Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ERgh!!!!!!!!! it's too expensive buying weights! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey i'm in a dilemna. I'm trying to attain a descent and respectable shape but this isn't attainable due to the weight of my dumbells. The problem ares are legs and chest. I attempted lunges, but after a couple of weeks they were way too light. and i tried dumbell flys and presses but they were too easy also. I'm inquiring to the fact whether there is an excercise which will require less weight? In other words, an excercise where i can easily use low weights but still gain a rigorous workout

ReputationRep:
    Go to a gym?

ReputationRep:
    oh no no no no no, i#m on a budget, plus i like the comfort of my own home.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to become an F1 driver

my lack of a car prevents this.

muscle doesn't build itself

if you can't afford the weights (the cheap part) I doubt you can afford the food.

find another hobby x
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Adonis)
    I would love to become an F1 driver

my lack of a car prevents this.
    I think it's the team that supplies the car rather than the driver. Might be wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I think it's the team that supplies the car rather than the driver. Might be wrong though.
    OP - find a sponsor then

ReputationRep:
    Argos?

ReputationRep:
    lol.

get a bag, fill it with ****, then do overhead squats :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    A sack of potatoes

ReputationRep:
    get a backpack, fill it with heavy things (your dumbbells, bottles of water, tins of food etc) put it on your back and do weighted squats and/or lunges

ReputationRep:
    aren't f1 drivers meant to be fairly light with good muscle tone? you don't want to build to much unless you're rather skinny and undefined. im 19 but pretty short 5'8" i played rugby for 7 years and the training and weight sessions mean now i'm 14.5 stone, even though I fit the cars and drove well I never progressed in formula racing because i was too heavy and preferred rugby anyway. im too short to ever play professionally but its still something im passionate about, if you're determined you will find a way, is there a local sports centre some council ones charge as little as £2 a visit with a breeze card/young persons card and if you're older, uni's and colleges let the public use their gyms for very reasonable rates, some don't even charge subscription just a joining fee and every time you go, even better rates if you attend the college/uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    get a backpack, fill it with heavy things (your dumbbells, bottles of water, tins of food etc) put it on your back and do weighted squats and/or lunges
    hey! that's a good idea. In a while, i'm likely to buy weights. but what about the chest guys? oh oh! d'ya think 15kg is enough on a dumbell press?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanakataku7)
    hey! that's a good idea. In a while, i'm likely to buy weights. but what about the chest guys? oh oh! d'ya think 15kg is enough on a dumbell press?
    15 on each arm, maybe, depending on your strength. but even so you'll soon outgrow the weight.

ReputationRep:
    oh no no no no no, i#m on a budget, plus i like the comfort of my own home.
    Uni Gym?
    mines only like a tenner a month.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm......... too difficult to achieve at 14. I don't follow a strict regime, as my time management fluctuates, so gym's a no no. I hate spending money, especially on fitness. but i'll just go to argos!!!
    Anyone know how i can get large weights into my house without my parents noticing?? they won't like the bill on this one either?

ReputationRep:
    Well if you want to build lean muscle you need to nail your diet and eat quite a lot.

IMO Unless you join a gym or buy a weight bench/ some weights you're gonna struggle to add mass.

However you could buy a pull up bar and use this with a back pack full of weights in.

And you could do press ups, with your feet on a box or step to make it harder.

I'd do this, but just save up for a bench and weights as well.

ReputationRep:
    I hate spending money, especially on fitness.
    If you aren't willing to shell out a bit of money for the basics (simply buying extra plates for your dumbbells would help) what makes you think you've got the determination to acheive anything significant? Surely anyone who actually has some commitment to their goals is willing to spend a bit of money on them.

(This is coming from a guy who spends £35 a year for a totally awesome powerlifting gym)

ReputationRep:
    Lol...try gumtree too dude.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm......... too difficult to achieve at 14. I don't follow a strict regime, as my time management fluctuates, so gym's a no no. I hate spending money, especially on fitness. but i'll just go to argos!!!
    Anyone know how i can get large weights into my house without my parents noticing?? they won't like the bill on this one either?
    Unless you have parents that pay virtually no attention to you at all, i cant see how you can own free weights without your parents noticing.

All the people who have said go to the gym are right. You have a huge variety of weights and machines at your disposal. You just need to stop being so self concious and go for it.

ReputationRep:
    tanakataku7 is obviously a gypsy hoping to become one of those pesky lil' bare knuckled gypsy fighters but couldn't find any weights to steal from the house down the road.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.