Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    my friends cousin applied for medcine but they said to er she was too overweight to do it as how could she be responsible for others health when she can't look after her own

ReputationRep:
    If you go in there expecting it to be an issue then it probably will be. If you walk into the interview room confidently, like it isn't even on your mind, then it's much less likely to cross the interview panels minds either.

If you are really worried about it, just prepare an answer in case they ask you about setting an example (although I very very very much doubt they will) - for example if you're overweight yourself, you're going to be able to be more empathetic towards patients you need to encourage to lose weight and they'll feel like you're more able to relate to their struggles. If it makes you feel better, i'm overweight and I work in an eating disorders unit, and not once has my weight been an issue for my patients - in a way I think they find it easier to trust you if you're more human and less perfect. I've also had 2 interviews so far, with one coming up and I'm fairly certain my weight has barely even been noticed by the people interviewing me.
    Basically, from my experience, your weight is only going to be an issue for other people if you let it be an issue for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aislinn=])
    my friends cousin applied for medcine but they said to er she was too overweight to do it as how could she be responsible for others health when she can't look after her own
    :eek:
    Where was that?!
    (Original post by icantthinkofacoolusername)
    If you go in there expecting it to be an issue then it probably will be. If you walk into the interview room confidently, like it isn't even on your mind, then it's much less likely to cross the interview panels minds either.

If you are really worried about it, just prepare an answer in case they ask you about setting an example (although I very very very much doubt they will) - for example if you're overweight yourself, you're going to be able to be more empathetic towards patients you need to encourage to lose weight and they'll feel like you're more able to relate to their struggles. If it makes you feel better, i'm overweight and I work in an eating disorders unit, and not once has my weight been an issue for my patients - in a way I think they find it easier to trust you if you're more human and less perfect. I've also had 2 interviews so far, with one coming up and I'm fairly certain my weight has barely even been noticed by the people interviewing me.
    Basically, from my experience, your weight is only going to be an issue for other people if you let it be an issue for yourself.
    :yep: Very good answer, and very true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chernij)
    :eek:
    Where was that?!

:yep: Very good answer, and very true!
    I agree with your agreeing lool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimcatinnes)
    I agree with your agreeing lool
    Lol - I agree with your agreeing of my agreeing with icantthinkofacoolusername's post.

ReputationRep:
    it depends how overweight. if you are massively overweight to the point where it's the first thing you notice then yeah, if you're just kind of normal overweight then nah they shouldn't care. and it depends if your male or female (can't be bothered to scroll up again to check), hate to say it but if your female you'll have a higher chance of being judged for it because it's simply more noticeable on a female than a male. my sister studied medicine at Kings, it's a really good place. They shouldn't judge you for it.

ReputationRep:
    Well basically I'm overweight, and I have an interview of medicine at kings and I feel for lack of a better word guilty that I have applied for a course that means i have dedicated my life to making people healthy but how can i do that when i cant even keep my own body in tact?

And I'm convinced this is what my interviewers are going to think the minute they see me.

I'm not asking for comfort, Im asking for straight up facts on whether my physical (not clothes and that because I will be smartly dressed for the interview) appearance make a difference on whether i get in or not.

Thanks
    James
    not if you are just overweight
    if you are US style obese, you may need to think about working on that. not just for the interveiw, either. it isnt healthy, amongst other things.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I shouldn't worry too much, quite a few doctors I know are overwight, as are many of the nurses that I know. Obviously it would be a good idea to get to a healthy weight to improve your own health and set a good example.

ReputationRep:
    as long as you are not as wide as you are tall, with multiple folds that noticable flop around when you walk, which in itself is a penguin like waddle.....then you should be fine, if it is.....you're skrewed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    as long as you are not as wide as you are tall, with multiple folds that noticable flop around when you walk, which in itself is a penguin like waddle.....then you should be fine, if it is.....you're skrewed
    Lool, this made me lol, i believe I am well proportioned, I mean i have seen people like that and i know that I don't look like that. lol

ReputationRep:
    If it helps at one of the open days I went to for medicine there was a med-student there who took up 2 chairs, and would've taken up 3 comfortably.

ReputationRep:
    Put it this way. It won't help you.

But I doubt it will be a deciding factor, more like a factor that makes up the appearence factor.

ReputationRep:
    That's nothing. During a quiet period in one of my interviews I lit up a cigar while cutting a line of cocaine on top of Gray's Anatomy with the business card for Goldman Sachs.

A little bit of fat won't do you any harm.

ReputationRep:
    Well basically I'm overweight, and I have an interview of medicine at kings and I feel for lack of a better word guilty that I have applied for a course that means i have dedicated my life to making people healthy but how can i do that when i cant even keep my own body in tact?

And I'm convinced this is what my interviewers are going to think the minute they see me.

I'm not asking for comfort, Im asking for straight up facts on whether my physical (not clothes and that because I will be smartly dressed for the interview) appearance make a difference on whether i get in or not.

Thanks
    James
    I honestly don't think it would make any difference, I've been interviewed by overweight people and I'm bordering on overweight myself. The interviewers will care more about what you say and how your personality comes across than what you look like.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    And think about it. If you're a GP in a surgery, more likely than not, the table will hide your belly from the patient!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Thanks
    James

Of Course people judge other people in like the first 10 seconds of meeting them.

1) Wear a suit, that's fits correctly.

2) Ensure you are well groomed

A lots of people are overweight, if you don't make an issue of it others wont either and what you say is more important than how you look.
    So no it wont affect your chance of an offer.

Just out of interest when you say overweight, how fat are we talking?

Cos technically I'm technically overweight too, but i just look big not that fat.

ReputationRep:
    sorry to divert the topic but would the same apply to hairstyle or facial hair. For example must you be clean shaven with a short hair cut to give a good impression at these kind of interviews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazedmonkey09)
    sorry to divert the topic but would the same apply to hairstyle or facial hair. For example must you be clean shaven with a short hair cut to give a good impression at these kind of interviews?

I would say clean shaven yeah or at least tidy.

As for hair, I have long hair and my argument is: do you make all the women cut their hair short? No? then I'm not cutting mine. Im getting a haircut though just to tidy it up and make it a bit more manageable.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by crazedmonkey09)
    Well groomed, does not necessarily mean clean shaved and shorter hair.

ReputationRep:
    They say that most interview decisions are made within a few seconds of you entering the room. I'm not saying that if they don't fancy your appearance then you won't get in, it's just that the people they like straight away have a head start in some cases.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.