Turn on thread page Beta

Am I working this out correctly? Mathematical geniuses needed urgently! watch

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know where else to go, and thought there are probably some brains here that can help me see if I am correct!

im at a stage at uni where i need to work out what i need to get in my final year for a 2.1. (they were right in school, when they said you will needs maths no matter what, lol)

so here is the question

In order to achieve 2.1, you must finish with an aggregate score of 60.

my second year is worth 30%, my final year is worth 70%,

If I finished my second year with a total of 53, what mark do I need to achieve in my 4th, in order for me to achieve a total of 60 (2.1), when using the weighted averages above?

I have worked it out as needing 63 in 4th year to finish with an average of 60. :cool: Am I correct? :confused: If I am wrong can you tell me the correct answer?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Yeah, I get 63 too (provided you mean you got 53% and need 63% - if these marks are out of something other than 100, it's a different story).

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou v'much for the speedy reply, I shall add to your rep, but looking at how great it is already, it probably won't make a difference!

yeah the 53 I recieved is a % so it should be out of a hundred! (sorry, I should've put the %'s in for everything)

So to clarify, I recieved 53% in my second year, so I need 63% in my 4th year, to finish with an average of 60%?

if this is so, then im not in as bad position as i thought!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bongboy6969)
    Thankyou v'much for the speedy reply, I shall add to your rep, but looking at how great it is already, it probably won't make a difference!

yeah the 53 I recieved is a % so it should be out of a hundred! (sorry, I should've put the %'s in for everything)

So to clarify, I recieved 53% in my second year, so I need 63% in my 4th year, to finish with an average of 60%?

if this is so, then im not in as bad position as i thought!
    Yes, you need 63%. Does the distribution of marks matter at all, or is it simply the average?

At Edinburgh you can get 58% and as long as half of your credits are 2:i or better you'll still get a 2:i.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Bongboy6969)
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you need 63%. Does the distribution of marks matter at all, or is it simply the average?

At Edinburgh you can get 58% and as long as half of your credits are 2:i or better you'll still get a 2:i.
    thankyou very much also.

yes the rule about getting half of your credits over 2.1 level is known as profile marking. Unfortunatly at my Uni, I must get 80 credits (out of 120) over 2.1 to qualify for this.

This is obviosuly my easy option, but I also wanted to see what my worst case scenario was, thus wanted to work out the aggregate mark. (this is what it is called right? the aggregate mark? my guideline says they work out an aggregate mark of 2nd and 4th year, I assume this means the average?)

completely ****ing up my 2nd year hasn't implicated my final year as much as i thought it had!

yippee!! Hurray for the maths forum!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.