Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

changing for your partner watch

ReputationRep:
    this topic was kinda touched on in a different topic and i thought it would make for a good discussion

have you? would you? can be anything, weight, hair, style, diet anything

i slightly changed my diet for my bf (he doesnt eat meat but eats fish) so i dont eat as much meat as i used to, wasnt intentional tbh just sort of happened

things i wouldnt change for a partner

weight
    my look (style)
    the fact im a tom boy
    getting tattoos
    my mind on having a baby (i dont want one)
    hair colour

if he asked me to change those things he would get a swift **** off from me

ReputationRep:
    Been under the thumb to my gf for 2 years, i put my foot down now and then when she gets too controlling eg. starts telling me how to spend or not to spend money i dont have etc.

I would change that about her and change it so shes under my thumb instead hehe :P

nah but on a serious note i love her and thats the only thing id change about her (dont tell her i said that though she'll rip my head off :P)

oh shoot answered the thread wrong haha! would i change anything about myself for her.. erm... maybe if the reason was valid enough but i concider myself perfect for her atm

things i wouldnt change for my partner

weight
    getting tattoos
    my mind on having a baby (dont want one either0
    i like my hair now (dyed it red couple years ago, worst decision of my life lol) +i like it spikey
    the fact im a boy lol

things i would change

my style can suck at time (im a student what u expect with no money)
    my car cus it also sucks lol
    erm... my bedsheets

ReputationRep:
    My socks.

ReputationRep:
    So, you'll change nothing for your boyf?
    Relationships are about compromise, and I think inevitably people will change in small ways for their partners. I definitely changed for my ex, wasn't really a good thing though.
    Anyway, if I had a boyf who... I dunno, liked certain things more about me, I'd probably make them more prominent. And I probably wouldn't actively do something he didn't like.

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    So, you'll change nothing for your boyf?
    Relationships are about compromise, and I think inevitably people will change in small ways for their partners. I definitely changed for my ex, wasn't really a good thing though.
    Anyway, if I had a boyf who... I dunno, liked certain things more about me, I'd probably make them more prominent. And I probably wouldn't actively do something he didn't like.

:dontknow:

where did i say i wouldnt change anything?

ReputationRep:
    I had to stop getting with other girls for my girlfriend (N)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    where did i say i wouldnt change anything?
    Things you won't change;

weight
    my look (style)
    the fact im a tom boy
    getting tattoos
    my mind on having a baby (i dont want one)
    hair colour

Doesn't leave much scope for change does it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Things you won't change;

Doesn't leave much scope for change does it?

there are plenty of things than those you know

ReputationRep:
    lol nowbor, kind of commen sence that though surely... unless shes butt ugly or god awefull in certain areas... if so i feel sorry for you

ReputationRep:
    I'd lose weight if I thought he'd fancy me more, but never put more on if he wanted me to be more curvy. If there was something he particularly liked that I secretly wouldn't mind either, I'd probably be persuaded to do that too. I can't think of any other massively major things to change though.

I wouldn't change anything I didn't want to though.

ReputationRep:
    Wait, I thought you broke up?

or is this a new man?

ReputationRep:
    Hard to say really. I didn't smoke or drink around my ex which wasn't so bad, but because she disliked it for personal family issues I felt like a ***** every time I wanted to, or the subject came up, so that wasn't fun at all, and kind of made the change necessary I suppose.

Err....if it was just about their own personal preferences then it'd really depend. Hair for example, if they had a better idea and I really liked it, then fine I'd give it a go, but if all these changes are whiny sort of 'I liked you better how you were' sort of stuff, then that'd annoy me a bit, I might not change then.

Style I wouldn't change at all, it really matters to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    Wait, I thought you broke up?

or is this a new man?

we got back together

ReputationRep:
    If he said that he prefered my hair straight or wavey then I might wear it like that a bit more often because I have no preference but if he asked me to change something that I didn't want to such as hair colour, weight, interests then no.

ReputationRep:
    My gfs always telling me she liked me better when we first met. Its always fricking raining or snowing now. I'd change the weather

ReputationRep:
    i'd change somethings and not others, depending on what/where/when/how. nevertheless, i'd listen to her opinion.

ReputationRep:
    If I needed to I'd alter the following...

• Weight - I'm a size 8/10 now, but if I put on so much weight that my dress size increased; and my boyfriend mentioned it, I'd wake up, smell the coffee and lose the extra weight. To be honest, I have such a small/slight frame, that if I put on weight; I'd look awful. But that's my personal opinion.
    • Style - I dress in jeans/hoodies a lot for uni, but floral skirts, tops etc during the summer. I go out largely in black. If my guy had a problem with the way I dressed I'd value his input on how to improve.
    • Diet - I've recently become vegetarian, but I don't eat enough calorie wise. I know that I'm suffering from anaemia and sligh malnutrition as my body adapts to not eating meat. If my guy wanted me to eat more/adopt a more balanced diet; I'd appreciate the help again, because however much I try, I can never seem to get it right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFsuck)
    Been under the thumb to my gf for 2 years, i put my foot down now and then when she gets too controlling eg. starts telling me how to spend or not to spend money i dont have etc.

I would change that about her and change it so shes under my thumb instead hehe :P

nah but on a serious note i love her and thats the only thing id change about her (dont tell her i said that though she'll rip my head off :P)

oh shoot answered the thread wrong haha! would i change anything about myself for her.. erm... maybe if the reason was valid enough but i concider myself perfect for her atm

things i wouldnt change for my partner

weight
    getting tattoos
    my mind on having a baby (dont want one either0
    i like my hair now (dyed it red couple years ago, worst decision of my life lol) +i like it spikey
    the fact im a boy lol

things i would change

my style can suck at time (im a student what u expect with no money)
    my car cus it also sucks lol
    erm... my bedsheets
    no offence mate but are you that naive to put up with someone telling you what to do and being under their thumb just because you "love" them... thats bs, mother father, brother sister, maybe because you cant change them but tbh a gf, you can always get another one, sounds like im a bit of a d*** but honestly i would rather be dead than be in a relationship where im under thumb... im sure you could find a girl where youre screwing her, rather then her screwin you

ReputationRep:
    I really value my bf's opinion so I'd like to hear what he thinks of me and the things he'd like me to change but I'd never go for any changes I didn't approve of myself or things that aren't essentially good for me. However I think everyone changes when in a healthy relationship, me and bf after 5 years are far more compatible than when we met and we didn't even notice the changes as they were happening...

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I could change for a partner TBH, I'm far too stubborn and set in my ways. But then, I wouldn't want or expect a partner to change for me either.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
    Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.