Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    England is the most crowded nation as a whole, it is reduced by the addition of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland...but migrants tend to head towards England and not the others.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...in-Europe.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6368575.ece
    The poster I quoted said Britain, not England.

Please check your facts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    I said you could.
    In country wide terms, England is the most crowded, and quadruple that of France.
    Ok. So people should be free to go to Scotland and Wales but not to England? I mean they are after all, in country wide terms, much less crowded than France.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunOfABeach)
    Ok. So people should be free to go to Scotland and Wales but not to England? I mean they are after all, in country wide terms, much less crowded than France.
    Yeah but people don't head there because there are less jobs, they head to the already crowded cities of England and policy should reflect that fact.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but people don't head there because there are less jobs, they head to the already crowded cities of England and policy should reflect that fact.
    Yes but that is true for everyone. British or non-British. Should you stop the Welsh from migrating to England because England is densely populated? why don't you do away with the union then?

ReputationRep:
    In 2008 the average number of people per square kilometre in Britain was 253, rising to 395 in England.

Latest figures from Holland show that its population density was 395 a square kilometre in 2002 and 393 in 2005. It is estimated that English population density will rise to 464 people for every square kilometre by 2031.
    I myself am of immigrant descent and I find the levels of xenophobia on TSR worrying...but can those pro mass migration advocates please explain why the bit in bold is a good thing?

(Original post by Quady)
    The poster I quoted said Britain, not England.
    (Original post by Quady)
    And other countries don't have such differences?

No, the Netherlands is still higher than England.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but that is true for everyone. British or non-British. Should you stop the Welsh from migrating to England because England is densely populated? why don't you do away with the union then?
    But policy reflects reality and not hypothetical situations that are not at the time happening....millions of Welsh people are not moving to already crowded English cities. However millions of migrants since 1997 have moved to already crowded cities making the even more crowded. It adds to social problems as well in my area of Bradford the Asians loathe the new Eastern European migrants...Schools are struggling to cope and the area is even more crowded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    Don't "ugh" me I'm talking theoretically. If they hadn't came over (again theoretically) then they wouldn't know this "better life". A life of poverty? It can't be that bad in Poland surely? Or do you mean Britain? Surely they could go back to their original jobs in Warsaw or Krakow or wherever. Because there's a shortage of jobs over there apparantly.

It just doesn't make for fair society if people who were born and raised in a country are forced to move to another country to practice their trade, not by choice, but because they're forced to because job prospects are dwindling due to immigration.

I'm not saying immigration is a bad thing and I encourage the successful integration of immigrants into British society. But too much is surely going to cause problems.
    As long as Britain is in the EU, the Polish painters and builders and the Romanian beggars will continue to come.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by californiadreamin)
    Even if your son can't get a job I don't believe that's a justification to blame immigration. If he doesn't have the skills and qualifications to better someone that is more qualified then that's his problem not the problem of someone that has entered this country and that is well educated. I would rather someone be hired based on qualification rather than the fact that they are British and 'deserve' the job.

I do agree that something has to be done about illegal immigration and the resources that this is using up. However, those that are here legally doing low paid jobs as well as those very well qualified individuals in better positions; I welcome with open arms and have no problems with whatsoever.
    Also, some illegal immigrants work, pay taxes and can never get any of the services that we pay our taxes for back from it.

ReputationRep:
    I myself am of immigrant descent and I find the levels of xenophobia on TSR worrying...but can those pro mass migration advocates please explain why the bit in bold is a good thing?
    I've provided more up to date figures than the '05 ones used.

Please source figures that show the Netherlands has a lower population density than England.

And the poster said Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I've provided more up to date figures than the '05 ones used.

Please source figures that show the Netherlands has a lower population density than England.

And the poster said Britain.
    Whatever the true figure is the fact is they are very similar.

I also see no particular benefit of having a 70-80 million population, the country is crowded enough as it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepinkpowerranger)
    Also, some illegal immigrants work, pay taxes and can never get any of the services that we pay our taxes for back from it.
    Illegal immigrants work yeah, which is beneficial for themselves, but I don't see how they can pay taxes?

And if these immigrants were entitled to what people have lived here all their lives are entitled to then that's just wrong and unfair.

