Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hai, i am apparently doing an assignment about NUclear Fission, it's a group work and i am responsible for the public side of this topic. And i've been researching on googles for hours, i can hardly find anything relevant or useful! If you know anything please help me out!!

If anyone studied MYP then i think u came across this physic assignment in year11 :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Can you expand on what you need to do? I don't know what you mean by 'the public side'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    Can you expand on what you need to do? I don't know what you mean by 'the public side'.
    it's like impact on society or health or environment. This is actually what i think cause my gorup did not explain things clearly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mykk3i)
    it's like impact on society or health or environment. This is actually what i think cause my gorup did not explain things clearly.
    Well Chernobyl is something obvious to put in. The deaths it caused, the damage it did to the land around it and all the people who got cancer because of it. The impact it had on society's view on Fission. Before Chernobyl people were far more in favour of Nuclear power. After it, public opinion switched and many countries turned from Nuclear power until now, where global warming makes Nuclear the greener and more secure energy source.

You should put in the physics of what negative affects it can have. Look at what the typical waste products are, and how they are disposed of.

You could talk about the economics of it. France is doing pretty well having chosen nuclear energy a while ago. They now sell energy to us and other countries, as fossil fuels have become less economic due to increased cost of extraction and green laws, whilst we haven't had time to build our new nuclear power stations as they take so long to build.

ReputationRep:
    Problems: radioactive waste, disasters like chernobyl, decommissioning the power station, changing (flawed) public attitudes towards nuclear

Good things: a lot of power (a handful of uranium will yeild same power as a truck load of coal, or so my teacher tells me), more economic than fossil fuels

ReputationRep:
    Well Chernobyl is something obvious to put in. The deaths it caused, the damage it did to the land around it and all the people who got cancer because of it. The impact it had on society's view on Fission. Before Chernobyl people were far more in favour of Nuclear power. After it, public opinion switched and many countries turned from Nuclear power until now, where global warming makes Nuclear the greener and more secure energy source.

You should put in the physics of what negative affects it can have. Look at what the typical waste products are, and how they are disposed of.

You could talk about the economics of it. France is doing pretty well having chosen nuclear energy a while ago. They now sell energy to us and other countries, as fossil fuels have become less economic due to increased cost of extraction and green laws, whilst we haven't had time to build our new nuclear power stations as they take so long to build.
    What do you mean by "global warming makes Nuclear the greener and more secure energy source" ?
    and so people now dislike nuclear power, less prone to it because of it's destructive power on human health?

THXx!!! Though, you helped a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou Reed)
    Problems: radioactive waste, disasters like chernobyl, decommissioning the power station, changing (flawed) public attitudes towards nuclear

Good things: a lot of power (a handful of uranium will yeild same power as a truck load of coal, or so my teacher tells me), more economic than fossil fuels
    THANKS! My direction is quite clear now! WOot

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by "global warming makes Nuclear the greener and more secure energy source" ?
    and so people now dislike nuclear power, less prone to it because of it's destructive power on human health?

THXx!!! Though, you helped a lot!
    Nuclear fission is greener right now because it does not produce greenhouse gases. Whilst burning fossil fuels does. Greenhouse gases are responsible for global warming. Nuclear fission does produce radioactive waste which is difficult to dispose of safely, but at the moment the more important issue is global warming.

It's more secure because the world's oil sources are drying up, and the largest deposits left which are economically viable to tap are located in unstable countries like Iraq. The price and availability of oil is sensitive to political instability in these countries. What's more, many countries are dependent on pipelines which run through many countries to provide their oil. We saw recently that in a dispute between Russia and Ukraine, Russia simply turned off the tap that provided Ukraine with Russian oil. The whole of Western Europe is dependent on such pipelines for their oil.

However Uranium Ore deposits are not so scarce, and will last hundreds, even thousands of years if managed properly. They are are also located in stable countries. Most of it is mined in Canada and Australia.

After Chernobyl people thought it was too dangerous, and public opinion in most countries led to the decomissioning of nuclear power stations, such as in Germany and UK.

There has only ever been one major catastrophe, which happened when there weren't the failsafes that there are now, when technology was nowhere near as advanced as it is now, and regulations were presumably not as strict in Soviet Russia. However pressure groups such as greenpeace, who in all honesty don't know what they're talking about (e.g. they protest against the construction of a fusion test reactor, citing safety concerns, even though such a reactor is intrinsically safe and can never cause a catastrophe), stir up fear and turn people against nuclear power. However public opinion is shifting back in favour of nuclear power now, and Governments are realising that it is the only viable alternative. The UK is constructing a new fleet of nuclear power stations I believe (search BBC News for 'fission' or 'nuclear power' or something), because North Sea Gas won't last much longer, and coal power stations are unpopular and expensive given the restrictions imposed by EU. Even now we have to buy energy from abroad.

ReputationRep:
    There's also the security concerns some people have - if terrorists could attack a nuclear power station and cause a disaster, or steal nuclear waste to make a 'dirty bomb' for example. Both quite unfeasible, but when has that ever stopped people worrying?

The word has pretty negative connotations to the public (or at least used to) - MRI should be called Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Imaging but they dropped the first bit because people don't like the word nuclear.

ReputationRep:
    Nuclear fission is greener right now because it does not produce greenhouse gases. Whilst burning fossil fuels does. Greenhouse gases are responsible for global warming. Nuclear fission does produce radioactive waste which is difficult to dispose of safely, but at the moment the more important issue is global warming.

It's more secure because the world's oil sources are drying up, and the largest deposits left which are economically viable to tap are located in unstable countries like Iraq. The price and availability of oil is sensitive to political instability in these countries. What's more, many countries are dependent on pipelines which run through many countries to provide their oil. We saw recently that in a dispute between Russia and Ukraine, Russia simply turned off the tap that provided Ukraine with Russian oil. The whole of Western Europe is dependent on such pipelines for their oil.

However Uranium Ore deposits are not so scarce, and will last hundreds, even thousands of years if managed properly. They are are also located in stable countries. Most of it is mined in Canada and Australia.

After Chernobyl people thought it was too dangerous, and public opinion in most countries led to the decomissioning of nuclear power stations, such as in Germany and UK.

There has only ever been one major catastrophe, which happened when there weren't the failsafes that there are now, when technology was nowhere near as advanced as it is now, and regulations were presumably not as strict in Soviet Russia. However pressure groups such as greenpeace, who in all honesty don't know what they're talking about (e.g. they protest against the construction of a fusion test reactor, citing safety concerns, even though such a reactor is intrinsically safe and can never cause a catastrophe), stir up fear and turn people against nuclear power. However public opinion is shifting back in favour of nuclear power now, and Governments are realising that it is the only viable alternative. The UK is constructing a new fleet of nuclear power stations I believe (search BBC News for 'fission' or 'nuclear power' or something), because North Sea Gas won't last much longer, and coal power stations are unpopular and expensive given the restrictions imposed by EU. Even now we have to buy energy from abroad.
    wow absolutely fabulous"D Thxxiess again! I'll research more in depth! Then i guess it would be alright for the presentation xDDD

lol i never knew nuclear fission had such a history haha

ReputationRep:
    wow absolutely fabulous"D Thxxiess again! I'll research more in depth! Then i guess it would be alright for the presentation xDDD

lol i never knew nuclear fission had such a history haha
    You're welcome

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.