Turn on thread page Beta

Is it time for zero net immigration? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    ENGLAND is over crowded.
    How is "overcrowding" defined? It seems like an entirely arbitrary personal value judgement.

ReputationRep:
    ENGLAND is over crowded. I am not great at geography, but I am sure Cardiff wasn't in England.

Why should I be forced to leave my country just because the Government cannot control immigration? Sorry but I don't accept that at all.
    If you don't like overcrowding, stop washing and the BO would make everyone give you a wide berth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Collingwood)
    How is "overcrowding" defined? It seems like an entirely arbitrary personal value judgement.
    A high population density.
    According to the ONS in 2008 England was more crowded than Holland.

(Original post by Maker)
    If you don't like overcrowding, stop washing and the BO would make everyone give you a wide berth.
    I will not compromise my personal hygiene because this Labour Government is unable to control immigration. A more cynical comment would be, I will not compromise my personal hygiene because this Labour Government is creating new votes for themselves by flooding Britain with immigrants who vote Labour.

ReputationRep:
    "Labour's 'secret plan' to lure migrants"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-migrants.html

ReputationRep:
    4/ Our system needs tightening now.
    How about anyone who goes abroad on holiday shouldn't be allowed back in?

ReputationRep:
    No answer at all: at what point does it become "high"? And why is this bad? And if it is bad, how does it justify the use of coercion to stop people moving around, when they clearly have no problem with it? And if it does, why does it only justify using said coercion against people not from the EU? Or even from the UK: the outer hebredies are far less populated than London, yet I don't think even the most frothing-at-the-mouth "overcrowding" hand-wringer wants internal passports and licences to live in cities, like they have in China.

ReputationRep:

I will not compromise my personal hygiene because this Labour Government is unable to control immigration. A more cynical comment would be, I will not compromise my personal hygiene because this Labour Government is creating new votes for themselves by flooding Britain with immigrants who vote Labour.
    I think its no conicidence that immgration to the UK has increased a lot since the wide spread use of deodourants by men as well as women. And all that perfume and aftershave is just pulling immigrants in like bees to honey.

We all know that cities used to be very smelly and immigration was far less in the past centuries.

ReputationRep:
    No answer at all: at what point does it become "high"? And why is this bad? And if it is bad, how does it justify the use of coercion to stop people moving around, when they clearly have no problem with it? And if it does, why does it only justify using said coercion against people not from the EU? Or even from the UK: the outer hebredies are far less populated than London, yet I don't think even the most frothing-at-the-mouth "overcrowding" hand-wringer wants internal passports and licences to live in cities, like they have in China.
    What the hell are you on about?

(Original post by Quady)
    How about anyone who goes abroad on holiday shouldn't be allowed back in?
    Don't be stupid.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell are you on about?
    Population density is continuous. There is no clear tipping point at which it becomes "too high". The entire use of the term "overpopulation" is a pernicious attempt to lend scientific weight to what is ultimately just an arbitrary personal preference. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it isn't considered moral by most people to enforce one's own preferences at the expense of others.

ReputationRep:
    Population density is continuous. There is no clear tipping point at which it becomes "too high". The entire use of the term "overpopulation" is a pernicious attempt to lend scientific weight to what is ultimately just an arbitrary personal preference. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it isn't considered moral by most people to enforce one's own preferences at the expense of others.
    On a more pragmatic note I would say that when you live in one of the worst London boroughs for primary school places - when schools are having to convert large cleaning cupboards into makeshift classrooms because there are too many children. And when the turnover of foreigners is so high and children are constantly seeking school places mid-term and speak no English, so teachers have to communicate with them via sign language.

I think it is not unreasonable to say that that is disruptive and a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    On a more pragmatic note I would say that when you live in one of the worst London boroughs for primary school places - when schools are having to convert large cleaning cupboards into makeshift classrooms because there are too many children. And when the turnover of foreigners is so high and children are constantly seeking school places mid-term and speak no English, so teachers have to communicate with them via sign language.

I think it is not unreasonable to say that that is disruptive and a problem.
    My local primary and secondary schools which is in a small market town with very few ethnic minorities and immigrants is having more facilities built to accommodate more pupils so its not just a matter of inner cities.

Many city schools has had a continous add ons for years because they have to do more different lessons like art, IT, language labs and science and they need dedicated rooms to accommodate the equipement

I agree kids where English is not a first language can be an issue ands increases the demand on teachers but kids, especially the younger ones learn very quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    My local primary and secondary schools which is in a small market town with very few ethnic minorities and immigrants is having more facilities built to accommodate more pupils so its not just a matter of inner cities.

Many city schools has had a continous add ons for years because they have to do more different lessons like art, IT, language labs and science and they need dedicated rooms to accommodate the equipement

I agree kids where English is not a first language can be an issue ands increases the demand on teachers but kids, especially the younger ones learn very quickly.
    Thats good, but it's hardly a fair comparison... a small market town... to London. I've just said they had to convert a cleaning cupboard because there is too many children. It's not a new IT lab!

And what was that about education cuts just last week...?

ReputationRep:
    Immigration has its limits. The majority of Britain believe it has reached that limit.
    Our cities are over crowded.

Most things are an arbitrary limit. Why calculate poverty at 60% of income why not 65%?

ReputationRep:
    Thats good, but it's hardly a fair comparison... a small market town... to London. I've just said they had to convert a cleaning cupboard because there is too many children. It's not a new IT lab!

And what was that about education cuts just last week...?
    You can sell cupboards for big money in London.

ReputationRep:
    Most things are an arbitrary limit. Why calculate poverty at 60% of income why not 65%?
    Good question, but it is one that was posed to you. Care to answer it?

ReputationRep:
    Immigration has its limits. The majority of Britain believe it has reached that limit.
    Our cities are over crowded.
    Ok, just restate your original position and ignore all criticism. This is why people think the anti-immigration movement is stupid and unreasonable.

I don't.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, just restate your original position and ignore all criticism. This is why people think the anti-immigration movement is stupid and unreasonable.

I don't.
    Well polls shows over 70% of the electorate are concerned about immigration.... It's one of voters top concerns (despite the fact the three main parties maintain a deafening silence on the issue - no surprise, since they are all in favor of mass immigration)

ReputationRep:
    Well polls shows over 70% of the electorate are concerned about immigration.... It's one of voters top concerns (despite the fact the three main parties maintain a deafening silence on the issue - no surprise, since they are all in favor of mass immigration)
    So what? If lots of people wanted to bring back witch burnings, would that make it a good idea?

ReputationRep:
    So what? If lots of people wanted to bring back witch burnings, would that make it a good idea?
    No because lots doesn't equal majority

ReputationRep:

No but is wanting to bring back witch burnings and the English people concerns about historically unprecedented uninvited and unwanted demographic change really a fair comparison...?

First of all your making the assumption that all this immigration is a good thing, its just that the 70+ % of the population cannot see how its benefited them so greatly.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.