Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am wondering about GAMSAT.

I have read in other threads that A level Chemistry did not really help with GAMSAT, what is the consensus on this?

Because I am wondering whether or not to take Chemistry A level and maybe Biology part time or via distance learning. People who have sat GAMSAT, is there a better way to prepare than possibly wasting my time doing these A levels? Are there any books you can recommend me so that I can get to the level needed to sit the test (bearing in mind I don't have chem, bio or physics at A level!)

It is VERY hard to get a DL course in chem, so to be honest I would rather not take it if I don't have to. I don't mind doing all the extra study I need to do for GAMSAT but I guess I just want to know what sort of things I should cover. Is there a GAMSAT specification anywhere or something similar (saying more than the words "the content of A level chem and bio" )???

As ever, all advice welcome

ReputationRep:
    not sure about GAMSAT content but i do know that the only distance learing chem Alevel course is here and it is stupidly expensive. you can do the whole Alevel in a year and that will cost £2495 that price does not include exam fees, plus you have to travel to london 4 times in the year to take your exams and do your course work (so your looking at another £1000 for travel and accomidation). so i think you will agree it is pretty expensive.
    your better of seeing if any where in the area does chem Alevel evening classes (that is about £1000 for the whole alevel - depending on the school- but it includes exam fees).

also bare in mind that for some schools you can take GAMSAT in place of science alevels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    not sure about GAMSAT content but i do know that the only distance learing chem Alevel course is here and it is stupidly expensive. you can do the whole Alevel in a year and that will cost £2495 that price does not include exam fees, plus you have to travel to london 4 times in the year to take your exams and do your course work (so your looking at another £1000 for travel and accomidation). so i think you will agree it is pretty expensive.
    your better of seeing if any where in the area does chem Alevel evening classes (that is about £1000 for the whole alevel - depending on the school- but it includes exam fees).

also bare in mind that for some schools you can take GAMSAT in place of science alevels.
    Yeah I have so far spent 3 days trawling the internet for part time or distance chem courses, I found that one on bright futures and I couldn't believe the price!!

The chemistry a level idea was to help me prepare for the GAMSAT, because there are plenty of places where I don't need the a level but I need a good GAMSAT score so was wondering if chem a level was a waste of time just to prepare for that test and use it for nothing else? Or is there just some a level books I can read that will help me prepare rather than having all the hassle of the actual chem a level course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaNzY)
    Yeah I have so far spent 3 days trawling the internet for part time or distance chem courses, I found that one on bright futures and I couldn't believe the price!!

The chemistry a level idea was to help me prepare for the GAMSAT, because there are plenty of places where I don't need the a level but I need a good GAMSAT score so was wondering if chem a level was a waste of time just to prepare for that test and use it for nothing else? Or is there just some a level books I can read that will help me prepare rather than having all the hassle of the actual chem a level course?
    i have heard alot of people say they looked over the Alevel chem in a week books. also GMSAT do have practice papers/prep material, here but to be honest i think it is very much like the ukcat were there are some sections you can practice for timing and stuff but generally it is about your atribute.

ReputationRep:
    You need to know A level chemistry stuff, but you don't need to do an A level in it (if that makes sense?). For GAMSAT revision I went through the Letts AS and A2 chemistry revision books. Have you seen Griffith's GAMSAT guide? That was probably the most useful thing I have ever bought, worth every penny and then some!

If you want any more GAMSAT advice then I'm happy to help (but not today - I have exams tomorrow and Tuesday so I need to revise).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dances_with_lamposts)
    You need to know A level chemistry stuff, but you don't need to do an A level in it (if that makes sense?). For GAMSAT revision I went through the Letts AS and A2 chemistry revision books. Have you seen Griffith's GAMSAT guide? That was probably the most useful thing I have ever bought, worth every penny and then some!

If you want any more GAMSAT advice then I'm happy to help (but not today - I have exams tomorrow and Tuesday so I need to revise).

I can't find that griffiths guide on amazon. Where can I get it from? Because if it tells me I need to learn a lot of stuff, I would rather start learning it early so as it doesn't impede on my degree lol I have about 2 years to get as brilliant as I can for all of this, i.e. getting loads of work experience etc and preparing for GAMSAT and UKCAT and then nearer the time, prepping for interviews, so I definitely don't want to waste any time

Do you just need to know A level chemistry or do you need to know biology and physics too to A level? And is it just to A level or do you need to know 1st year university stuff as well (like GAMSAT say on their site)??

Yeah lol, don't worry, I'm not doing this GAMSAT for ages yet, I just wanted to ask all these things now instead of leaving it until the last minute and being completely screwed haha.

ReputationRep:
    griffiths GAMSAT: it's an ebook.

all the revision guides will give you a good idea of what you need to know for all sections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dances_with_lamposts)

did you know your GAMSAT results before you applied through ucas?

just coz with ukcats you know your results before you apply so you can choose your unis in relation to the results, can you do that with GAMSAT?

ReputationRep:
    Griffiths GAMSAT was def a lifesaver for me. It was amazing. I got the CGP Physics books to go through, because I didn't take physics past yr 9. The thing I found with the GAMSAT for the science was that most of the information you need is in the question anyway. If you know the material then it should save you time reading, but in truth, who's not going to fully read the question before answering anyway? Also, if in doubt the answer is always C Griffiths contains a list of topics to revise, which is useful.
    You don't find out the GAMSAT results until after you've applied, and then the Universities will look at the spread of the GAMSAT results for the applicants they have that year and set the cutoff based on how many they want to interview. This year SGUL and Notts was 60 and PMS was 64. Don't know about the rest I'm afraid. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have the ebook for griffiths?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.