Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok. Before i start, this isn't another one of those Islam vs the rest of the world threads.

I was just watching some 24 and it occured to me that in a lot of the media, terrorism is associated with Islam. You often see Islamic terrorists in films and TV, 24 showed suicide bombers praying before heading out and bombers shouting ALLAH!!! before detonating themselves. And theres the whole islamic terror theme in some games like COD.

So what do you Muslims (and everyone else for that matter) think of the situation? Are you offended? Does it not bother you? Should you be offended?

ReputationRep:
    well it is the muslim world generally that does the suicide bombers

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter if people are 'offended' (the most over used word these days). Alot of the terrorism that has happened recently has been muslims, fact.

A guy negged me saying he was 'offended' by my sig'. He said that it 'insults his religion', why? What I have in my sig' is just what a muslim said and quotes from the quran ???

ReputationRep:
    As a Muslim, it doesn't really bother me anymore considering I'm just used to it now. You could say I've been desensitised as its something you just expect out of the Western media now.

ReputationRep:
    It's usually just cheap shots anyway.

ReputationRep:
    All fair points. But a TV show like 24 (i only pick it as it is what im watching at the moment) is immensely popular and would centre an entire season's plot around islamic extreemists. Its hardly "the occasional cheap shot"

ReputationRep:
    When you consider that just 0.4% of terrorist attacks in modern-day Europe are by Muslims, and 4% in America, you can't help but question why the media focusses on Muslim terrorists so much.

Though to balance the thought, recent "Islamic" terrorist attacks such as 9/11 were quite bad compared to those from other groups in recent years, and from then any attacks which come from the same Al-Qaeda - affiliated group just gather momentum behind the "all terrorists are Muslim" thought.

Oh and a source for the stats:
    http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/01/ter...(loonwatch.com)

ReputationRep:
    It's just the new fad

Used to be German Nazis
    then Russian Communists
    now its Islamic terrorists

Tomorrow, it will be something/someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    Ok. Before i start, this isn't another one of those Islam vs the rest of the world threads.

I was just watching some 24 and it occured to me that in a lot of the media, terrorism is associated with Islam. You often see Islamic terrorists in films and TV, 24 showed suicide bombers praying before heading out and bombers shouting ALLAH!!! before detonating themselves. And theres the whole islamic terror theme in some games like COD.

So what do you Muslims (and everyone else for that matter) think of the situation? Are you offended? Does it not bother you? Should you be offended?
    Na, it doesnt bother me at all. There extremist, even though they give us a bad picture maybe its what God wants. To test us properly? What could be a bigger test then that?

Otherwise i seriously think terriost (if any) involved in London bombings etc are told r3tards. However most of the time its just blamed on us, even though we got nothing to do with it.

That terriost image is like tagged onto Asians. Its annoying how you still get people racist around UK. Its like saying every white man is perfect? Watch Crimewatch and tell me iam wrong. Ive got nothing against white people, there great. I learn to accept and forget those who live in hate and denyal.

(excuse the spelling )

ReputationRep:
    People fear terrorism, as they should, and so they look for scape goats.

Every generation has a bunch of fanatics and the country/religion of the fanatics gets persecuted by the media. People are scared so they look for someone to blame, the media gives them this and profits of it.

It's also seen as 'hard' nowadays to go against this political correctness tripe we have going on.

jmo

ReputationRep:
    I don't care! Lol my teacher comes and calls me a suicide bomber as a joke, i take it as a joke really. I like to think of my self rather then others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)

do not confuse suicide bombers with Islam, or any religion for that matter... Suicide bombers and extremists are demented individuals who think they are following a religion - its entirely inaccurate to associate the two

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers)
    do not confuse suicide bombers with Islam, or any religion for that matter... Suicide bombers and extremists are demented individuals who think they are following a religion - its entirely inaccurate to associate the two
    Oh i know that and i agree. Its just that the truth and what is displayed in the media are two very different things.

ReputationRep:
    if i bomb someone, i cant really be offended by people calling me a bomber

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers)
    Yes but they are spreading their word within mosques, so it is also up to a religion to resist these people from using their religion in such a way, we don't see enough in the media about mosques banning these guys or condemning their ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desi_jatt)
    Yes but they are spreading their word within mosques, so it is also up to a religion to resist these people from using their religion in such a way, we don't see enough in the media about mosques banning these guys or condemning their ways.
    well why should mosques and followers of Islam have to apologise for/condemnn extremists when extremists have nothing to do with their religion...

ReputationRep:
    Orientalism and Huntingdon's 'Clash of Civilisations' theory has really taken hold in the media since 2001. That is why Muslims are portrayed so negatively in the press - they are boxed off from Western civilisation and considered different and incompatible, with a fundamental and irrational hatred of the West. Bernard Lewis, Samuel Huntingdon and others have perpetuated this view, but they are considered a minority view among academics.

However, their ideas are easy to digest for the media and the public at large, and much more easy to understand than the real reasons for Arab/Muslim dislike of the West (and less politically explosive), and now a majority of people seem to distrust Muslims and consider them a danger to society. It really is quite disgusting, and I'm not even a Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    It's just the new fad

Used to be German Nazis
    then Russian Communists
    now its Islamic terrorists

Tomorrow, it will be something/someone else.

i agrreee

ReputationRep:
    I don't care if people are offended. Supply and demand....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard)
    Orientalism and Huntingdon's 'Clash of Civilisations' theory has really taken hold in the media since 2001. That is why Muslims are portrayed so negatively in the press - they are boxed off from Western civilisation and considered different and incompatible, with a fundamental and irrational hatred of the West. Bernard Lewis, Samuel Huntingdon and others have perpetuated this view, but they are considered a minority view among academics.

However, their ideas are easy to digest for the media and the public at large, and much more easy to understand than the real reasons for Arab/Muslim dislike of the West (and less politically explosive), and now a majority of people seem to distrust Muslims and consider them a danger to society. It really is quite disgusting, and I'm not even a Muslim.
    :ditto:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.