Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    In which case the English are 'anti-English'. Which may well be true.
    And why is that then? Because they keep voting them in? Well it would be good to remember Labour can only really ever rule of England through relying on Celtic grievance votes from Scotland and Wales... but you have a slight point... the English have always thought they could trust their leaders and they have kept on trusting them and voting for them. But I think now they are beginning to realise the extent of the betrayal. Hence Labour will be out later this year.

ReputationRep:
    People like that blogger are longing for a time long gone, they seek for an age that will never return.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    And why is that then? Because they keep voting them in? Well it would be good to remember Labour can only really ever rule of England through relying on Celtic grievance votes from Scotland and Wales... but you have a slight point... the English have always thought they could trust their leaders and they have kept on trusting them and voting for them. But I think now they are beginning to realise the extent of the betrayal. Hence Labour will be out later this year.
    Sure. Then the Tories will come in and enact policies which will make a real difference to immigration right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Sure. Then the Tories will come in and enact policies which will make a real difference to immigration right?
    No because they will be in office, not in power - as a party they are finished.

So are you a left-liberal who doesnt like being English very much or first / second generation immigrant with a chip on your shoulder towards people who want England to remain English, or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Disagree.

I live in Bradford, believe me the place is a mess.
    Its not a policy I would enjoy seeing used by I think its better for society. There are simply so many immigrants that they just seem to clump together. In wilts there is far less ethnic diversity so people just integrate easily. Unfortunately in areas such as Bradford even kids indentify other by ethnicity first and character second. I hate the sound of a school like that. It sounds like there is so little social cohesion its disgusting and can only be improved by stopping ethinic immigration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meebodied)
    So technically we have the automatic right to settle in Rome, Germany and so on? If all this is a numbers game :rolleyes:
    If you are a British citizen, then you DO have the automatic right to settle in Rome (Italy), Germany and any other EU member state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammythedodger)
    To be fair, part of the problem is that they are taking a lot of unskilled jobs, as well as skilled jobs.

I think the point of view he's conveying is that, without the mass immigration of the past 50 years, there would be less competition for jobs in general.
    Are you sure? Without the additional demand for services created by arrival of immigrants there would be less jobs anyway surely?

Higher population ---> Greater net demand for services ---> More opportunity for businesses to fill a niche ---> More demand for employees ---> Higher spending power of those individuals ---> More demand for services, etc.

ReputationRep:

So are you a left-liberal who doesnt like being English very much or first / second generation immigrant, or what?
    I don't get what you mean? Surely they will have a mandate to make radical changes to immigration rules, by withdrawing from the EU as a starting point.

I'm just doing very well in life and since my economic situation has developed at the same time immigration has been around I'm not advocating changing the status quo.

I like being English but I don't see how migrants have stopped my ability to be so. I can eat a full English on a delayed 1st class, looking awesome with cuff links reading the Times etc... how do migrants impinge on my ability to 'be English'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cucumber sandwich)
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/no...t-immigration/

I agree to 100% with this guy, finally someone who is thinking straight. It is not an advantage for Britain to accept so many immigrants that we do. It is not economically viable in the long run. Because of the terrible integration system in Britain as well, we are just asking for an increase in racism, prejudice and segregation.
    As funny as your sig is, I have to disagree with you. What is an "intergration system"? and please elaborate how it is not economically viable.

Infact I'd argue the opposite. As a capitalist country, we really on immigrants to take the lower end jobs that only or sometimes not even desperate students would take. Capitalism needs to constantly grow inorder to survive. Products need to get cheaper for this to happen. Costs are lessened by using cheap labour. There was a time when the countries proletariat poulation were sufficient to satisfy this need of cheap labour, however due to the minimum wage as well as the development of capitalism, immigrants are now the cheapest source of labour. Kick out, or even stop immigration completely, and watch as the cost of living rises to such an extent that many of us fall back into poverty. Also it will contradict Capitalism's need to grow and will perhaps lead to the **** up of our society.

Racism, prejudice and segregation are largely a result of the individuals attitudes as a result of the mass media. Had it not been for the focus on Islam after 9/11, there would not be this sense of islamaphobia. Organizations such as BNP and EDL provoke and condemn their counterparts ie ISLAM4UK who are just as resonposible for fanning anti-islamist and anti-foreign attitudes. It actually has little to do with the actuall immigration.

ReputationRep:
    OP your asking on the wrong forum tbh, A because its a student forum, and most are immature pricks and B most people on here are not british, so you will get negged to hell, becuase your stopping them from coming to this country, so best do this on a more serious forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talveer)
    I also find it funny how no one had problems with muslim's pre-9/11 but now everyone hates muslism's.
    Errrrr they did.

Don't you remember the BNP's '97 party political broadcast?

ReputationRep:

So are you a left-liberal who doesnt like being English very much or first / second generation immigrant with a chip on your shoulder towards people who want England to remain English, or what?
    I fail to see any connection between "left-liberal" as you put it and a hate for England?

