The Student Room Group

Interested in performing arts but...

This question is for the dramatic arts people. I really want to find a foundation-like course that combines dance and drama (and possibly music) for people like me who have no experience in acting or dance but really want to give it a try. Is this BTEC qualification what I am looking for?

I would prefer that the course be in London. Speaking of which does anyone how reputable/good those City Lit acting classes are? I also REALLY like the sound of the foundation course at LIPA (Foundation Diploma in Performing Arts) but it looks highly competitive and it seems like you have to have had some drama/dance training before you apply. ALSO it doesn't start until September and I don't want to wait that long!

I am not 100% sure at this point if drama, dance and theatre is my thing... the only thing I know is that I really want to give it a try in a serious way. But I don't want to waste time either. Say I take a taster course in the summer and decide acting is really what I want to do but because I'd decided too late and the course is not enough to prepare me for applying to drama schools, I would then have to undergo further training before I can have a hope of being accepted at drama school, if you see what I mean. That's why I want to be in a course that would prepare me well in terms of auditioning for drama or dance school. By the way I am 24 so I really don't want to waste anymore time.

I am starting to think that no such course exist and my best bet is to take several evening classes at a place like City lit, but they don't offer the intensive and full-on courseload I am looking for. I want to eat and breathe dance and drama, if you know what I mean.

PS - Not really related, but this is about acting in general. I am 100% terrified about the idea of performing in front of a large audience, or auditioning in general. To think of applying to study ACTING scares me to death, but I still feel this irresistable pull towards it. I am this strange mix of being extremely private and shy but also enjoying attention and the limelight.
Reply 1
Wouldn't it be better to go to an actual acting school rather than get a degree? Some of them look amazing...
Reply 2
('',)
Wouldn't it be better to go to an actual acting school rather than get a degree? Some of them look amazing...

Oh, you mean RADA or LAMDA or Central? Sure... those are the type of schools I am interested in getting into, but I am at experience level 0 right now.

Anyone have any suggestions with regards to my original question? I've been looking into these BTEC National Diploma Qualifications. They seem to be what I am looking for but appear to be aimed for 16-18 year olds and I'd prefer to be in a group with more varied ages. Another thing is it seems like there are too many diplomas to progress through. You first have to take the Introductory diploma, then level 2, then level 3. That's like 3-4 years!

All I am looking for is a pretty comprehensive course that covers all sections of the performing arts including dance & acting for adult beginners. I see the Mountview Academy of Theatre arts have courses like this...

NTRODUCTION TO PERFORMING ARTS: Aimed at people who wish to study all aspects of performing arts. This course will give an introduction to acting, singing and dance techniques

This seems good and what I am looking for, but they last 10 weeks only and I don't know how much I could get out of a course like that.
Reply 3
Wow really? Nobody????
Reply 4
lunchbox
This question is for the dramatic arts people. I really want to find a foundation-like course that combines dance and drama (and possibly music) for people like me who have no experience in acting or dance but really want to give it a try. Is this BTEC qualification what I am looking for?

I would prefer that the course be in London. Speaking of which does anyone how reputable/good those City Lit acting classes are? I also REALLY like the sound of the foundation course at LIPA (Foundation Diploma in Performing Arts) but it looks highly competitive and it seems like you have to have had some drama/dance training before you apply. ALSO it doesn't start until September and I don't want to wait that long!

I am not 100% sure at this point if drama, dance and theatre is my thing... the only thing I know is that I really want to give it a try in a serious way. But I don't want to waste time either. Say I take a taster course in the summer and decide acting is really what I want to do but because I'd decided too late and the course is not enough to prepare me for applying to drama schools, I would then have to undergo further training before I can have a hope of being accepted at drama school, if you see what I mean. That's why I want to be in a course that would prepare me well in terms of auditioning for drama or dance school. By the way I am 24 so I really don't want to waste anymore time.

I am starting to think that no such course exist and my best bet is to take several evening classes at a place like City lit, but they don't offer the intensive and full-on courseload I am looking for. I want to eat and breathe dance and drama, if you know what I mean.

PS - Not really related, but this is about acting in general. I am 100% terrified about the idea of performing in front of a large audience, or auditioning in general. To think of applying to study ACTING scares me to death, but I still feel this irresistable pull towards it. I am this strange mix of being extremely private and shy but also enjoying attention and the limelight.

If you have no experience, and you're just wanting to give something a try, you probably shouldn't do it through drama school, especially if you have no confidence and the thought of standing up in front of an audience scares you. That is exactly what a performing arts course is made of.

Also, training is actually frowned on at drama school auditions as they can actually lead you astray. I know you said you don't want to wait, but gaining experience in the performing arts field takes time.

Maybe you should look on the internet for a local amateur dramatics group, and get involved.

The only "training" I have ever had are singing lessons. Apart from that, my experience is all through amateur dramatics (27 shows in 7 years with 5 different companies) and music examinations. I also directed something last year.

If you're serious about going into performing arts, you need to get some experience, and that'll help your confidence and give you a better idea of what to expect at drama school.

Good luck with everything :smile:
Reply 5
yvaiine
If you have no experience, and you're just wanting to give something a try, you probably shouldn't do it through drama school, especially if you have no confidence and the thought of standing up in front of an audience scares you. That is exactly what a performing arts course is made of.

Also, training is actually frowned on at drama school auditions as they can actually lead you astray. I know you said you don't want to wait, but gaining experience in the performing arts field takes time.

Maybe you should look on the internet for a local amateur dramatics group, and get involved.

The only "training" I have ever had are singing lessons. Apart from that, my experience is all through amateur dramatics (27 shows in 7 years with 5 different companies) and music examinations. I also directed something last year.

If you're serious about going into performing arts, you need to get some experience, and that'll help your confidence and give you a better idea of what to expect at drama school.

Good luck with everything :smile:

Well you're also only 17. You've had loads of opportunity in your school to participate in dramatics and the like.... in an environment that's relatively safe and insulated... I should have done that when I was in high school and had that opportunity. But then again my school was
complete crap.
Reply 6
lunchbox
Well you're also only 17. You've had loads of opportunity in your school to participate in dramatics and the like.... in an environment that's relatively safe and insulated... I should have done that when I was in high school and had that opportunity. But then again my school was
complete crap.

None of what I've done has been in school.
Hi there,

I stand by Yvaiine has said - it may be better for you to join a local Am Dram group where you can get some experience of performing. If you've never given it a go, and the thought of acting terrifies you - you really ought to try it in a relatively safe environment where there's no pressure (you mentioned school, but as thats no longer an option, an Amateur Dramatic group would be PERFECT).

Do you go and see much theatre or dance? Is this a subject you are truely passionate about? Without ever having any experience in it, most courses would be doubtful of your enthusiasm for the subject and so without even a little experience, it's unlikely you'll be offered a place.

Join an Am Dram group, see if performing really is your thing, and once you've had a go - then look into places to study. AGE is not important.
you can get degrees AT drama school too, btw :fyi:

Latest