Please help, it's really tough!! :( Watch

eqreal
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Physics:

(Take g = 10 m/s2 in this question.) The ends of a light inextensible string, of length 0.7 m, are attached to two fixed points A and B at the same horizontal level, where AQ = 0.4 m and QB = 0.1 m. A particle of mass 0.2 kg is attached to the string at the point P, where AP = PB = 0.3 m. The particle hangs in equilibrium, with the string passing over a small smooth peg fixed at the point Q in the horizontal line between A and B at a distance of 0.1 m from B, as shown below. Give three reasons why the tensions in the three parts, AP, PQ, and QB, of the string have the same value, and find this value. Also, determine the angle between QA and the force exerted on the string by the peg. Refer figure below:

http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSC01488.jpg

The peg is now removed and a particle of mass m kg is attached to the string at the midpoint M of PB. The system hangs in equilibrium with PM horizontal, and AP and MB inclined to the horizontal at angles β and γ respectively, where cos β = 7/9 and cos γ = 1/3, as shown in the figure below. Calculate m

http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSC01486.jpg

Please please help me, i'm stucked and dont even know how to begin. I'll be really appreaciate and thanks alot!
rbnphlp
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by eqreal)
Physics:

(Take g = 10 m/s2 in this question.) The ends of a light inextensible string, of length 0.7 m, are attached to two fixed points A and B at the same horizontal level, where AQ = 0.4 m and QB = 0.1 m. A particle of mass 0.2 kg is attached to the string at the point P, where AP = PB = 0.3 m. The particle hangs in equilibrium, with the string passing over a small smooth peg fixed at the point Q in the horizontal line between A and B at a distance of 0.1 m from B, as shown below. Give three reasons why the tensions in the three parts, AP, PQ, and QB, of the string have the same value, and find this value. Also, determine the angle between QA and the force exerted on the string by the peg. Refer figure below:

http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSC01488.jpg
So what have you tried for the first part?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (627)
91%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (62)
9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed