Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Being Judged on appearance at Interview... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well basically I'm overweight, and I have an interview of medicine at kings and I feel for lack of a better word guilty that I have applied for a course that means i have dedicated my life to making people healthy but how can i do that when i cant even keep my own body in tact?

And I'm convinced this is what my interviewers are going to think the minute they see me.

I'm not asking for comfort, Im asking for straight up facts on whether my physical (not clothes and that because I will be smartly dressed for the interview) appearance make a difference on whether i get in or not.

Thanks
    James

ReputationRep:
    the simplified answer is yes, it is human nature to make judgements. yet in an interview environment for a university place, I think your academic ability and personal characteristics are looked at in more detail. dress smartly and good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimcatinnes)
    Well basically I'm overweight, and I have an interview of medicine at kings and I feel for lack of a better word guilty that I have applied for a course that means i have dedicated my life to making people healthy but how can i do that when i cant even keep my own body in tact?

And I'm convinced this is what my interviewers are going to think the minute they see me.

I'm not asking for comfort, Im asking for straight up facts on whether my physical (not clothes and that because I will be smartly dressed for the interview) appearance make a difference on whether i get in or not.

Thanks
    James
    if they do judge your for your weight then it is not a school you want to go to.
    1 in every 3 people are overweight. so realistically you will not be the only overweigh person there. aslo they are untimatly looking for someone who would be a good student and a potential good doctor, neither of thoes thiings are determined by weight.

plus about 50% of the doctor i know are clinically over weight.

youll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst everyone judges on appearances, I know that I personally don't judge people on their weight, and I would imagine that a well educated university professor would share this attitude

ReputationRep:
    You should definitely dress smart for the interview. But personally, judging on the weight>> i don't think they will. And they shouldn't. So don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    except when getting thru doors, macca, ahhh? (me=tubmeister)

on dressing - avoid black, macca, it widens the shoulders.

but theres nuffing wrong wif a bit of chubb, tek it from me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)

Black is the most slimming colour there is.

OP, it doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimcatinnes)

Thanks
    James
    This guy who plays for my cricket team is the fattest, most unfit, laziest ****, yet he's apparently a cardio surgeon after graduating from QMUL

ReputationRep:
    OP, imo your overweight is not really an undeniable proof that you're not good enough to study medicine, so I think you will be fine. Just try to be confident

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I have interviewed people for jobs I think that I have always formed a judgment of them as soon as they walk through the door and that has probably set the tone for the rest of the interview. I think that is only human nature. A poor first impression has always stuck in my mind even if the rest of the interview goes quite well.

What I would add is that I don't think it's about being overweight but about how you present yourself that makes that impression. The worse thing you could do would be to dwell on the fact that you feel self-conscious because of your weight because that would come across in how you present yourself and is likely to give a worse impression.

Just go into the interview confident and make sure you wear something which doesn't draw attention to your weight if you think it really is an issue - so make sure what you wear fits properly (i.e not too small but on the same hand not too baggy because that will just make you look sloppy) and make sure you smile and be friendly.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, this has made me feel a bit better and I probably wont keep having my usual daydreams when i walk in and they look up from their papers and shout next. lol (I know that would ever happen or at least i hope not lol)

Now I'm just going to be like Elliot from scrubs and I'm going to sneeze blood down them all. LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)

plus about 50% of the doctor i know are clinically over weight.
    :lolwut:
    thats mental

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)

Reading your moonspeak is such a chore that I just tend to skip your posts all together.

ReputationRep:
    What does macca mean! I'm stumped lol

ReputationRep:
    funny enough. In my manchester interview a couple of weeks back, they were asking about obesity and what healthcare professionals could do abt it. i said the doctors should lead the way and set a good example by not being obese. STUPID MISTAKE, considering one of the interviewers had a HUGE tummy.

No offense to the OP though.

ReputationRep:
    funny enough. In my manchester interview a couple of weeks back, they were asking about obesity and what healthcare professionals could do abt it. i said the doctors should lead the way and set a good example by not being obese. STUPID MISTAKE, considering one of the interviewers had a HUGE tummy.

No offense to the OP though.

ReputationRep:
    Whats your weight?

ReputationRep:
    Lol yh some doctors are overweight but it's not like they entered med school like that. XD although quite a few people are overweight it really depends how big you are. Being a bit chubby won't make a diff at interview.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it. Many doctors are overweight, drink excessively, smoke etc Being well informed about the risks dose not automatically transfers to avoiding unhealthy behavior.

Interestingly leading by example may not be that effective anyway. Some studies showed that obese patients are more opened to health promotion advice from overweight doctors as they can identify with them better.

ReputationRep:
    I'm overweight (almost obese) - theys shouldn't judge you on it to be honest. I've never really been judged on it. And most of the doctors I know are overweight. So it shouldn't be a problem.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.