as quick on insulin

all the best! kiyon x
    A week?! Holy crap! I had a drip for two days and got discharged after 3 when I got all my pens and stuff, and I thought that was bad. I did like almost dropping a jeans size though... lol

(Original post by Muffinz)
    Really? My parents saw it as symptoms of teenage laziness and threatened to send me to social services if I didn't go to school. T.T I made my Mum feel so guilty when I got admitted to hospital and was on a ******* drip.

It'll be fine, really. The sooner you go and get it checked out, the better. Diabetes really isn't bad - it's not like it's leukaemia or something, y'know?

EDIT: I'd had symptoms for just over a year.
    That is very true, I should be appreciative it could be a hell of a lot worse. I suppose I'm just scared of the medicine and having to be able to control my meals and stuff properly

ReputationRep:
    I ignored the symptoms and woke up in ITU after nearly dying......

You need to get tested cause the ******* thing ruins your body while sugar levels are high

ReputationRep:
    A week?! Holy crap! I had a drip for two days and got discharged after 3 when I got all my pens and stuff, and I thought that was bad. I did like almost dropping a jeans size though... lol
    Yeah the weight loss was crazy. I kind of didn't really notice it, nor did my friends who saw me every day. It was only when some friends who'd come back from uni saw me and said that I looked like a skeleton. I put on a good few kg's in that week in hospital, and what's quite weird is that for the first few months of having it my weight went in the completely other direction so had to work extra hard to bring my weight back to what it was.

ReputationRep:
    That is very true, I should be appreciative it could be a hell of a lot worse. I suppose I'm just scared of the medicine and having to be able to control my meals and stuff properly
    If you're scared of needles (like I was before I got admitted to hospital) you'll get over it pretty quickly, especially once they tell you that you're not allowed out until you take the insulin yourself... Meals are so easy to control. I still eat basically the same stuff, except now I turn down biscuits and mints and don't eat chocolate bars. I hardly ever snack, and if I do it's toast or cereal or crisps or something carby. It'll be fine, there'll be hardly any difference. And think of all the free stuff you'll get!

(If you do get diagnosed diabetic, then ask for the onetouch ultraeasy glucometer in green/pink... I have it in green ^_______^ If you're gonna be a diabetic you might as well have a pimpin' glucometer, right?)

(Original post by Awesome-o)
    I ignored the symptoms and woke up in ITU after nearly dying......

You need to get tested cause the ******* thing ruins your body while sugar levels are high
    Eeesh that sounds so scary :|

I've dropped 3 sizes already so about 2 stone :/ honestly as it's my first year at uni my eating habits have changed but it did just seem to fall off.

ReputationRep:
    Eeesh that sounds so scary :|

I've dropped 3 sizes already so about 2 stone :/ honestly as it's my first year at uni my eating habits have changed but it did just seem to fall off.
    Wow. Go to the doctor's. Now. >_<

If you're scared of needles (like I was before I got admitted to hospital) you'll get over it pretty quickly, especially once they tell you that you're not allowed out until you take the insulin yourself... Meals are so easy to control. I still eat basically the same stuff, except now I turn down biscuits and mints and don't eat chocolate bars. I hardly ever snack, and if I do it's toast or cereal or crisps or something carby. It'll be fine, there'll be hardly any difference. And think of all the free stuff you'll get!

(If you do get diagnosed diabetic, then ask for the onetouch ultraeasy glucometer in green/pink... I have it in green ^_______^ If you're gonna be a diabetic you might as well have a pimpin' glucometer, right?)
    It's not the needles more the tablets I'm scared of. As pathetic as it sounds I can't swallow them at all, even the tiny ones.
    I tend not to eat meals I just snack now :rolleyes: ergh please let it be negative

ReputationRep:
    It's not the needles more the tablets I'm scared of. As pathetic as it sounds I can't swallow them at all, even the tiny ones.
    I tend not to eat meals I just snack now :rolleyes: ergh please let it be negative
    Type 1s don't get tablets, only insulin. Again, once you get told you can't get out of hospital/leave care until you learn to take injections/tablets/whatever it may be, you learn to take it really quickly. Hospital sucks balls compared to the outside world, lol. It'll be fine, whatever the outcome.

Can you get the test when it's your time of the month or will that interfere with the results?

ReputationRep:
    It won't effect it. Your sugars can be a little elevated in that period, but the elevation you need for a diagnosis of diabetes (I think it's like 11 mmol/l for an extended period?) any effects that your period will have on it will be trivial.

Ok thanks for all your help.
    I'll ring when I go back to uni, fingers crossed for a negative result.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.