Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What I mean is, on many university websites, they state you need AAA or ABB for a particular course, my question is when giving out offers can they give you an offer with higher grades than they originally stated? (I applied to imperial with a predicted A*AA, the exact requirements they need)

ReputationRep:
    Yes they can

The usual wording is 'typical offer' which indicates that it can change.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they can. But if they've given you an offer, they have to honour it if you get those grades.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    They can do what ever they want.

Thames valley could give you an A*A*A*A* offer for sock studies or w/e they do (Y)

<3

ReputationRep:
    Usually they don't with the exception of Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, they can give any offer they like. The stated 'typical offer' is just that and by no means says that they won't ask for more than that.

ReputationRep:
    As above, but to be honest since A*AA is just about the highest typical offer that anyone is offering right now I would personally be surprised if they gave you a requirement above this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    As above, but to be honest since A*AA is just about the highest typical offer that anyone is offering right now I would personally be surprised if they gave you a requirement above this.
    economics and computing courses at Cambridge have gone up from A*AA in the prospectus to A*A*A in actual offers this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    economics and computing courses at Cambridge have gone up from A*AA in the prospectus to A*A*A in actual offers this year.
    really? but honestly A*A*A is not unreasonable. If A* existed during my time, I would say most people in the university would still be able to meet that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloudone)
    really? but honestly A*A*A is not unreasonable. If A* existed during my time, I would say most people in the university would still be able to meet that.
    How about philosophy, politics and economics at York. Last year ABB, this year, since the prodpectus was published, increased to AAB. Also Nottingham and Cardiff admitting they've increased minimum offers over prospectus requirements.

ReputationRep:
    How about philosophy, politics and economics at York. Last year AAB, this year, since the prodpectus was published, increased to AAB. Also Nottingham and Cardiff admitting they've increased minimum offers over prospectus requirements.
    from AAB to AAB? aren't those the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloudone)
    from AAB to AAB? aren't those the same
    They were, but he's quietly gone and edited it

ReputationRep:
    I was bellowing as I did it.
    Rather petty though, the fact remains the unis are upping the published grade requirements without telling students..

ReputationRep:
    I was bellowing as I did it.
    Rather petty though, the fact remains the unis are upping the published grade requirements without telling students..
    To be fair, they can't know who's planning to apply to them. The onus is rather on the applicants to check everything including the websites before submitting their applications. Of course, when a uni gets inundated with far more applicants than they expected, naturally the 'price' will go up - which may mean that a lot of people miss out including some who met the original 'typical' offer as at the time they applied, but who don't meet the new one. Even if the uni doesn't publish a new 'typical' offer, the fact remains that if they have a lot more well-qualified applicants to choose from, they'll choose them.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.