Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    please refrain from silly pretentious posts like this
    you don't even know what pretentious means, in fact im sure many of the "big words" that you use you have no idea of the meaning.

the fact you have not addressed any components of my point leads me to believe that I have undermined your views having pointed out that you merely mirror other peoples opinions.

Maybe you can salvage just some of your dignity by highlighting precisely in what way my post was "pretentious."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    ... she said all that because she wants headlines and fence-sitting voters, not because she actually believes in it.
    I believe it, anyway. OF course people who were born and have lived, all of their lives deserve the right to a house before someone who has just arrived into the country. It's not racism, it's called being fair to the people that pay taxes and make this country what it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    I believe it, anyway. OF course people who were born and have lived, all of their lives deserve the right to a house before someone who has just arrived into the country. It's not racism, it's called being fair to the people that pay taxes and make this country what it is.
    Individuals not born in the UK and who are not yet naturalized British citizens are not permitted to apply for council housing.

Only British citizens and asylum seekers may access council housing, allocated on the basis of need.

Immigrants (both EU and non-EU) have no recourse to public funds (i.e. unemployment benefit and housing benefit) and are unable to access these until they have successfully been granted full British citizenship - which may only be applied for after a minimum of 5 years law-abiding permanent residence in the UK.

Economic migrants overwhelmingly outnumber asylum seekers by a factor of approx 15-20.

This has nothing to do with racial/ethnic origin, only immigration status.

ReputationRep:
    I think we should also ban retired British people from moving to the warmth of Spain's coastline.

I mean, that would at least be consistent with the suggestions of some people in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Its rubbish to say Britain is overcrowded. I used to live in Manchester and London which has a high population density. I then moved to a rural part of the Midlands that has a much lower population density because I prefer it.
    All countries have that. Even the most over crowded have areas of low density.

I don't give a toss about the population density of Manchester or London because I choose not to live there.
    So people who have lived in Manchester for all their lives should be forced to move just because the Government is doing enough to curb immigration? How is that fair?

Why don't the whinging poms who complain about Britain being overcrowded live in more rural areas instead of big cities. The point of big cities is they have a lot of people in a small area so complaining about overcrowdedness is idiotic and contradictory
    That is what happened.
    My parents left London because there area was becoming over crowded, noisy, lots of crime etc.
    So they came to a nicely sized town. Now the towns population and jumped by staggering amounts.

Immigration needs to be curbed.

ReputationRep:
    No. The author of that article is just asking to be called "racist".

ReputationRep:
    Immigration is not a problem. Mishandled, non-selective immigration and a focus on forcing the settled population to adapt to the newcomers, rather than the new arrivals conforming to the established way of life in a country, certainly is a problem. This is why Labour have completely failed the country with their immigration policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    No. The author of that article is just asking to be called "racist".
    I think after being blown up and losing his wife that would just bouce off Tebbit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I think after being blown up and losing his wife that would just bouce off Tebbit.
    yes i can see how that would cause bias in his opinion...

still don't agree with it though. not all immigrants are terrorists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    Are you sure? Without the additional demand for services created by arrival of immigrants there would be less jobs anyway surely?

Higher population ---> Greater net demand for services ---> More opportunity for businesses to fill a niche ---> More demand for employees ---> Higher spending power of those individuals ---> More demand for services, etc.
    I was just saying that that was the point the OP was conveying. I made no comments on it's merits :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cucumber sandwich)
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/no...t-immigration/

I agree to 100% with this guy, finally someone who is thinking straight. It is not an advantage for Britain to accept so many immigrants that we do. It is not economically viable in the long run. Because of the terrible integration system in Britain as well, we are just asking for an increase in racism, prejudice and segregation.
    I hope we kick out all the lazy white lower class workers and have them replaced by polish immigrants. That is a country I would live in

You can never have to many Polish people

ReputationRep:
    We're still suffering from the after-effects of immigration in the 1960s (ghettoisation of inner-cities, segregation/riots and drug problems which are almost directly linked to serious crime. I'm not racist or a BNP supported by any means but when my son can't get a job (struggling myself as it is) in 10 years time I'll lament the government.

Search my thread on Magaret Hodge, she talks sense.
    if you can't get a job its probably because someone has better qualifications, don't blame immigrants for your lack of credentials

ReputationRep:
    I would go as far as saying British jobs for British workers though, Californiadreamin.

At the end of the day if Poland etc was so full of skilled workers it's economy would be fantastic.

The industry sector of the British job market is saturated by immigrants and it's not fair. Less foreign workers, more aaprenticeships for younger people, more college places, let's get more British youths into work and off the streets. I think with a purpose in life they'll commit a lot less crime, too, btw.
    the reason you need immigrants is because british youths are on the street and using up all the benefits they ca get.again a sitation of blaming immigrants for a poor work ethic and lack of skills amongs the british working classes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mercifulinpain)
    the reason you need immigrants is because british youths are on the street and using up all the benefits they ca get.again a sitation of blaming immigrants for a poor work ethic and lack of skills amongs the british working classes
    non-working classes, in such instances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mercifulinpain)
    That is a sweeping and quite false generalisation there.

The British working classes can be quite skilled. I believe you are referring to the under class (the uneducated, on benefit scroungers?).

I can assure you, there are children of immigrant families who are just as bad... or worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    All countries have that. Even the most over crowded have areas of low density.

So people who have lived in Manchester for all their lives should be forced to move just because the Government is doing enough to curb immigration? How is that fair?

That is what happened.
    My parents left London because there area was becoming over crowded, noisy, lots of crime etc.
    So they came to a nicely sized town. Now the towns population and jumped by staggering amounts.

Immigration needs to be curbed.
    No-one forces people to live in cities. Have you seen any barb wire and watch towers around cities keeping people in?

Do you have any proof that population of the town where your parents live is increasing due to external migration or simply people moving to it from other parts of the United Kingdom just like your parents did? And why did your parents add to the overcrowding in the town by moving there?

ReputationRep:
    If ever a reason for zero immigration were needed...

surely this it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...languages.html

Schoolchildren speaking 105 languages in reading alone...

ReputationRep:
    Why is it any of your damned business where people choose to live? People don't all have to curcumscribe their lives so as to make yours as convenient as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    No-one forces people to live in cities. Have you seen any barb wire and watch towers around cities keeping people in?
    That is a silly comment.
    There are many factors that prevent people leaving whether that is dependents, financial reasons or tonnes of other factors.

Do you have any proof that population of the town where your parents live is increasing due to external migration or simply people moving to it from other parts of the United Kingdom just like your parents did? And why did your parents add to the overcrowding in the town by moving there?
    I am not sure they keep those kind of statistics, however, what can be said is this. Whenever I talk to people (canvassing or otherwise) immigration is a big issue. They always comment about how many foreigners live in the town now and how many of their friends left because of it.

Now, that is not proof, and it may not be true. But, the perception is almost as bad as the reality. Aside from that, on a national level, immigration needs to be tackled head on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Collingwood)
    Why is it any of your damned business where people choose to live? People don't all have to curcumscribe their lives so as to make yours as convenient as possible.
    Really? But does that principle hold untrammelled in every case, are you going to say the same thing with regard to the disputes between Israel and Palestine?

I think your statement is a huge oversimplification and generalisation. Once again, to make anyone who objects to mass immigration look "unreasonable" "racist" "xenophobic" etc etc

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.