Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi so basically my parents are pressuring me to go and see a doctor about possibly having diabetes as I do have a few of the symptoms (lost weight, drinking more, toilet more, tiredness etc) plus my dad is a type 1 diabetic.

The thing is I think the symptoms are more down to the fact I'm not eating as much food, I find it hard to sleep hence the tiredness and I can't explain why I drink more but obviously I'm going to go to the toilet more if I drink more.

I know the only way of knowing is to go and get the test but honestly I'm too scared of it being positive. I'm the type of person who thinks that if you try and forget about something it will go away.

I asked my friend to come with me to the doctors at uni so my parents wouldn't know but then I kind of forgot about it and never made the appointment...to be honest I don't even know if I need an appointment with a doctor or if a nurse could do it, does anyone know?

Also just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience really.
    Book an appointment with the GP. Try to make the appoinetment for first thing in the morning.
    Don't eat or drink ANYTHING other than water for 8 hours before the appointment.
    That way they can do a proper 'fasting glucose' test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Book an appointment with the GP. Try to make the appoinetment for first thing in the morning.
    Don't eat or drink ANYTHING other than water for 8 hours before the appointment.
    That way they can do a proper 'fasting glucose' test
    Yeah, but the thing is even if she ate something, her blood sugar might go to like 8 or 9 or something, whereas if she's really diabetic and eats a full meal (say a pizza and a slice of cake) her blood sugar will hit 25. I don't think it'll make much a difference, and in any case the doctor can test urine for glucose/ketones.

(Original post by Muffinz)
    Yeah, but the thing is even if she ate something, her blood sugar might go to like 8 or 9 or something, whereas if she's really diabetic and eats a full meal (say a pizza and a slice of cake) her blood sugar will hit 25. I don't think it'll make much a difference, and in any case the doctor can test urine for glucose/ketones.
    If she is diabetic her fasting blood glucose level will be high.

However a high post prandial (thats post eating) glucose level tells you nothing really.

ReputationRep:
    Symptoms of hyperglycaemia and a venous glucose of >11.1 at any time is a diagnosis of diabetes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    If she is diabetic her fasting blood glucose level will be high.

However a high post prandial (thats post eating) glucose level tells you nothing really.
    She's not going to eat lunch (consisting of half a tub of icecream/a bag of sugar) then go straight to the doctors, lol. Honestly, if you look at the OP's symptoms, they've obviously been developing for some time, so insulin deficiency should cause her blood glucose to be abnormally high regardless. When I got diagnosed, I had my blood tested about an hour after I'd eaten my dinner (a pizza) and it was 31 mmol/l. You're never going to get a blood glucose that high in any cirumstance in a regular person.

(Original post by Muffinz)
    She's not going to eat lunch (consisting of half a tub of icecream/a bag of sugar) then go straight to the doctors, lol. Honestly, if you look at the OP's symptoms, they've obviously been developing for some time, so insulin deficiency should cause her blood glucose to be abnormally high regardless. When I got diagnosed, I had my blood tested about an hour after I'd eaten my dinner (a pizza) and it was 31 mmol/l. You're never going to get a blood glucose that high in any cirumstance in a regular person.
    Sigh.

the best test is a fasting glucose and a glucose tolerance test.
    No debating it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ok thanks for all your help.
    I'll ring when I go back to uni, fingers crossed for a negative result.
    You can get it done for free at the pharmacy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Sigh.

the best test is a fasting glucose and a glucose tolerance test.
    No debating it.
    odd then that the current guidelines do not support your erroneous assertion

http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepa...?ID=1745223718

symptomatic and random blood sugar in excess of 11.1 mmol ...

(Original post by zippyRN)
    odd then that the current guidelines do not support your erroneous assertion

http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepa...?ID=1745223718

symptomatic and random blood sugar in excess of 11.1 mmol ...
    That was quite a selective quote you have there.

In any case, speaking in terms of the BEST test with the highest sensitivity and lowest false positive rate it is the fasting glucose.
    It lives very little room for doubt, and is very easy to give a fasting glucose so ong as the patient is aware of it.
    Much in the same way as being able to give a urine sample if they know not to pee just before they leave for the doctors.
    [exception being women of course who can seemingly pee on demand]

How long does it take for the results? Will I have to go back?

I haven't been yet but still plan on ringing tomorrow and hopefully get an appointment that day

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.