Turn on thread page Beta

Is it time for zero net immigration? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    British workers cry because they cbb. Yeah, I'm not up for complete free market movement of people, just because for it to work the entire world would have to adopt it, but I don't think we're in that much trouble yet. Though those who come here and seem to have nothing but disregard for the country should be out (criminals etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Have lower population densities...?
    Well, in that case, her post was confusing. She mentioned that the country had almost 70m people (It's more like 61-62) which is totally unrelated to population density. Netherlands is more densely populated than Britain but they only have 17 million people. Belgium has like 10 million people and it still is more "crowded" than Britain in that respect.

So whether or not shes talking about total population or population density, she's wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunOfABeach)
    What about France and Germany?
    France is three times the size of great Britain and has roughly the same population. Germany, I don't know. I got this from both the Times and the BBC so I think there is probably some truth in it.

ReputationRep:
    What about France and Germany?
    They may have a larger population, but we are more crowded.
    As of 2008, England became the most crowded country in Europe.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...in-Europe.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    They may have a larger population, but we are more crowded.
    As of 2008, England became the most crowded country in Europe.
    Exactly, England - not the UK. The UK is still third. And the population of Britain is unrelated to the population density of Britain. Population wise, the UK is third in Europe. Population density wise, the UK is still third in Europe (or even fifth if you count countries such as Monaco or the Vatican).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpamBa)
    France is three times the size of great Britain and has roughly the same population. Germany, I don't know. I got this from both the Times and the BBC so I think there is probably some truth in it.
    Right but the 70 million figure says nothing. Because Britain still is the third most densely populated country in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, England - not the UK. The UK is still third. And the population of Britain is unrelated to the population density of Britain. Population wise, the UK is third in Europe. Population density wise, the UK is still third in Europe (or even fifth if you count countries such as Monaco or the Vatican).
    To use the United Kingdom as a whole is somewhat foolish.
    The population density differences between Scotland and England are far too great to compare. Even comparing the North of England and the South/Eastern regions, there is huge disparity.

Population density wise, England is top. That is a problem that needs sorting.
    To compare entirely on the basis of population is foolish also, because one country could sufficiently sustain a population of 90m, whereas the UK cannot - In fact, according to an (ex?) adviser to Gordon Brown, the UK can only sustain a population of 30million.

The fact is, England is over crowded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpamBa)
    However Belgium and the Netherlands have higher population densities.

So how is ours by far the highest in europe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    However Belgium and the Netherlands have higher population densities.

So how is ours by far the highest in europe?
    The huge disparity between England and Scotland means comparing the UK as a whole to other countries is foolish. We must compare England and Scotland separately, which means England is (as of 2008) the most crowded country.

ReputationRep:
    The population density differences between Scotland and England are far too great to compare. Even comparing the North of England and the South/Eastern regions, there is huge disparity.

To compare entirely on the basis of population is foolish also, because one country could sufficiently sustain a population of 90m, whereas the UK cannot - In fact, according to an (ex?) adviser to Gordon Brown, the UK can only sustain a population of 30million.

And other countries don't have such differences?

No, the Netherlands is still higher than England.

ReputationRep:
    The huge disparity between England and Scotland means comparing the UK as a whole to other countries is foolish. We must compare England and Scotland separately, which means England is (as of 2008) the most crowded country.
    Source?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Source?
    Just the official figures. Look below.

(Original post by Quady)
    And other countries don't have such differences?

The number of people living in England has overtaken the population density of Holland, which has traditionally been the most densely-populated major nation on the continent.

The population density in England is already almost double the level in Germany and quadruple that in France.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    You mean apart from Belgium and the Netherlands?
    England is the most crowded nation as a whole, it is reduced by the addition of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland...but migrants tend to head towards England and not the others.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6368575.ece

ReputationRep:

What a bunch of crap... every country is like that. Every country has overpopulated and underpopulated areas - north, south, west or east. You don't disregard the North just because the results are not pleasing to you. If every country were to measure it's density like that, the Americans would disregard the Southern states and then they would probably be the most densely populated country in the world. The French would disregard the North of France and they would be the least densely populated country in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Can you please bother checking your facts before posting please?

ReputationRep:
    What a bunch of crap... every country is like that. Every country has overpopulated and underpopulated areas - north, south, west or east. You don't disregard the North just because the results are not pleasing to you. If every country were to measure it's density like that, the Americans would disregard the Southern states and then they would probably be the most densely populated country in the world. The French would disregard the North of France and they would be the least densely populated country in the world.
    I said you could.
    In country wide terms, England is the most crowded, and quadruple that of France.

ReputationRep:
    You mean Net Migration Rate.

And no, it's the UK's fault for having so many colonies, just like France is suffering.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but migrants aren't heading for the highlands are they? There is a reason why they don't live there...migrants head mainly towards London, the Midlands and the big Northern cities, these areas are stupidly crowded, where I live rush hour traffic is stupid getting into Leeds, roads are congested, constant new developments and so forth...I can't see how the Leeds-Bradford area can handle this constant population acceleration without a significant reduction in the quality of life. Also even the most populated American states can't compare to the UK, same with France....France has a much, much larger rural population, smaller cities and vast areas of land upon which to expand into.

ReputationRep:
    Just the official figures. Look below.

The number of people living in England has overtaken the population density of Holland, which has traditionally been the most densely-populated major nation on the continent.

The population density in England is already almost double the level in Germany and quadruple that in France.
    http://www.cbs.nl/en-GB/menu/themas/...ingsteller.htm

Whereas wiki has population: 16,499,084 resulting in a density of 397 per km²

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Can you please bother checking your facts before posting please?
    I have done thanks.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.