ReputationRep:
    But policy reflects reality and not hypothetical situations that are not at the time happening....millions of Welsh people are not moving to already crowded English cities. However millions of migrants since 1997 have moved to already crowded cities making the even more crowded. It adds to social problems as well in my area of Bradford the Asians loathe the new Eastern European migrants...
    What I am talking about also reflects reality. First of all, lots of people migrate to England because of London. Scots, Welsh, etc. Now you're talking about letting in millions of people or letting no one. Why the dipole? because that could be applied to Scots and Welsh people as well. Let 0 of them. There are thousands of them migrating. So one could say let thousands of other non-UK citizens migrate to England (why just Scots and Welsh?). What's the difference? you can see how many Scots and Welsh people migrate to England every year and do the same for non-UK citizens. That is ofc, IF overpopulation is the real reason for wanting to have zero net immigration...

Secondly, if you want to stop English immigration because that particular country is overcrowded (again, if that is the real reason) then you should let people migrate to Scotland or Wales (provided they are not allowed to move freely to England)

I'm only saying that because you guys want to distinguish between England, Scotland and Wales. The UK, apparently, is not relevant anymore.

And again by those measures, countries around the world should stop people from migrating to particular areas in the country because these areas are overcrowded. I see no difference.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever the true figure is the fact is they are very similar.

I also see no particular benefit of having a 70-80 million population, the country is crowded enough as it is.
    Quite.

The benefit is having more people to work to provide pension money/healthcare for an ageing population.

70 million isn't going to happen for 30 years anyhow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Quite.

The benefit is having more people to work to provide pension money/healthcare for an ageing population.

70 million isn't going to happen for 30 years anyhow.
    All that would require that would be a replacement fertility rate of around 2.1 children per women. Shipping in an entire population is an increadibly stupid and lazy way of dealing with a working-age deficit.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2&postcount=12

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9&postcount=17

They pretty much sum up my immigration views, any reply to this will be answered in a few hours because I have a load of homework to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepinkpowerranger)
    Illegal immigrants don't pay tax, they are illegal undocumented immigrants....to pay tax you need to be a recorded migrant.

ReputationRep:
    All that would require that would be a replacement fertility rate of around 2.1 children per women. Shipping in an entire population is an increadibly stupid and lazy way of dealing with a working-age deficit.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2&postcount=12

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9&postcount=17

They pretty much sum up my immigration views, any reply to this will be answered in a few hours because I have a load of homework to do.
    errrr no it takes more than that as a higher % of the population is moving into the 65+ age group.

The retirement age can increase but it would be difficult to take it much past 70 since peoples mental capabilities really start dropping off.

ReputationRep:
    What I am talking about also reflects reality. First of all, lots of people migrate to England because of London. Scots, Welsh, etc. Now you're talking about letting in millions of people or letting no one. Why the dipole? because that could be applied to Scots and Welsh people as well. Let 0 of them. There are thousands of them migrating. So one could say let thousands of other non-UK citizens migrate to England (why just Scots and Welsh?). What's the difference? you can see how many Scots and Welsh people migrate to England every year and do the same for non-UK citizens. That is ofc, IF overpopulation is the real reason for wanting to have zero net immigration...

Secondly, if you want to stop English immigration because that particular country is overcrowded (again, if that is the real reason) then you should let people migrate to Scotland or Wales (provided they are not allowed to move freely to England)

I'm only saying that because you guys want to distinguish between England, Scotland and Wales. The UK, apparently, is not relevant anymore.

And again by those measures, countries around the world should stop people from migrating to particular areas in the country because these areas are overcrowded. I see no difference.
    I agree with you because that can’t be the only reason. Look at this:

If 1million people from California moved to Texas, Texas wouldn’t be that bothered. If 1million people from Mexico moved to Texas, Texas would be bothered. In this example Scotland is California and Texas is England. It’s like people are angrier to find that a black guy or immigrant is more skilled than them.

ReputationRep:
    Illegal immigrants don't pay tax, they are illegal undocumented immigrants....to pay tax you need to be a recorded migrant.
    So they never buy anything while they are here? Just food?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So they never buy anything while they are here? Just food?
    They obviously pay indirect taxation.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.