Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am considering living in the french-speaking part of Canada as I want to go somewhere in my gap year and want to learn a language. I know that the French used in Canada and the French used in France have inevitablty grown apart. However I know that it would be easier living in a place where I would HAVE to speak the language all the time, although i'd like to be able to speak the "origianal" French too, because I'd use it more i think.

But what I want to know is does it differ a lot? vis-a-vis would it be easy to pick up the "original" French (if I decided to have French lessons once I got back) or would it end confusing me?

ReputationRep:
    You may well pick up a few bad habits from learning Canadian French, but it's going to be little more than that. You'll certainly be readily understood by a speaker of Continental French - although apparently Quebec does have its own pockets of bizarre "we be drinkin' zoider" type areas where the dialect is very strong indeed.

If you want absolute linguistic refinement, then maybe it's not the best idea. If, however, you just want to learn to speak French - or intend to go on and study/learn the language more formally in the future - then by all means go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nice Karma Jobs)
    However I know that it would be easier living in a place where I would HAVE to speak the language all the time, although i'd like to be able to speak the "origianal" French too, because I'd use it more i think.
    They may chat back to you in English in Montreal if they think you're a foreigner, but in Quebec City you should get decent conversation in French.

ReputationRep:
    We are currently conducting a survey on Quebec tourism and seek the opinions of travellers from other countries.

To that end, we would like to get in touch with people from the United Kingdom who are planning a first trip to Quebec this summer. For your participation in the survey, we will give you £125 in cash. A great way to start your vacation off with a little extra spending money!

You are eligible to participate if you:

Are not vacationing in Quebec at the time you receive this communication;
    Will be vacationing in Quebec for at least 7 consecutive days in July or August 2010;
    Are planning your first-ever visit to Quebec; and
    Will be travelling as a couple, with friends or family; as part of an organized group or independently.

Interested? For details on how to participate, email us now at [email protected], and be sure to write “Quebec tourism survey participation (UK)” in the subject line.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.