Turn on thread page Beta

Am I too old to be reading this... watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 and recently have been starting to re-read books I read when I was younger (about 10-11 ish), including books by Jaqueline Wilson (Marigold, Midnight etc). Am I too old to be reading this? What do most people my age read? I guess it reminds me of the good old days, before life got serious and exams started... :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow-Dream)
    I'm 17 and recently have been starting to re-read books I read when I was younger (about 10-11 ish), including books by Jaqueline Wilson (Marigold, Midnight etc). Am I too old to be reading this? What do most people my age read? I guess it reminds me of the good old days, before life got serious and exams started... :o:
    Nah, it's okay, just don't let it be your primary reading material! :rolleyes: When I was your age I read LoTR and Roots and a Handmaid's tale and random stuff like that but meh, different strokes I guess.

Tbh last week I picked up my 10 yr old sister's copy of 'Mr Stink' and read it through, pmsl. And 'Diary of a wimpy kid', it's great... and I'm 20! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    since when did books have an age restriction? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    since when did books have an age restriction? :holmes:
    I don't they don't really, but I still get a bit self-conscious about things like that.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, i do this too but with my 14 year old sister's books. (Somehow twilight leaked in there.. :O)

ReputationRep:
    I recently read a book for uni which was aimed at 10 year olds. It was amazing.

I'm all for reading Children's books for a little light hearted entertainment.

Loads of adults read Harry Potter, and Jaqueline Wilson is SO MUCH BETTER.

Have you cried at any of her stories? I haven't read them recently, but I remember crying a lot during the Illustrated mum and Bed and Breakfast Star and the Suitcase Kid.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Naw, who cares.

Same way as quite a few read books at that age meant for older people (Classics and so on).

<3

ReputationRep:
    Some of my very favourite books are still the picture books I read when I was little. And the BFG is still up there in my top 10. Read what makes you happy. My bedtime reading at the moment is the complete collection of Winnie the Pooh, which provides a rather pleasing contrast to the vast quantities of 'important' Spanish and Russian literature I have to wade through as part of my course.

ReputationRep:
    If you like childrens books how about the old biff and chip classics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hello Laura!)
    I recently read a book for uni which was aimed at 10 year olds. It was amazing.

I'm all for reading Children's books for a little light hearted entertainment.

Loads of adults read Harry Potter, and Jaqueline Wilson is SO MUCH BETTER.

Have you cried at any of her stories? I haven't read them recently, but I remember crying a lot during the Illustrated mum and Bed and Breakfast Star and the Suitcase Kid.
    Yep I cried when I read the chapters where (I think her name is Star) didn't want to be in contact with her real dad and also reading Midnight when Jasmine made a move on her friend's brother and her friend shouted at them both. They are good books. I miss being 11 again.

ReputationRep:
    I loved the Girls series by Jaqueline Wilson, that was when I was 13 I read them again at 16 andf still loved them! Still love to read them now, am 20 btw.

My reading tastes have grown up but I still like to read books off my youth, for example I am still trying to find a copy of Bad Dreams by Anne Fine, I must of read it when I was 9 or something but the book has still stuck with me and I can still tell you what happened!

ReputationRep:
    No, you're not too old for this!
    I think it's really great. I still like books from my childhood and imo there's nothing wrong with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ears)
    If you like childrens books how about the old biff and chip classics?
    I wouldn't go back that far. :p: However I did used to love them back then. I checked out the local nursery library out of interest to see how much it had changed since I was there and they don't seem to have them anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to read teenage literature a lot like YA book. I find it more interesting than the older books which tend to drag on sometimes. Don't feel self concious, read what you like. There's no point reading something only to suit others.

ReputationRep:
    I still read humpty dumpty sometimes, so what.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twinkle.twinkle)
    I loved the Girls series by Jaqueline Wilson, that was when I was 13 I read them again at 16 andf still loved them! Still love to read them now, am 20 btw.

My reading tastes have grown up but I still like to read books off my youth, for example I am still trying to find a copy of Bad Dreams by Anne Fine, I must of read it when I was 9 or something but the book has still stuck with me and I can still tell you what happened!
    I loved that series too. Did you watch the tv series on (I think it was) channel four or itv? I would stay in on a Saturday to watch it (it used to be on at 3-ish). I read those when I was about 13. I'm 17 now and want to re-read them.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I don't they don't really, but I still get a bit self-conscious about things like that.
    Why? If you like it read it, I watch kids tv sometimes :giggle: Arthur is the best :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I recently re-read the hungry caterpillar but I still don't get it

ReputationRep:
    well im 28 and i read point horror books still, brings back good memories tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vilongo)
    I still read humpty dumpty sometimes, so what.
    you still read a nursery rhyme?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.