Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard)
    Orientalism and Huntingdon's 'Clash of Civilisations' theory has really taken hold in the media since 2001. That is why Muslims are portrayed so negatively in the press - they are boxed off from Western civilisation and considered different and incompatible, with a fundamental and irrational hatred of the West. Bernard Lewis, Samuel Huntingdon and others have perpetuated this view, but they are considered a minority view among academics.

However, their ideas are easy to digest for the media and the public at large, and much more easy to understand than the real reasons for Arab/Muslim dislike of the West (and less politically explosive), and now a majority of people seem to distrust Muslims and consider them a danger to society. It really is quite disgusting, and I'm not even a Muslim.
    Which is what, do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    Which is what, do you think?
    Israel, however unfortunate that may be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casse)
    As a Muslim, it doesn't really bother me anymore considering I'm just used to it now. You could say I've been desensitised as its something you just expect out of the Western media now.

Right there with you bro.

ReputationRep:
    Suicide bombers on TV are Muslim? My golly God, never would've expected that.

Anyway, yeah yeah, the West are persecuting all Muslims again. Be offended.

ReputationRep:
    Should Christians be offended be that Bible show that channel 4 are showing tonight? With Anne W?

There should be UPROAR I say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Should Christians be offended be that Bible show that channel 4 are showing tonight? With Anne W?

There should be UPROAR I say.
    What program is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    What program is this?
    Something about whether the 10 Commandments are relevant to contemporary society. Blasphemous, if you ask me. Let's go burn down some embassies!

In all seriousness though, I don't get why you're 'offended'. Suicide bombing is an Islamic thing - or, at least, they're done by 'Muslims' - which is why suicide bombers on TV are Muslims, funnily enough. And so on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Something about whether the 10 Commandments are relevant to contemporary society. Blasphemous, if you ask me. Let's go burn down some embassies!

In all seriousness though, I don't get why you're 'offended'. Suicide bombing is an Islamic thing - or, at least, they're done by 'Muslims' - which is why suicide bombers on TV are Muslims, funnily enough. And so on...
    Oh do try to read the original post before contributing please.

Im not offended. I just wanted to see what the muslims on TSR thought about the way their religion is constantly linked to terrorism in the media.

ReputationRep:
    Oh do try to read the original post before contributing please.

Im not offended. I just wanted to see what the muslims on TSR thought about the way their religion is constantly linked to terrorism in the media.
    I used 'you' plurally. Didn't specifically mean you, and you alone.

I, in fact, believe that TV producers are often afraid to show anything that could even remotely offend Muslims. We all know what happens when 'you lot' get 'offended'. :rolleyes:

I'd go as far as saying that Islam is shown in a thoroughly (and undeserving) positive light on TV. My local news station (Midlands) was once dedicated to raising funds for a recently burnt down mosque, par exemple.

ReputationRep:
    Ok. Before i start, this isn't another one of those Islam vs the rest of the world threads.

I was just watching some 24 and it occured to me that in a lot of the media, terrorism is associated with Islam. You often see Islamic terrorists in films and TV, 24 showed suicide bombers praying before heading out and bombers shouting ALLAH!!! before detonating themselves. And theres the whole islamic terror theme in some games like COD.

So what do you Muslims (and everyone else for that matter) think of the situation? Are you offended? Does it not bother you? Should you be offended?
    I am sorry but islam has nothing to do with the so called terrorism(anything which is outside the jurisdiction of islam ,has nothing to do with us) , no where in the quran does it state kenji ritual or as such, not really doesnt bother me in the least.I lol at such scenes :rolleyes: .Last time i watched 24 back in saudi , nobody got offended hmm .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atieah2009)
    I don't care! Lol my teacher comes and calls me a suicide bomber as a joke, i take it as a joke really. I like to think of my self rather then others
    The barber called me Taliban once. Beat that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoob1)
    The barber called me Taliban once. Beat that
    LOL:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ('',))
    People fear terrorism, as they should, and so they look for scape goats.

Every generation has a bunch of fanatics and the country/religion of the fanatics gets persecuted by the media. People are scared so they look for someone to blame, the media gives them this and profits of it.

It's also seen as 'hard' nowadays to go against this political correctness tripe we have going on.

jmo
    This, say no more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    I am sorry but islam has nothing to do with the so called terrorism(anything which is outside the jurisdiction of islam ,has nothing to do with us) , no where in the quran does it state kenji ritual or as such, not really doesnt bother me in the least.I lol at such scenes :rolleyes: .Last time i watched 24 back in saudi , nobody got offended hmm .
    Oh yeah i know that and i agree. Its just that TV shows, films and games often show that association pretty heavily.

ReputationRep:
    So, are people denying that Islamic terrorism is a problem (or a threat)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    No, we're just saying you're either a very good troll, or clueless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard)
    No, we're just saying you're either a very good troll, or clueless.
    A troll? :confused:

Hardly.

ReputationRep:
    It's expected, this isn't a new phenomena, Muslims especially Arabs have been vilified in Hollywood for decades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    To anyone with the least arabic knowledge the word islamic or anything related to the root word salam,and terrorism doesnt sum up :rolleyes: , guess why?
    Its a paradox to say that LOL...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    To anyone with the least arabic knowledge the word islamic or anything related to the root word salam,and terrorism doesnt sum up :rolleyes: , guess why?
    Its a paradox to say that LOL...
    Let me guess, because it means 'peace'? It also means 'submission'. Take your pick.

How oxymoronic. Islam is completely peaceful, and has never provoked violence :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.