Turn on thread page Beta

Cardiff vs. Loughborough? watch

• View Poll Results: Cardiff vs. Loughborough?
    Cardiff!
    63.16%
    Loughborough!
    36.84%

ReputationRep:
    I've got a conditional offer for the 4 year sandwich placement for both unis (both AAB) and I am having a major major MAJOR headache over which to choose.

At first I thought I'd go for Cardiff since it's Russell group and everything but went to a Loughborough talk and have been doing more research since then... found out even more about it and now... I'm a complete mess :woo: :eek3: :woo: :eek3: :woo:

Would be so so SO SO grateful if anyone could give me any advice or anything helpful or anything that might get me to MAKE UP MY MIND!! >_> (I know, I know, should have done more research before this but... gah!!)

ReputationRep:
    Loughborough

ReputationRep:
    Loughborough sounds good if you dont mind me asking op what grades did you get for maths and English GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff.

ReputationRep:
    Of course Cardiff :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I always think of Cardiff as being a 'psychology university'...But go wherever you'll be happiest! Am I right in thinking that Loughborough is a campus university, whilst Cardiff is not? What sort of lifestyle would you prefer of the two? What about proximity to home- would you like to be further away or closer? As both are very universities and both have given you the same offer for the same course, I guess it's more to down to individual aspects of the universities themselves to help you make your decision.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you want tbh. I'd guess at the two being very different. In terms of reputation nd teaching quality they're probably both pretty similar though, they're both good highly ranked universities.

I love Loughborough, been here 4 years now. That said, I have no idea what Cardiff is like. I'll answer any specific questions on Loughborough should you have any.

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff is SO much more respected and valued uni, especially in the field of Psychology. If you do not care about the league table rankings, then maybe you could choose Loughborough, but if I were to choose between Cardiff and Loughborough, I would choose Cardiff _immidiately_.

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff has a much better reputation for psychology, it's as good as the likes of UCL and York, but you may also want to call up the unis and ask them about what type of work placements they offer for the gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psychology:))
    Loughborough sounds good if you dont mind me asking op what grades did you get for maths and English GCSE?
    I got an A for English and A* for Maths so I'm secure there... plus I've been doing lit and maths in A level as well..

(Original post by llacerta)
    What about proximity to home- would you like to be further away or closer? As both are very universities and both have given you the same offer for the same course, I guess it's more to down to individual aspects of the universities themselves to help you make your decision.
    hahahah... sry sry I might have frogotten to mention this but.. I'm an international student so either one is wayyyy away from home :yes:
    At the same time that means I can't go for the open days so I have no idea what the unis are like...

The problem is that I don't mind either environment, and I do care bout ranking, so Cardiff would usually be placed as a higher priority... but Loughborough offers schloarships and Cardiff doesn't... :eek3: The UK is an extremely extremely expensive place for my standards... T-T

Thanks a lot everyone! All this advice was really, really helpful! =D Thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    Wow there amazing grades i really want to go to Loughborough to do Psychology in 2011 but i only have Cs in english and maths and they like Bs or above i dont stand a chance but congratulations on your offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bruce_t89)
    Cardiff has a much better reputation for psychology, it's as good as the likes of UCL and York, but you may also want to call up the unis and ask them about what type of work placements they offer for the gap year.
    this isnt too important, at cardiff you can organise your own so it doesn't really matter. There is the choice of applying for one off the uni database but i applied for all my own according to my specific interests

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 20, 2010

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.