I also think you distort current racial situations by stating that first or second generation immigrants have negative attitudes towards those minority british who want to "ethnically cleanse" britain of all foreigners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Disagree.

I live in Bradford, believe me the place is a mess.
    We don't have this problem in London. Incidentally, I'm pretty sure the Polish, Pakistani and Indian folks in Bradford are all capable of speaking a rudimentary level of English - especially if they are young or have spent a significant period of time in the UK (e.g. > 5 years) or if they have been educated in British schools.

Surely people would need to socialize with each other in school environments, or co-operate in work environments. What's the excuse?

Here in London we have numerous multinational organizations' offices which are wholly multiethnic. We have individuals from every continent bar Antarctica. I'm pretty sure folks of different ethnicities in Bradford will often have common interests (e.g. football, cricket, food, sport, work, entertainment, music etc.) - so what's the excuse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logic123)
    OP your asking on the wrong forum tbh, A because its a student forum, and most are immature pricks and B most people on here are not british, so you will get negged to hell, becuase your stopping them from coming to this country, so best do this on a more serious forum.
    Agreed.

Personally i believe that immigration should definitely decrease, however, we also need to sort out our welfare system, because if all the unemployed british people were properly pushed to go out and do the jobs that the legal immigrants do then we wouldn't have to rely on them doing the low paid jobs + it would also help solve britains unemployment level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by az1992)
    I fail to see any connection between "left-liberal" as you put it and a hate for England?

I also think you distort current racial situations by stating that first or second generation immigrants have negative attitudes towards those minority british who want to "ethnically cleanse" britain of all foreigners.
    okay, well left liberal politics (by which I mean the politics of Labour) and which are only liberal in a sense, are to all intents and purposes anti English.

Your second point isnt entirely clear though... who the minority British you are referring to are?

ReputationRep:
    okay, well left liberal politics (by which I mean the politics of Labour) and which are only liberal in a sense, are to all intents and purposes anti English.

Your second point isnt entirely clear though... who the minority British you are referring to are?
    please explain the logic in a political party, whose existance relies on the british public, to be anti-british? although they may appear in the media otherwise, politicians are not stupid and many have been fortunate enough to go through an education we can only dream of. Therefore I am sure they are fully aware that any deliberate "anti-british" policies would mean night night for them.

Also what do you mean by anti-british?

My second point was commenting on your view that all first or second generation immigrants have a "chip" on their shoulder about british people. I fail to see any actual real world manifestation of this and that is despite living in a community with a high ethnic population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aramiss18)
    In my opinion not entirely but I think immigration should be cut drastically and a points system should be introduced taking into account many factors such as age, skills and, im sorry, ethnicity. I moved to Leeds in September from Wilts and was pretty shocked at how there is practically no integration between ethnicities and in all honesty it annoys me a lot. Pakis stick with pakis and even my half-paki flat mate from Bradford absolutely hammers pakis. From what I can take from her stories integration in Bradford is non-existant even between children from other ethnicities. It seems to me that "muliculturalism" is laughable as there are too many people from other ethnicities so people dont need to integrate with the indigenous population. Another flatmate is Indian but I am, to my knowledge, his only white friend along with our other white flatmate. Its just stupid and the situation is laughable.
    There is already a points based system!! I don't get why immigration is such a concern. As far as I'm aware non-EU migration has not increased under Labour, and Labour have taken steps to make non-EU immigration more difficult, such as introducing the point-based system. The most noticeable increase in migrants is from the EU, and we can't do anything about that. Can anyone provide figures showing an increase in the rate of non-EU migration, or are people adding 2 and 2 and getting 70 million?

Also take half an hour to watch comedian Doug Stanhope's take in immigration, it's both funny and informative (it's in three parts, this is part one) :

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talveer)
    I don't know. Britain built its whole nation and empire off other nations by force.

You cant really moan about some people coming here to work.

How do you think India felt about Britain making millions of its tea trade for itself and then giving half of the country away to muslims.
    Oh, I didn't know the Somalia and Arab Muslims got half of Indian. Muslims are not an ethnicity, say Pakistanis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    We don't have this problem in London. Incidentally, I'm pretty sure the Polish, Pakistani and Indian folks in Bradford are all capable of speaking a rudimentary level of English - especially if they are young or have spent a significant period of time in the UK (e.g. > 5 years) or if they have been educated in British schools.

Surely people would need to socialize with each other in school environments, or co-operate in work environments. What's the excuse?

Here in London we have numerous multinational organizations' offices which are wholly multiethnic. We have individuals from every continent bar Antarctica. I'm pretty sure folks of different ethnicities in Bradford will often have common interests (e.g. football, cricket, food, sport, work, entertainment, music etc.) - so what's the excuse?
    Yeah, I live in London. But, in some areas such as southall or tower hamlets have a high population of Bengali’s and Indians.

ReputationRep:
    As long as someone needs help, we have a right as a wealthy country to help. It is NOT time for 0 net immigration.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.