Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I have an offer of A*AAB and I'm wondering if I miss a grade would I still have a chance of getting in? Like if I got AAAB or as I think may be more likely A*ABB am I likely to still be considered?
    Thanks
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Ultimately it depends on how much you miss your offer by, and even then a lot of it is down to luck. If you miss your offer you're not automatically rejected; they either put you in the Summer Pool (usually Mathmos who miss STEP offers) or they consider you and all the others who have missed their offer individually and decide if they're going to let you in or not. Last year three of my friends missed their AAA offers by getting AABB, where one of the Bs was at most 4 UMS marks off an A in each case; two of them got in, one didn't. That's not to say that the majority of people who miss their offer get in, it's just that the two that did were very lucky.

Anyway, don't resign yourself to missing your offer just yet... just work your arse off for a couple of months!

ReputationRep:
    On my offer letter (Downing, PhysNatSci) it said that if I didn't meet the grades then it would be very unusual to be accepted - or something along those lines. I think only Maths applicants get in after missing them, because Cambridge can see their STEP scripts.

ReputationRep:
    Compare the offers to admissions numbers in these statistics:
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...niversity.html

As you can see, there is a significant difference. These people who get offers but don't start in October are all people who failed their offers.

As a general rule if you fail your offer then you won't be able to start the course. However it is not an automatic rejection. They review the files of all applicants who missed their offers in late August and make a decision on each one whether to a) reject b) put in the summer pool or c) let in anyway. At that stage much depends on
    a) how much you failed your offer by
    b) whether there are any circumstances which might explain this underperformance
    c) how highly you were ranked (i.e. were you the top ranked maths candidate or were you the 5th ranked candidate and only just got an offer)
    d) how many other people failed their offers and how many rooms they have available.

Note that colleges always over-offer, that is, they make more offers than they have places because they know that some people will fail their offer.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for computer science, offered A1 A1 A2 in a specific set of subjects, plus 1 in STEP II or III. Got A1 A2 A2 in those subjects, 3 and U in STEP. Was summer pooled and accepted.

On the other hand, that makes me one of like 5 in the last 4 years for my subject.

ReputationRep:
    Don't want to make a long reply, but if you don't meet the required grades..your screwed. That's what backup's are for! and thats why Oxbridge only takes the best.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Topaz_eyes)
    On my offer letter (Downing, PhysNatSci) it said that if I didn't meet the grades then it would be very unusual to be accepted - or something along those lines. I think only Maths applicants get in after missing them, because Cambridge can see their STEP scripts.
    That's funny cos Clare College wrote pretty much the exact opposite - there is still a good chance you may be accepted if you narrowly miss your offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    That's funny cos Clare College wrote pretty much the exact opposite - there is still a good chance you may be accepted if you narrowly miss your offer.
    This is precisely the sort of thing that will vary amongst both subjects and colleges.

ReputationRep:
    If you had posted this last year, I would have agreed with the above; they can be very strict. But bare in mind, this is the first year with the A* requirement and you can expect many more people to miss their offer, I think - relatively speaking. So may be that will make things more lenient?
    The relevance of the subject is also important and the number of UMS marks probably.

ReputationRep:
    Very, if you miss it, you don't deserve to go, simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CapitalismRocks)
    your UMS marks are a bit ****

ReputationRep:
    Tosh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    your UMS marks are a bit ****
    They did the job, got me into the best Universities in the UK :p:

ReputationRep:
    They did the job, got me into the best Universities in the UK :p:
    Stop being mean to people man!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    Stop being mean to people man!
    I'm not? Clearly if one does not meet the requirements, they do no desereve to go. The same applies to me, but I won't be missing my grades.

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend, who 2 years ago, got AAB when the offer was AAA and she got in. We were all really surprised, but she was head girl and extremely clever.
    I guess you have to really impress at the interview

ReputationRep:
    I'm not? Clearly if one does not meet the requirements, they do no desereve to go.
    Yeah but thats not exactly true is it...If there are 10 offer holders for, say, 8 Maths places and 4 of them miss the offer...in your eyes they may not deserve to go - but it is certainly likely that two of them will get a place.

In years to come, when people come to you for advice...which they will...you shouldnt talk like that lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    They are among the best universities among the country, selecting only the most intelligent candidates, so you do the maths. :p:

Just work hard, then you won't regret anything. There is still plenty of time.

ReputationRep:
    How about for IB offers? My offer is 40 points, 7/6/6 at HL (which is much harder than A*AA at A-level, mind you.

I'm confident of getting 7/6/6 in my HLs and 7/7/5 in my SLs and 3 core points, which makes 41 points (up one on the overall offer) but down one on the HL part of the offer. Will I still get in?

I'm an international student, applying to Robinson by the way, if that makes any difference...

ReputationRep:
    it depends: I heard of someone for English getting AAB and getting in because she got full marks in all of her English modules and top 5 in the country overall for it.

Know of someone who failed their maths offer and got pooled then accepted (to a better college) and someone else who failed their maths offer, but did better than the one who was pooled and accepted yet was rejected the year after.

So it depends.

You can virtually guarantee getting full marks in biology, maths and physics though if you put the work in by reading revision guides/ class notes and doing enough practice papers so I don't see why this is even something you're contemplating...

However marking is sometimes a bit dodgy for English so I accept that it's a valid worry for that alone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.