Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'll start by explaining my situation and then pose my question.

Basically, like a lot of people, I had expectations about university, in particular the social side. Where I'm from I have quite a large group of friends and I'm quite well known. All my life I've been able to make friends easily but unfortunately since I've moved to Newcastle I've actually found myself with very few people I could call friends. I've found this a pretty big stress tbh.

It's not like I haven't tried with people though, I was voted (by an overwhelming majority funnily enough) in as student rep for my course and I tried setting up social events, but nobody can be arsed and I've tried meeting people through friends but I haven't really found anyone that I click with.

Has anyone had a similar situation?

ReputationRep:
    Which course do you do? I'm at Newcastle University, and I can understand how hard it can be to meet people. In my first year I only made about 5 friends, and that was through living in catered halls. Student reps don't deal with setting up social things, join your course society, because they'll be sorting the social side of things.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a foundation degree at Newcastle College. I don't believe we have anything like a 'course society' and on becoming the rep it only seemed like a good idea for everyone to get together, so I tried organising some paintballing.

ReputationRep:
    that is a bit scary because I am going to UNI this year and I am hoping to find some good friends and have good social life. I hope that you will be able to find somebody easy going with who you will get on well..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surfista)
    that is a bit scary because I am going to UNI this year and I am hoping to find some good friends and have good social life. I hope that you will be able to find somebody easy going with who you will get on well..
    Well if you consider yourself to be a typical student then I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm one of the very rare cases, but it's not all bad, I just have to invest a bit more time and prep in to sorting out social events.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    Which course do you do? I'm at Newcastle University, and I can understand how hard it can be to meet people. In my first year I only made about 5 friends, and that was through living in catered halls. Student reps don't deal with setting up social things, join your course society, because they'll be sorting the social side of things.
    How many do people need? 0_O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    How many do people need? 0_O
    Over 9000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tallicalad)
    Over 9000
    9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Well I meant like they were the only people I spoke to, in a class of 200 that's pretty little. But I mean, I did't have a big social group, just a small group of close friends

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a foundation degree at Newcastle College. I don't believe we have anything like a 'course society' and on becoming the rep it only seemed like a good idea for everyone to get together, so I tried organising some paintballing.
    Ah, I was thinking it was university. Why don't you organise a trip to the metrocentre? I know everyone does it all the time, but even if you get people out doing something. Just organise it, and be like "come if you want" and then see how many people turn up!

ReputationRep:
    Well I meant like they were the only people I spoke to, in a class of 200 that's pretty little. But I mean, I did't have a big social group, just a small group of close friends
    See, I'd be content with that, but I'm in fact lacking a close group of friends up here! Also, I need to sort out my digs for next year, sick of untidy flatmates!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I was thinking it was university. Why don't you organise a trip to the metrocentre? I know everyone does it all the time, but even if you get people out doing something. Just organise it, and be like "come if you want" and then see how many people turn up!
    Not to sound like someone who doesn't try but I honestly can't see that working, I have very little interest in the people on my course, pretty much because there is little interest directed at moi!

ReputationRep:
    hhmmm i was luckyy i made some reall goood friends... good luck with yours

ReputationRep:
    Cheers. x

ReputationRep:
    Well if you consider yourself to be a typical student then I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm one of the very rare cases, but it's not all bad, I just have to invest a bit more time and prep in to sorting out social events.
    Hmm, if by typical student you mean drinking, acting silly for fun, not going to lectures and going to bar instead, chatting and wasting time instead of studying etc.
    then I am afraid that I am not a typical student
    I can go out and have fun, join societies, but my education is usually on the first place, when it comes to stuff like skiping lectures for bar visit and so on..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.