Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I have been considering a carer in the games industry for quit sometime as a game programmer and now and was looking into a computer science course at essex university, but i have a few questions.

1) How many GCSE's are we looking at to be accepted into Essex university for a computer science course

2) I am sure i read on their website that you have to be aged 21 to apply, Is this true?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kane1993)
    Hey,
    I have been considering a carer in the games industry for quit sometime as a game programmer and now and was looking into a computer science course at essex university, but i have a few questions.

1) How many GCSE's are we looking at to be accepted into Essex university for a computer science course

2) I am sure i read on their website that you have to be aged 21 to apply, Is this true?

Thanks
    I've received two conditionals from the School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering and the only GCSE requirements that I am aware of is that you are required to have at least a C in Maths and Science, and there is no requirement to be 21. I would recommend though, that you don't focus strictly on game design. Studios are going to be much more impressed with a good project in your portfolio than a Computer Science degree specifically relating to game design, although I'm sure it does help :p: .

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help i really apprecaite it, however i was wondering what the chances are of being accepted into the university to do the computer science with grade C's? I mean even if i have GCSE's at grade C in maths and science will i have a good chance of being accepted? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    When I applied they didn't bat an eyelid at my C in Maths, but I did have BBCC in Science so I'm not sure, the only GCSE the commented on was German and that's only because they said that it would really improve my chances of getting a job if I could speak it. They will be more interested in your A Levels anyway, which I wouldn't worry about to much, they only want 300 points which is BBC at A2 and even if you don't get that, they offer a 4 year course which you only need 180 points to get on, which I think is something like a CCE.

ReputationRep:
    What would you suggest the best A level course i take should be? I was thinking on maybe taking ICT for A level, but would that be a good choice for getting a decent amount of points?
    I was also giving some thought on Qantm college in london and maybe taking a Game Disign + development course, but is this a respected diploma among University's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kane1993)
    What would you suggest the best A level course i take should be? I was thinking on maybe taking ICT for A level, but would that be a good choice for getting a decent amount of points?
    I was also giving some thought on Qantm college in london and maybe taking a Game Disign + development course, but is this a respected diploma among University's?
    Maths, Physics, possibly some kind of Graphical Design course, and obviously some kind of I.C.T. and/or Computing course, are all good choices that'll help you get into a degree relating to game development. I wouldn't recommend taking anything just to get points, I took Biology just because I was good at it at GCSE level, turns out I hate it and now I'm barely passing it. Also, make sure you take as many AS levels as possible to maximises you options at A2, so you don't end up being forced to take something you hate at A2 level, like me taking Biology.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.