Turn on thread page Beta

Recently I've been having some weird things happen during the night to me, whereby I will find myself jumping out of bed and running to the other side of the room, in complete panic and fear. Then after a few seconds I am fully awake and totally confused at why I just did it.

It has now happened 4 times, one time I found myself curled up on the floor next to the door, another time I took the duvet with me and hid underneath it, again next to the door, and the final time I had an incredible urge to unlock my door and run out of it, and I was just left leaning face first against it, heart pounding. The first one I remember randomly waving my arms around, trying to hit some kind of large flying spider that didn't exist.

The thing is though, I can remember the jumping out of bed bit, but I have no control over my actions until about 5 seconds later.

Someone said these might be 'night terrors', but apparently you don't remember those and they go on for much longer. I'd like to know if anyone has any clue what could be causing this. I'm starting to worry that I'll hurt myself accidentally.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    See a mental health professional.

ReputationRep:
    omg paranormal activity wasn't just a film

OH MY GOD KATIES AFTER YOU, STAY AWAY FROM ME

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Recently I've been having some weird things happen during the night to me, whereby I will find myself jumping out of bed and running to the other side of the room, in complete panic and fear. Then after a few seconds I am fully awake and totally confused at why I just did it.

It has now happened 4 times, one time I found myself curled up on the floor next to the door, another time I took the duvet with me and hid underneath it, again next to the door, and the final time I had an incredible urge to unlock my door and run out of it, and I was just left leaning face first against it, heart pounding. The first one I remember randomly waving my arms around, trying to hit some kind of large flying spider that didn't exist.

The thing is though, I can remember the jumping out of bed bit, but I have no control over my actions until about 5 seconds later.

Someone said these might be 'night terrors', but apparently you don't remember those and they go on for much longer. I'd like to know if anyone has any clue what could be causing this. I'm starting to worry that I'll hurt myself accidentally.
    Get a boyfriend/girlfriend to handcuff you to your bed
    win/win situation

ReputationRep:
    You scare me...

ReputationRep:

They may be night terrors. I do weird things in my sleep also. One night I woke up and I was sat up looking at my table which had my glass of water on it (yeah I know it isn't scary, but weird). I also tend to wave my arms around (though rarely, and I talk ALOT in my sleep, I hope my flatmates can't hear me, I'm at uni'), one time (just night actually) I was dreaming that I was in a lecture at uni' (I do maths) and I woke up as I was talking and I was explaining stuff etc).

I thought that a chemical was released during sleep to stop you from moving, so why does this happen?

(Original post by channy)
    You scare me...
    Yes well that's kind of the problem. I mean, nightmares are one thing, but this seems to be me partially awaking from a nightmare, my motor functions being restored and as such the body is acting out the nightmare, and then awakening itself in the process. It's not like every night, it's happened over the last month.

ReputationRep:
    Yes well that's kind of the problem. I mean, nightmares are one thing, but this seems to be me partially awaking from a nightmare, my motor functions being restored and as such the body is acting out the nightmare, and then awakening itself in the process. It's not like every night, it's happened over the last month.
    Yeah go see a doctor or therapist. I have one experience similar to this - where I was dreaming I was lying down on the floor and I felt someone poke me from underground...like a zombie?! I screamed and jumped out of bed.
    Woke the house up :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    There's probably something stressing you. I used to have this a fair bit. To the point where I'd kind of conciously accepted i was going to die.

It just stops after a while, I think, though trying to rationalise while it's happening helps end it quicker.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe your afraid of the dark?

(Original post by Alex M2)
    There's probably something stressing you. I used to have this a fair bit. To the point where I'd kind of conciously accepted i was going to die.

It just stops after a while, I think, though trying to rationalise while it's happening helps end it quicker.
    Well life in general stresses me, but lately I've been a little on edge I suppose. I've also been eating late night snacks too, and apparently this might not be helping things from what I'm reading around the internet.

I was reading some things on a forum for night terror sufferers, and many of them are describing similar things to what I've experienced. I do feel sorry for people who get this every night. Some people even scream and shout; my flatmates wouldn't be too happy if I did that I'm sure :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well life in general stresses me, but lately I've been a little on edge I suppose. I've also been eating late night snacks too, and apparently this might not be helping things from what I'm reading around the internet.

I was reading some things on a forum for night terror sufferers, and many of them are describing similar things to what I've experienced. I do feel sorry for people who get this every night. Some people even scream and shout; my flatmates wouldn't be too happy if I did that I'm sure :p:
    I midnight snack all the time :P

That feeling is really horrid.

Try keeping a teddy bear or something!

(Original post by mathperson)
    They may be night terrors. I do weird things in my sleep also. One night I woke up and I was sat up looking at my table which had my glass of water on it (yeah I know it isn't scary, but weird). I also tend to wave my arms around (though rarely, and I talk ALOT in my sleep, I hope my flatmates can't hear me, I'm at uni'), one time (just night actually) I was dreaming that I was in a lecture at uni' (I do maths) and I woke up as I was talking and I was explaining stuff etc).

I thought that a chemical was released during sleep to stop you from moving, so why does this happen?
    Exactly what i thought.

THe part of your brain that paralyses you during sleep sometimes miss fires. Hence why some people move alot during sleep, and some people get sleep paralysis - where they wake up but are still paralysed for some time.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.