Turn on thread page Beta

Is it time for zero net immigration? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    They obviously pay indirect taxation.
    Sow hats the difference between them and people who work cash in hand?

ReputationRep:
    Yes please, but we should use the australian points system

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonjon123)
    I agree with you because that can’t be the only reason. Look at this:

If 1million people from California moved to Texas, Texas wouldn’t be that bothered. If 1million people from Mexico moved to Texas, Texas would be bothered. In this example Scotland is California and Texas is England. It’s like people are angrier to find that a black guy or immigrant is more skilled than them.
    In this case, Texans do not use overpopulation as an excuse to halt immigration. These guys here claim to be concerned solely with overpopulation. They do not care if the immigrants are French or Bulgarian or Russian or German. They simply do not want people migrating to England because they take space. Space England rations. So I ask, do Scots or the Welsh take less space than ze French?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    errrr no it takes more than that as a higher % of the population is moving into the 65+ age group.

The retirement age can increase but it would be difficult to take it much past 70 since peoples mental capabilities really start dropping off.
    Oh yeah and what happens when the migrants stop having so many children? Just ship more in? This is a small island nation that will have an optium population it can realistically hold...a 70-80 million population is a very bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah and what happens when the migrants stop having so many children? Just ship more in? This is a small island nation that will have an optium population it can realistically hold...a 70-80 million population is a very bad thing.
    OK so what do we do about pensioners in the future?

As you know the birth rate isn't high enough to maintain the population. What's the solution?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunOfABeach)
    In this case, Texans do not use overpopulation as an excuse to halt immigration. These guys here claim to be concerned solely with overpopulation. They do not care if the immigrants are French or Bulgarian or Russian or German. They simply do not want people migrating to England because they take space. Space England rations. So I ask, do Scots or the Welsh take less space than ze French?
    No, but they are British citizens and to deny them the right to move wherever they want inside UK's borders would be, quite frankly, stupid. Besides, they aren't immigrating when they just move to another part of the country. Overpopulation due to people preferring to live in cities than the country side is another issue compared to overpopulation and segregation due to immigration, which is what we are addressing here.

edit: spelling error

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    http://www.cbs.nl/en-GB/menu/themas/...ingsteller.htm

Whereas wiki has population: 16,499,084 resulting in a density of 397 per km²
    "The figures were obtained in a parliamentary answer from the Office of National Statistics."

I hold mine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    OK so what do we do about pensioners in the future?

As you know the birth rate isn't high enough to maintain the population. What's the solution?
    Basically none, Migrationwatch have calculated that if the present ratio of workersensioners is going to be sustained, we will have to allow immigration to such an extent that we will have 300 million people in this country by 2100, which obviously isn't going to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cucumber sandwich)
    No, but they are British citizens and to deny them the right to move wherever they want inside UK's borders would be, quite frankly, stupid. Besides, they are immigrating when they just move to another part of the country. Overpopulation due to people preferring to live in cities than the country side is another issue compared to overpopulation and segregation due to immigration, which is what we are addressing here.
    No there's no such thing as the UK according to these guys. Teaddict said "country-wise" and then went on to compare England to the Netherlands. He concluded that England is more crowded than the Netherlands therefore no Dutch guy can migrate to England. If we were to compare the UK (and take into account British citizenry) then we would reach different conclusions. You can't use Britain when you want to and England when you want to in order to advance your views. That is, if you want to be consistent. If you do want to hold double standards then fine. But a lot of people may take issue with that.

edit: and people do migrate when they move from one country (Scotland) to another (England). Again, if you want to take England as a separate country then this is how you should proceed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunOfABeach)
    No there's no such thing as a UK according to these guys. Teaddict said "country-wise" and then went on to compare England to the Netherlands. He concluded that England is more crowded than the Netherlands therefore no Dutch guy can migrate to England. If we were to compare the UK (and take into account British citizenry) then we would reach different conclusions. You can't use Britain when you want to and England when you want to in order to advance your views. That is, if you want to be consistent. If you do want to hold double standards then fine. But a lot of people may take issue with that.
    I agree with you, but the UK as a whole is still very crowded. The fact remains though, that people who immigrate will most likely immigrate to England though, so the problem still persists.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you, but the UK as a whole is still very crowded. The fact remains though, that people who immigrate will most likely immigrate to England though, so the problem still persists.
    Yes the UK is overcrowded but what I wanted to dispute is that the UK is not the most overcrowded "country" in Europe. The answer I got from people was that England is the most overcrowded country (correct) and that's why the whole of the UK must have 0 immigration (???).

And again, if people want to migrate to Scotland or Wales, by your standards, they should be free to do so. The UK is not a country. England, Wales and Scotland are. The UK is a union. Much like the European Union. So if England is to respect the UK's "wishes" to let everybody in, I don't see why she shouldn't respect the EU's wishes to let people in.

ReputationRep:
    Lets hope Cameron lives up to his promise of a 75% cut in Immigration.

ReputationRep:
    Illegal immigrants don't pay tax, they are illegal undocumented immigrants....to pay tax you need to be a recorded migrant.
    Oh yeah of course.... my mistake. Fake IDs and documents don't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Yes it is isn't it

Whereas the Poles are going home as sterling has collapsed.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8473869.stm

ReputationRep:
    Removing all those asylum seekers would be a good place to start.

Remove them all and do it now please. With force if necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Seems reasonable, immigration should solely be based on economic benefit to the UK. It's not the UK's responsibility to house the wafes and strays of europe. As has already been mentioned, we are a small island nation.

For those who say, lets get lots of eastern europeans in because they work harder / people on benefits etc. You have to understand that any capitalist society needs a certain number of unemployed benefit scrounger types. Its a necessary evil of capitalism, otherwise labour rates, inflation etc would go nuts.

So as I said before, economic benefit should be the sole basis of allowing migrants in. This seems the most reasonable system.

ReputationRep:
    I clarified later, sorry I should have said 'gone elsewhere'.

ReputationRep:
    Basically none, Migrationwatch have calculated that if the present ratio of workersensioners is going to be sustained, we will have to allow immigration to such an extent that we will have 300 million people in this country by 2100, which obviously isn't going to work.
    Haven't you just said the problem is very bad?

I already said the retirement age will rise (not factored by migrationwatch), migration won't do it alone. But without migration raising the retirement age won't do it alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joluk)
    Lets hope Cameron lives up to his promise of a 75% cut in Immigration.
    Again, why does the UK want net migration with proportionally more being economically active?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepinkpowerranger)
    Oh yeah of course.... my mistake. Fake IDs and documents don't exist.
    Are you claiming illegal migrants purchase fake documents and IDs simply so they can pay tax, why would anybody take the risk of being caught...so they can pay tax?

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.